Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/25/2013 12:49:43 PM EDT
Is it possible?

Anyone have both a .45 and 9mm to compare them? Does the 9mm slide fit on the .45 frame?
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 6:20:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I think they are the exact same except the hole in the 9mm barrel is smaller of course but the outside diameter is the same as the 45.  Now there still may be other differences such as the extractor and ejector.
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 6:36:05 PM EDT
[#2]
^^^ - this. Although assuming you drop an entire 9mm slide assembly onto a .45 frame, the extractor shouldn't be an issue, but the ejector might be a problem. Without having an XD-S .45 to compare to my XD-S 9mm, I can't say for sure.

However, there's a different issue:

http://xdman.com/blog/2013/6/1/existing-pearce-grip-for-the-xds45acp-also-fits-the-xds9

Notice the difference in the front-to-back length between the .45's mag vs. the 9mm's mag. I just looked on my 9mm -- there are ribs that protrude from the back of the magwell wall that I'm guessing are not on the .45. When a mag is inserted in an XD-S 9mm, there's a noticeable gap between the back of the mag and the rear magwell wall...the size of the gap is suspiciously close to the difference in the front-to-back lengths between the two calibers' mags.

So my edumicated guess/SWAG is that a simple conversion isn't possible.
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 7:47:53 PM EDT
[#3]
There's been a decent amount of talk about this on xdtalk.com in the XDS section and the general consensus is that they're too different for a simple slide swap conversion.

edit:  Mags from .45 will not fit 9mm frame and vice versa.  A slide-swap conversion would not work.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 12:58:58 PM EDT
[#4]
No, No!  
Convert it FROM a 9mm to a proper .45

Don't downgrade it!  Upgrade it!
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:20:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I can confirm that the mag wells are indeed different, and swapping mags isn't possible.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top