Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2012 1:17:03 PM EDT
I hope this question belongs here.How many carry a full size 1911 gun for concealed carry.I'm thinking about it but don't know if it will be hard to conceal it.And if you do what holster do you use??

thanks
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 1:23:11 PM EDT
[#1]

Wilderness belt
With SGB's IWB.

Also did fine with a supertuck
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 1:41:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I carry one.  I bought a tiny holster that was designed for a small 380acp.  For a frame of reference, I'm 5'8" and 140 lbs soaking wet.  The only way I can carry this gun with out looking like I have a tail, or a raging hard on, is to clip my holster onto the inside of my pocket and I have the barrel of the gun inside my pocket with the grip facing inwards.  It works best if I'm wearing jeans because of the way the pocket opening is cut.

Its not very comfortable when sitting, and bending over is awkward, but at least I have my thunder-maker with me.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 1:55:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I carry one.  I bought a tiny holster that was designed for a small 380acp.  For a frame of reference, I'm 5'8" and 140 lbs soaking wet.  The only way I can carry this gun with out looking like I have a tail, or a raging hard on, is to clip my holster onto the inside of my pocket and I have the barrel of the gun inside my pocket with the grip facing inwards.  It works best if I'm wearing jeans because of the way the pocket opening is cut.

Its not very comfortable when sitting, and bending over is awkward, but at least I have my thunder-maker with me.

You sir are an accident waiting to happen.
FYI, when you shoot your balls off, they don't bother to look for them.
May be just as well. Carry on.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 2:26:19 PM EDT
[#4]

I carry a full sized 1911 98% of the time.

The other 2% gets shared between a BHP or Colt .38 snub nose.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 3:05:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I carry a full size 1911 and believe it or not, I find it easier to conceal than my Glock 19
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 3:25:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I carry a full size 1911 and believe it or not, I find it easier to conceal than my Glock 19

X2.  I use a Kramer IWB holster.

Shirts with patterns (stripes, checked shirts. plaid, etc) do a lot to help avoid printing when compared to a solid color shirt.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 3:37:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This...a full size 1911 is a breeze....just need a good belt and a good holster.  I switch between a Garret Silent Thunder and a Milt Sparks Summer special.

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 4:31:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Concealing a full size 1911 depends a lot on your body type and size. I have carried a full size 1911 IWB but when I sit in my pickup the barrel pushes the gun up about an 1 in or more into my side. I do carry 4" to 4.25" 1911s and usually the light weight frame models without much trouble. I have carried a 4" all steel STI Ranger II in 45ACP for the last 4 years. But I have a very bad back and hip. The weight was getting to be a definite problem. So last week I bought a Colt LW Commander and have carried it the last week with out back or hip problems. The Colt is almost a pound lighter than the STI, makes a BIG difference. I have good holsters and make my own carry belts so that helps also.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 4:52:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't keep a round chambered.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 4:53:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I some times carry a Gov't model in a Milt Sparks Summer Special II IWB holster.  I have a good belt and a Horseshoe single mag pouch on the opposite side.

It is both comfortable and comforting.

Caliber varies.  I have carried .45 ACP, 10mm, 9x23mm Winchester and .38 Super.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 5:01:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Sorry OP, I ment to tell you my holsters...... A Galco TR212 inside the waist band type holster & a simple brown leather inside the waist band holster I got from Sportsmans guide. both very comfy. I reall y recommend the Galco TR212.

It's a lot more comfortable than it looks. Hides that gun very well. Has a shield that covers the safety, so as not to get bumped off accidentally, and not bad price wise.

It also holds my BHP very nicely.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 5:04:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Same here. No one ever knows I carry it BC they can't tell
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 6:22:52 PM EDT
[#13]
There's a special place in hell for those who holster a 1911 in kydex.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 6:32:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

One more reason I'm going to burn then.  

I don't carry a 1911 that much any more, but there are times I do carry a government or commander in a Comp-Tac CTAC holster.  I've also got a Blade-Tech Nano, but it's not as stable as the CT holster.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 4:20:41 AM EDT
[#15]
I carry a commander size IWB small of back (yea, I know, I'm goin to hell too).

I use a holster that Larry at Tennessee holster made for me.

Great holster and super customer service.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 4:36:26 AM EDT
[#16]
CrossBreed is a very good IBW holster. Look the the Super Tuck
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 5:00:40 AM EDT
[#17]
I carry a SA 1911 Champion TRP (without rail) in a Galco Summer Special. The belt is a Wilderness Tactical 5 stitch. The belt holds the weight very well. However it is still not as convenient to carry as my Glock 27 40 cal in a Comp-Tack Infidel. But I still carry a 1911 1/2 the time. Get a good stiff gun belt and you are good to go.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 6:34:28 AM EDT
[#18]
50% of the time I carry a full-sized 1911.  The other time I carry a compact (3.5") 1911.  

I use a Galco Summer Comfort IWB holster for the full-sized model and a Don Hume model 721 (OWB) for the compact.

No problems concealing either of them, with a slight edge going to the Galco.

]http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j335/Excalibur745/100_4023.jpg
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 7:28:54 AM EDT
[#19]
I have but I'm 5'7" and around  150lbs and had a problem with the barrel blocking my wallet if I use IWB. I got a sig ultra compact 3.3" 1911 and can wear a Tighter T-shirt and hide it well. Problem with the full size is length if you have a short torso
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 2:32:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 3:16:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I carry mine the same way, although I don't bring any ammo. It's way too heavy for me.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 3:26:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you carry a unloaded gun in a holster that was not made for it in a way it wasn't designed to be used?  Seems like a great idea.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 3:31:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Carry a Para SF45 with x300 daily along with two spares.

I'm generally an OWB kinda guy, but sometimes I throw the IWB loops on.
Holsters vary from raven, to Safariland ALS, to DeSantis.
-SleeperShooter
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 1:53:41 PM EDT
[#24]
I carry my TRP IWB about 4oclock in my Kholster, maybe 15 degrees forward cant. I can make it disappear under a Tshirt. I also have a Phlster kydex OWB Raven knock-off, but it's hard to make that disappear under just a Tshirt, need a cover shirt/jacket. I'm a big fan of Kholster, works great, and can't argue with the price. Oh yeah, I'm 5'11, 158 pounds. Pretty skinny, but my suit jacket chest size is about 8" or so larger than my jeans waist size, so that helps.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 2:03:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Milt Sparks VM2 and A&G belt.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 3:23:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Absolutely no problem carrying a 1911 IWB. Carried with a Clip-Draw for about a decade, have also used a cheap uncle mikes IWB and then a Blade Tech IWB also a Bianchi 6ATB (suede thumb break.) Now thinking about a Galco King Tuc.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 3:29:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I carry mine the same way, although I don't bring any ammo. It's way too heavy for me.

Why do you think that is so dangerious? They even make jeans with a pocket for carry, I think they are Black Collins, or Blacky something. 1911 has redundant safeties.
I don't like to carry in any way that points the muzzle at me, buy many, MANY, people carry appendix style. I prefere about 3 to 4 o'clock with an FBI cant, the muzzle is sticking out behind my hip, a ND would just shoot the ground behind me.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 4:51:25 PM EDT
[#28]
When I carried 1911's I used a quality IWB holster (BladeTech) and a 5 band Wilderness belt. Concealed well under a camp/Hawaiian shirt.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 6:11:25 PM EDT
[#29]
1911Smith,

What's wrong with Kydex and a 1911?  Just curious.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 5:36:38 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

1911Smith,

What's wrong with Kydex and a 1911? Just curious.

Not a damn thing.

My 5" steel 1911's ride in a Crossbreed Supertuck daily. It's unbelievable how comfortable it is.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 8:27:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Full size Springfield Mil Spec in a Galco King Tuck or BladeTech IWB or OWB rig.

Not hard at all if you are willing to take the weight. No matter what holster/belt combo you choose, the weight will still be there but some holsters are much more comfortable than others. Bottom line, you will always know the pistol is there but it doesn't have to be uncomfortable. IMO, the full size steel 1911's take a bit more time to find the right holster/belt combo but in the end, it's worth it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 8:59:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Sig C3 in a Comp-Tac MTAC
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 9:16:23 PM EDT
[#33]
I've tried a pretty good array of holsters and keep coming back to the Sparks Summer Special II.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top