Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2003 4:06:11 AM EDT
i was doing some shooting yesterday and the recoil spring plug broke.  of course lost the springs.  i understand this is a weak spot on the compacts and officers models.  anyone here install a recoil spring guide to alleviate this?
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 8:20:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Go to www.colt380.com or similiar to what used to be Scott, MacDougal & Assoc. They specialize in the Colt .380s & have exactly what you need.

I've done business with them in the past, they're a first class operation.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 1:11:17 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks bobcole.  actually, mine is a .45 1991 compact.  can they still help me out?
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 2:57:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Are you talking about an Officers Model?

..........if so this will fix you right up.Kings
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:01:23 AM EDT
[#4]
The Kings as well as several others are better, but you can also use a SS Colt plug. The issue is that the little "tit" that holds the plug/spring in place gets brittle and breaks. The SS plug tends to stretch rather than break, and most other systems do away with the tit altogether, which is even better.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 10:34:48 AM EDT
[#5]
thanks for the info, ya'll.  i've been in a conference all week so i just read it.  i'll check into the sure fix probably.  this appears to be the weak link in the officers/compact models.  thats why i like this site - good info.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 11:17:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I had the King system installed on my Officer's ACP carry gun several years ago. Works well, and you will never have to worry about the plug failing you again. The only caveat is that the new King guide rod system uses its own proprietary recoil spring, not the standard officers spring. The King springs are not expensive, so simply buy a few spares if you choose to go this route.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 10:52:23 AM EDT
[#7]
I replaced the plug on my colt officers model with one from Clark Custom Guns, Inc. at a cost of 20 bucks and also use a single 22 pound spring from Wolff Springs. The Clark plug is the only replacement that I have found that states that no slide alteration is required to use their plug. I've been using this combiniation fore a couple of years with no problems. They are on the web and their # is (318) 949-9884.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 11:09:31 AM EDT
[#8]
The Clark plug works real well:

If you are good with a file the Wilson set-up is easy to install:

Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top