Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 1/1/2005 11:24:26 PM EDT
they say that the P230 is obsolete and the P232 is the latest......what are the diff. between them? thanks
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 8:11:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/2/2005 8:14:09 AM EDT by P35FAN]
Not much. Externally the P232 has fewer serations on the rear of the slide for gripping while cycling the slide manually. A post on Sig Forum said the changes were mainly aimed at reducing machining costs and making the pistol cheaper to manufacture. The feed ramp is supposed to be slightly differnt also. I have a P232, its a good pistol. Much more reliable than my PPK/S & about 2/3 the weight while carrying. Repost this on Sig Forum & you may get a more detailed answer.
I dont think the P230 is obsolete, the P232 is just further evolution of the design.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 9:59:49 AM EDT
hmmm thats a good question! i had a p230 several years ago that i really liked and performed flawlessly for me, like an idiot, i got rid of it. fast forward to today, i have a p232 bought brand new, i have 500 rounds thru it, from the first time i shot it about 80% of the time the slide would not lock back after emptying a mag, tried 3 mags, same results. had dealer send it back to sig, nearly TWO months later i got it back, only thing they said was slide was replaced, well i tried a 100 rounds thru it and now about 30 % of the time the slide doesnt lock. i love the gun, but im thinking about trading in for something else, i dont like a gun that malfunctions.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 10:45:29 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 2:56:06 PM EDT
isnt there one model in .380 and one in .32?
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 1:59:16 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 8:24:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 40calibersnoopy:
hmmm thats a good question! i had a p230 several years ago that i really liked and performed flawlessly for me, like an idiot, i got rid of it. fast forward to today, i have a p232 bought brand new, i have 500 rounds thru it, from the first time i shot it about 80% of the time the slide would not lock back after emptying a mag, tried 3 mags, same results. had dealer send it back to sig, nearly TWO months later i got it back, only thing they said was slide was replaced, well i tried a 100 rounds thru it and now about 30 % of the time the slide doesnt lock. i love the gun, but im thinking about trading in for something else, i dont like a gun that malfunctions.

I might have a solution for you.
The slide catch lever (part 14) on mine was forever twisting and popping off when I was cleaning the pistol, and after studying it I noticed that there was a slight bend in the front end of the slide catch lever spring (part 15) that was pushing the lever sideways toward the inside of the frame.
I bent that spring back straight, so that it was "flat" and wouldn't push sideways on the lever, and that pretty much ended the problem of that lever wanting to come off everytime I touched it while cleaning.
The next time I fired the pistol however the slide wouldn't lock open on an empty mag reliably, and I could see a skid mark on the side of the mag follower where the lever was sliding down the side of it. At that point I realized that the slight bend in the spring had been there for a reason - to insure that the slide catch lever engaged the magazine follower positively every time.
I bent the spring back so that it pushed sideways a little and the slide has locked perfectly every time since then.
Might be worth a try on yours since you like the pistol in all other respects, if you can see that mark on the left side of your mag followers.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:11:26 PM EDT
i believe the 232 was designed for hollowpoint, whereas the 230 was designed for ball.
Top Top