Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2003 7:13:28 PM EDT
I am trying to figure out how I can get the chamber clean on my 45.  My method of going up a size in brushes and giving a few twists will not work because I have no other brushes larger than 45.

Is there a brush for 45 chambers or a methode that I  do not know of?

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 8:44:03 PM EDT
[#1]
A: What kind of brush are you using?
B: What kind of cleaning rod are you using?

I've found that nylon brushes STINK. Outers phosphor bronze brushes cut me and IMO were FAR too sharp when I tried putting them on.

I've got a rod which has a rotating handle. As in - screw on the brush and I can spin the steel rod freely with the handle stationary. This results in the brush becoming unscrewed and following the rifling during cleaning passes. To counteract this, I rotate the barrel with my hand as I brush. YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 10:54:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Try using butch bore shine, or that JP paste. I just dip my brush into the butch bore shine bottle and then go at the barrel. I think the super solvent does most of the work.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 3:28:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Take some #000 or #0000 steel wool, pull a stringer off and wrap it around the bristles...works like a charm.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 3:37:08 AM EDT
[#4]
If you are into cleaning gear, Wilson Combat has this for $10:

I just use .50 cal brushes.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 3:43:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I am trying to figure out how I can get the chamber clean on my 45. Thanks for the help.

Simply soak a large rifle patch in Sweets 7.62, wrap it around the 45 caliber bore brush, (preferably a "nylon" brush despite above comments) and force it into chamber, rotate and extract till clean and then rinse w/ SuperTech 2000 carb cleaner sold at Wally world, use CLP for lube.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 7:35:42 AM EDT
[#6]
the nylon brush that came with my glock 30 is big enough to hit the sides of the chamber in addition to the barrel
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 8:17:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Go to the grocery store and get some copper pan scrubbing pads.
cut it up and wrap around an old bore brush.

This is great for getting lead out of barrels too.

Bill Wilson told me about this years ago.

Link Posted: 9/23/2003 5:31:58 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
...I have no other brushes larger than 45....

Well, for quick and dirty (no pun), have you tried a brush for a 20ga shotgun?
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 6:53:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I actually prefer the nylon brushes in my guns and soak them in Marvel Mystery Oil for a short time before running a brush through them. It really "Gets the Lead OUT!"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top