Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2004 7:01:03 PM EDT
Well after carrying my govt model Kimber 1911 on me for about a month, I've decided that I can't do this anymore. I decided to carry it because I'm very accurate with it and I like the power of the .45, plus I love 1911s. But the size and and weight is very cumbersome. It driving me crazy!!  When I walk the butt of the grip jabs me in the side. When I sit, the back and butt end of the grip jab me in the side. Also being its a 5'' barrel, the barrel goes far down into my pants and hits the seat and pushes back up.  This is extremely uncomfortable when on a couch or soft chair.  So to say the least I'm dissapointed and thought I'd rant a little bit to you all.  Pissed off actually, I don't really want to carry my G19, but it looks like I may have to.  I have a Versa Max 2 and it is a great holster, but it didn't alleviate much of the uncomfortablity.  I don't have a gun belt(have one on order, hasn't arrived yet) and the weight of the gun makes my pants sag down constantly.  I have to keep pushing them back up.  I don't think that the belt would help this much.  Oh well, not much else to do.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:10:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Odd. I know many people like to carry full sized 1911s, and I'd assume they do so without much trouble or they wouldn't. I have a VM2 on order for my USP Tactical that I am hoping will arrive on Tuesday after I mail out the money order via priority mail tomorrow. I'm a fairly big guy though (6', barrel chested and kinda stocky), so I hope it won't be a problem to carry mine, at least for the winter. I may get a compact after the winter season. This is going to be my first concealed weapon, and I do realize that it's a pretty big weapon to carry concealed. I'm going to finally get my CCW permit here in about 2 weeks if all goes as planned.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:11:16 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Odd. I know many people like to carry full sized 1911s, and I'd assume they do so without much trouble or they wouldn't. I have a VM2 on order for my USP Tactical that I am hoping will arrive on Tuesday after I mail out the money order via priority mail tomorrow. I'm a fairly big guy though (6', barrel chested and kinda stocky), so I hope it won't be a problem to carry mine, at least for the winter. I may get a compact after the winter season. This is going to be my first concealed weapon, and I do realize that it's a pretty big weapon to carry concealed. I'm going to finally get my CCW permit here in about 2 weeks if all goes as planned.

You are in Arizona, just open carry!  
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:31:31 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Well after carrying my govt model Kimber 1911 on me for about a month, I've decided that I can't do this anymore. I decided to carry it because I'm very accurate with it and I like the power of the .45, plus I love 1911s. But the size and and weight is very cumbersome. It driving me crazy!!  When I walk the butt of the grip jabs me in the side. When I sit, the back and butt end of the grip jab me in the side. Also being its a 5'' barrel, the barrel goes far down into my pants and hits the seat and pushes back up.  This is extremely uncomfortable when on a couch or soft chair.  So to say the least I'm dissapointed and thought I'd rant a little bit to you all.  Pissed off actually, I don't really want to carry my G19, but it looks like I may have to.  I have a Versa Max 2 and it is a great holster, but it didn't alleviate much of the uncomfortablity.  I don't have a gun belt(have one on order, hasn't arrived yet) and the weight of the gun makes my pants sag down constantly.  I have to keep pushing them back up.  I don't think that the belt would help this much.  Oh well, not much else to do.

Very willing to accept donations......Texan's don't mind carryin' and old 1911 Kimber.  I've got a belt and holster that would make a good home.

Always willing to help.....let me know.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:34:57 PM EDT
[#4]
at 5'11" 180# I cannot easily carry a fullsize gun concealed. To carry my g-22 i would have to seriously change my clothing. It is routinely 100+degrees here. a jacket or vest is not really an option. Even with the gun fairly well hidden, a big gun is a pain in the arse to carry. My only advise is to down gun. IMHO a CCW gun is a tool, not necassarily the ultra- cool gun du-joir. I like 1911s,  but FOR ME i would never carry one as CCW. I use a SW TI .38 and hardly know its there.
BTW a good gun belt, or even a good THICK leather belt, can be a big help. Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:39:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Belly band.  Glock 30 or 26.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:50:41 PM EDT
[#6]
+1 get a snubbie.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:04:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Nothing to add, but I DO have a good home for the Versa Max 2 if you are looking to get rid of it.  I was going to order one soon for my Kimber.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:25:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Try a different holster.  I use a Galco Avenger.  It is a strong side holster outside the waist band.  This might work better for you.  Don't give up carrying what you are best with without trying all the options.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 2:58:45 AM EDT
[#9]
I've been carrying a full stainless kimber for over three years now everyday with no discomfort.I personally like the bladetech inside the waist band with the adjustable belt loops and flab tab.I wouldn't give up on the kimber if you are more confident in it than your glock just look into other carry options.
Sureshot45
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:57:38 AM EDT
[#10]
I understand where you are coming from.  That is why I carry my Commander.  The 4 inch barrel is just short enough to rid several of the problems you mention.  As for the weight, YOU NEED A GOOD BELT!  What belt did you order?  There is no way you will sinch up a regular belt tight enought to hold a pistol to spread the weight around the entire waistline.  With a good belt, the holster will do its job better.

What position are you placing the holster /  gun on your waist?  4 or 5 o'clock?  If not try it there with the new belt when it comes in.   What is your body build like?

All of this will help a lot with your 1911, and also with your Glock.  

I have several Galco belts, I have 3 kids so I am on a budget myself, and a dedicated pistol belt is the smartest thing I have ever done for carry.  I will go on a limb and say, I think a good belt is more important that any holster.

OK, I am off the soap box now.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:09:50 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm a staunch 1911 guy, and I have experienced some similar feelings regarding the carry of a full size 1911.
So, I purchased an older Detonics Combatmaster(which is about the smallest 1911 pistol ever made), and made some modifications to it so it would fit my hand(hi-cut frontstrap under the trigger guard, and checkered 40lpi). Then I had it matte finished hard-chromed to resist corrosion from sweat and to resist holster wear.
The Detonics has the rear sight moved forward to a spot just behind the ejection port, so the rear sight blade doesn't rub on you. The hammer is bobbed, so it doesn't stick out to rub you either.
The butt is considerably shorter(holds 6 rounds). The muzzle is considerably shorter(3"). Overall weight is less. It is about the size of a Walther PPK, but a little thicker in width.
This gave me a fighting handgun of the caliber I wanted, but easier to conceal and carry.
I normally use a Galco Summer Special IWB holster, which I think carries comfortably, but for ultimate comfort, I sometimes use a Galco Concealable(which is outside the pants, and not nearly as concealed as the Summer Special).

There are now some other guns available which are just as small as the Detonics, so there is even more choice than I had when I bought my gun.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 5:14:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Lightweight Commander-sized or even smaller 1911s will do well for you. Less weight, shorter length, and...provided you don't get too small...still very easy to hit with and pack a decent punch when they arrive. I often carry my old LW Officer's Model or my Kimber ProCarry and have much confidance in either.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 5:51:07 AM EDT
[#13]
+1 if you like the power of the .45 (I do) and the fullsize 1911 is too big, then try a smaller version.  

P.S.  Don't get rid of the Kimber....
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:06:38 AM EDT
[#14]
A good belt will make a huge difference.  I also find I increase my comfort when I put a mag. pouch on the off side (tends to balance a little better).  When I sit in my car seat the wrap around style of seat causes a little discomfort.   So if the trip is more than 45 min I take the holster off.

The only issue I have is:  I am thin enough I have no meat over my hip bones.  If I don't arrange the items on my belt correctly I can get a pressure point on one of my hips.  I have the same problem with my backpacks too, so this is nothing unusual for me.

The sweet spot for my holster is the small pocket  between the point of my hip and where my buttock starts to move as I flex it.

If I had to take a guess the push up problem is a result of the insufficient belt letting the holster sag too low.  The belt should be snug but not tight.  I can jog with mine with a little movement in the rig, but its not hitting me in the armpits nor is in danger of slipping off.

Maybe you can't find comfort with the 1911 and a Versa Max 2, but put it on a proper belt before you write it off.

BTW:  It has usually taken me a few weeks of experimentation to find the sweet spot with my rigs.  don't give up too quickly.

Kent
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:27:30 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
put it on a proper belt before you write it off.

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:56:22 AM EDT
[#16]
>> I decided to carry it because I'm very accurate with it and I like the power of the .45, plus I love 1911s. But the size and and weight is very cumbersome.<<

Welcome to the real world of CCW.  Lots of folks start out with some big honkin' rhino-stompin' Thunder Cannon, and find out that it just isn't worth it.   Downsize, get you something small and light that you will feel comfortable carrying, and you will be much better off.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:09:48 AM EDT
[#17]
As mentioned before, you may want to try a 4" lightweight model. I'm 5'9" and 180 pounds, and I can conceal Kimber Pro Tac fairly easily with a baggy shirt. It is slightly heavy, but to be honest, when wearing it around I hardly notice it, and my pants don't sag. I don't have a gun belt, but do have a good thick (and wide) leather belt, and it works pretty well.

I'd try a good belt first. It may very well do the trick.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:16:43 AM EDT
[#18]
I carried a full size 1911 for some time.  I now carry a Glock 23 and feel much better and I weight less too.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:52:58 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:14:09 AM EDT
[#20]
5-8, 164lb. Carry Springfield fullsize .45 and extra mag. Before that carried HK USP40f and extra mag. No trouble concealing.

I would echo the senitment of others here, the gun belt makes for an infinitely more stable carry situation.

Here is an option that I think few undertake but conceals well and maintains firepower, function and accuracy.

Commander length 1911 in 38super (or 9x23 if you have the bread). And modify the frame with an Ed Brown bobtail setup. Why? The 38super is as good or better than 9mm or .40, and due to case length (same as .45) will run better in a 1911. You also maintain single action trigger pull and can carry 9+1. The Ed Brown Executive Carry is a similar weapon.

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 10:30:05 AM EDT
[#21]
How about a shoulder holster?

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 10:33:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:02:17 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Carrying a gun ISNT comfortable.

Thats why many people that can dont, or carry a tiny little popgun.

Seatbelts arent comfortable either.

Very True Lumpy...

And heres how I carry a 1911 in 100 degree weather.

No holster, just a good old leather belt. Snug in my forward right ass cheek. Takes some practice to find a sweet spot. I can almost run with out it falling out. I have been carrying like this off and on for 12 years and have never shot my self in the ass. I have extended safety on this one and often times they goto the shoot mode. But I feel safe because of the grip safety. Also its the smoother side of the gun towards your skin ( no slide release or safety poking).This is what works for me. And this is the fist time I have showed how I carry. Now let the flame begin.

Edit for flame!!
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:29:18 PM EDT
[#24]
While 1911 might be bigger it is also slimmer...I think that is one of the most important factors while you carry.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 2:55:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:19:12 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
... I can almost run with out it falling out. I have been carrying like this off and on for 12 years and have never shot my self in the ass. I have extended safety on this one and often times they goto the shoot mode. But I feel safe because of the grip safety.

Good luck with that mode of carry .... you're a braver man than I am.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:22:14 PM EDT
[#27]
carry under your arm instead of at your waist.

I can conceal a full-size .45 in 100degree weather wearing shorts and a wife beater. Works better with a aluminum-frame ultra-compact.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:23:50 PM EDT
[#28]
I started with a 220 in a Kramer IWB and it was an uncomfortable piece of crap.  It was recommended by a good number of people at the time.  The stiching was fininished/burned off on the inside and was like wearing a cactus in your shorts.  The holster made the gun poke me everwhere it could. Glad it didn't have two barrels.  Switched to a Milt Sparks Exec. companion and it was like night and day.  Now I use a comp-tac iwb for a 1911 and after some  initial adjustments  it is comfy.  I'm 6 2 and 205.  Everyone is built differently but I'd guess if you look hard enough you'll find a holster belt combo that will make your 1911 acceptable.  As stated earlier,  guns of any consequence are more comfortable left at home.  I choose to tolerate one.  good luck
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:23:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:28:01 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm not sure if your holster is strong side or weak. I carry a full size USP weak side just behind the hip bone. It will not bother you at all as long as your pants are not to tight (doesn't sound like you have that problem). I drove all the way from Georgia to Maine like this and it does not bother me at all.

I find inside the belt holsters on the weak side more comfortable. You can put it behind the hip a little and still grab the grip easily. When you sit down in a bench seat a restaurant the grip does not go bang against the back of seat like strong side. The grip does not print out the back of shirt also carrying weak side.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:11:06 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I'm not sure if your holster is strong side or weak. I carry a full size USP weak side just behind the hip bone. It will not bother you at all as long as your pants are not to tight (doesn't sound like you have that problem). I drove all the way from Georgia to Maine like this and it does not bother me at all.

I find inside the belt holsters on the weak side more comfortable. You can put it behind the hip a little and still grab the grip easily. When you sit down in a bench seat a restaurant the grip does not go bang against the back of seat like strong side. The grip does not print out the back of shirt also carrying weak side.

Do you mean cross draw?
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 9:05:43 PM EDT
[#32]

Originally posted by drobs

Do you mean cross draw?

Yes

Also if you carry inside the pants strong side. For it to be comfortable you would have to put holster and gun behind the hip bone which would make a longer reach for the grip. In front of hip bone when you sit it would dig into your groin. Right on hip bone would be uncomfortable .

For me weak side(crossdraw), inside the pants behind the hip bone.

Strong side outside the pants in a paddle holster.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 9:13:44 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
My full size steel 1911 rides in a Milt Sparks Versa-Max II everyday, no matter what season.

The key is a good quality holster AND a quality belt to support it.  It does miracles for comfort and stability.

Me too, I went ahead and bought a Milt Sparks belt as well. I'm 5'9" and 150 lbs so not a big guy. It was a little uncomfortable at first but as the MS gear breaks AND you get used to carrying around 4 lds of cold steel you will hardly know it's there.

This is what I carry every day.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:07:29 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

That's why they make smaller versions with alloy frames.  You can get "Commander" length (1" shorter) and "Officer" (1 1/2" shorter).  Of course, you will give up some performance as the velocity will be somewhat less.  At the distances you would shoot "legally" while carrying this would not matter.  

I have a few Kimbers, as well as Colts, and see the differences.  A Colt Defender is nice for carry as it is smaller.  I just got a somewhat lighter Kimber for carry so the Defender is going to go on the market, but that is not a negative on it.  

What model Kimber  (in case you're near and I might "take it off your hands"   http://ar15.com/images/smilies/icon_smile_big.gif)
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 1:40:26 PM EDT
[#35]
5" Kimber in an Alessi or Bulman OWB holster, everyday.  Plus two spares and a 6P on the left hip.

I feel naked and un-balanced without it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:21:38 PM EDT
[#36]
I carry either a Berreta 96 or a 1911 fullsize in 9x23. I have found the belt to be extremely important. I am built really wierd so i could probably conceal an AR on me and not print. I am 6'1" at 270. My waist is 40 and chest 60. i cannot carry in a shoulder rig as it hits my lats and my arms. The IWB seems best for me but again I am very wierd. I also cannot crossdraw quickly so only strongside for me. Keep trying and find your personal best way we are all different.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:33:25 AM EDT
[#37]
How can you blame the gun, when you are using a $10 off the rack belt (accessory) as opposed to a gun belt (tool) to support it?

Be well!
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:54:40 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

No holster, just a good old leather belt. Snug in my forward right ass cheek. Takes some practice to find a sweet spot. I can almost run with out it falling out. ...

No flame, but ask yourself:  Are you more likely to find yourlsdf in s situation where you need a gun, or a situation where you need to haul ass on foot and not worry about losing a gun.

I personally would hate to find myself in a relatively low key situation and have it magnified by my gun falling out.  Have you at least considered a "string" holster?  Use the guts from 550 cord - or similar - and rig a loop to sit the pistol in that it will not be able to slip through.  Supposeldy this is how the OSS guys did it in WWII - with basically the same handgun.  

Personally, I'd prefer a holster - I crawl, climb, duck around, and run too much in a given day.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:44:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 2:30:24 PM EDT
[#40]
I carry a GLOCK 19 almost exclusively. It rides in a Blade-Tech kydex IWB with a spare 17 round mag in a Fobus paddle carrier. It is very comfortable, and I find Kydex holsters to be more comfortable than leather due to the thinner material. I use a Galco 1.5" gunbelt or an Uncle Mike's inner duty belt which is stiff enough to hold about six pistols. It was cheap and is ugly as hell but it works great and wasn't meant to be seen anyway.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:57:08 PM EDT
[#41]
yea, that's the same gun that I started to wear now. It's very comfortable. I got a Milt Sparks gun belt and it definitely helps suppor the gun. But the 1911 is still too heavy for me even with the belt. So I decided to go with the G19.  It's loaded with Speer Gold Dots 124grain +P.  But I still wish I could carry my 1911..............
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 1:10:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 1:49:34 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
yea, that's the same gun that I started to wear now. It's very comfortable. I got a Milt Sparks gun belt and it definitely helps suppor the gun. But the 1911 is still too heavy for me even with the belt. So I decided to go with the G19.  It's loaded with Speer Gold Dots 124grain +P.  But I still wish I could carry my 1911..............

Good choice. I carry my G19 with the same ammo and I sure as hell don't feel undergunned. You are much, much better off with the GLOCK on your hip than with the 1911 in the glovebox.

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 2:11:44 PM EDT
[#44]
RS Coyote, are you left or right handed
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 3:49:35 PM EDT
[#45]
I use a Galco Fletch hi-ride OWB for my Springfield Black-Stainless.  Carries great under a coat.  I carry a HK P2000SK or a USP9c in the summertime so I don't carry my 1911 without a coat.  However, with a coat it is very comfortable to carry.  Heck, compared to my USP Tactical or Mark 23 the 1911 is small!
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:00:37 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+1

and try different holsters.  not a huge fan of Galco but i own some of their stuff.  I would suggest Wilson Combat's Featherweight IWB.  great holster for the 1911.  Dont give up after one month - took me over a month to get used to my G36.  Shit, im still getting used to it.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:13:44 PM EDT
[#47]
A 1911 is a big carry gun.  Too big, IMO.  Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of the 1911 but not for everyday concealed carry.

I'm a LEO and tried carrying our S&W 5906 and didn't like it.  When we switched to the Glock 23, I tried that and didn't like it either.  

I went out and bought a Glock 27 and I love it.  The .40 packs a good punch and the 27 is a small gun that still holds 10 rounds.  If need be, the 23 mags will work too.  I'm very happy with it.

The bottom line is, concealed carry is about compromise or rather trying not to.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:54:24 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
My full size steel 1911 rides in a Milt Sparks Versa-Max II everyday, no matter what season.

The key is a good quality holster AND a quality belt to support it.  It does miracles for comfort and stability.

That $5 compressed cow chip belt from Walmart aint gonna do it.

Lumpy is on the money....let me also add that you have to also "adjust" your wardrobe accordingly.  You may need a bigger waist size for your pants and shorts and you very well may have to try or even own more than one type of holster depending one what you are up to at that particular time.  Different shirts, undershirts, belts, etc. may also be a necessity.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:57:47 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I don't have a gun belt

This is your problem.  You NEED a GUN BELT with a full sized pistol.  You will be amazed at the difference - and out cheaply made 'designer' belts really are.

You can get away with a cheap belt with a lightweight gun.  You can't with a full-sized steel pistol.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:52:22 AM EDT
[#50]
I second the vote on the gunbelt.  There are many issues to warrent the purchase of a good belt, comfort being one of them.  Also with a good belt your rig is not flopping around and you will not have to readjust it all the time.  A good belt will also hold your holster while you are trying to get the pistol out of it.  The last thing you need if you are trying to draw your weapon, is to pull the holster half way out of your pants.  It will also spread the weight of the weapon around your pants, you will not have to sinch your belt up as much to hold the holster.  Not only that, it will keep your pants up to boot.

Gunners alley has some house brand belts that are good for the money.  Even if you swich to a smaller pistol, you will thank yourself for a good belt.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top