Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/14/2006 1:23:58 PM EDT
whats the general policy with carry at gun shows?? ive been to lots of shows but today i went to a local show at the firehall, guy at door asks if im carrying i said yes, he said asked to see it i pulled back my sweatshirt he says is it unloaded i said no and its not gonna be and i turned and walked out. this is the first show i have been to since i got my permit.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:11:11 PM EDT
[#1]
never been to one that hasn't required all guns to be unloaded and zip tied
so the few times I've carried at one and they ask if I have a gun I say no and keep walking
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:01:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Ours are the same. They always ask. These days, if I am, I lie. The law does not require I tell them unless they are LEO (they're not) and does not prohibit my carrying. I don't give a rat's behind as to their policies. If it turns out I were to need mine, they would be as glad as I that I had it.

T Bone (Detroit).
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:12:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Coupla years back, at the SAXET show in SA I asked the guy that made safe (cable tied) the guns going into the show if CHL was OK - he said 'just follow the law...'

Didn't go for a year or so, and asked again and he said their insurance wouldn't allow it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:23:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, at the shows in my area (SE FL)  they have LEO's at the doors, the doors are clearly marked "no concealed weapons" and there are metal detectors.

Sucks, but it doesnt bother me too much.  I just check my mags at the door and get them when i leave.  If anyone is stupid enough to try something at a gun show, i'm sure i could scratch up enough to take care of business.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:25:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Same out here at the MWCA show
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:46:09 PM EDT
[#6]
there were no signs about ccw and the guy wasnt leo.  not that i think anything would happen but  if it did us law abiding citizens who legally carry cant defend ourselves. its the principal of the whole thing that dont make any sense to me.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:55:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
there were no signs about ccw and the guy wasnt leo.  not that i think anything would happen but  if it did us law abiding citizens who legally carry cant defend ourselves. its the principal of the whole thing that dont make any sense to me.

I agree.  You'd think that an event presumably full of 2nd Ammendment supporters wouldn't restrict your right to carry lawfully at such an event....I understand it's an insurance requirement, and insurance is required to conduct the shows, but it's still frustrating.  
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:58:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Many gunshows serve beer.  Many states don't allow carry at bars.  The gunshow is essentially a bar if you can walk around with a beer.  If it is private property and properly posted "no loaded or concealed guns", guess what?  Same if it is county or state property, no posting required, in many places.  

I am not saying not to carry, just be aware of what you are up against.  Kinda like going 20 over the speed limit..................
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:02:48 PM EDT
[#9]
It was ok to carry in the SAXET shows untill the middle of last year. Reason for the change? You guessed it, an accidental discharge. Now they have posted the 30.06 sign at the door, no more ccw now. You can unload and have your gun zip tied to carry in the show.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:26:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I also noticed a 30.06 at the last market hall show (and I did see the one at saxet too.)

In any event, in Texas there is such a thing as verbal notice that you can't carry.  Just because there isn't a 30.06 sign doesn't mean you wouldn't get arrested if you were told verbally that you can't carry.  That's different than asking whether you are carrying, of course.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:25:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Last show I went to I carried--no signs on the door, no check at the door.  I guess it is different in varying states.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:30:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm from PA. I've never been questioned at a gun show. I always carry.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:45:02 PM EDT
[#13]
i dont buy the insurance issue, maybe for the guy bringing his rifle to carry around with a for sale sign on it , if it is the case with cc you wouldnt beallowed to carry anywhere , the bank ,the grocery store, homeowners ins might even have a problem with it
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:46:43 PM EDT
[#14]
A gun show is considered a public gathering in Georgia ... so it is not legal to CCW ....  all firearms have to be checked at the door and a plastic tie is placed through the action ...
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:49:31 PM EDT
[#15]
The Gun shows I've been to require you to ziptie the trigger of any firearm before entering in the case of a loaded carry weapon you'd of course have to unload and ziptie it.  You can retain the magazine and bullets.  

I've never seen them check for a carrying permit though.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:53:33 PM EDT
[#16]
All Guns chambers open and tied at the door no loaded weapons allowed inside
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:03:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Tell him no and keep walking.  You are fine in PA.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:08:32 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I also noticed a 30.06 at the last market hall show (and I did see the one at saxet too.)

In any event, in Texas there is such a thing as verbal notice that you can't carry.  Just because there isn't a 30.06 sign doesn't mean you wouldn't get arrested if you were told verbally that you can't carry.  That's different than asking whether you are carrying, of course.

What really pisses me off is when they put the 30.06 sign INSIDE on a stand and not in the window so you can't see it as you drive by from the outside.

I have had to walk back to my car several times because the sign was only visible once you walk through the main door.

Asshats. The law states it must be clearly displayed and visible BEFORE you enter.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:08:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Don't Ask - Don't Tell.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:08:26 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
whats the general policy with carry at gun shows?? ive been to lots of shows but today i went to a local show at the firehall, guy at door asks if im carrying i said yes, he said asked to see it i pulled back my sweatshirt he says is it unloaded i said no and its not gonna be and i turned and walked out. this is the first show i have been to since i got my permit.

Their rules. You can stay or you can go. Kinda like the gunstore that has no loaded weapons on the door. Just be courteous.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:09:50 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What really pisses me off is when they put the 30.06 sign INSIDE on a stand and not in the window so you can't see it as you drive by from the outside.

I have had to walk back to my care several times because the sign was only visible once you walk through the main door.

Asshats. The law states it must be clearly displayed and visible BEFORE you enter.

My feelings exactly. Its a pain in the %@*^&* to have to go back and lock it up in the car where it won't do anyone any good except the theif that puts two & two together when he saw you go back to your car after reading the 30-06 sign.  I assume full responsibility for my firearm when its in my possession but if it gets stolen because someone breaks into my vehicle and gets it, then I have just armed a criminal.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:02:31 PM EDT
[#22]
I went to the Belton, Texas show today and was carrying as normal.  I drove past the entrance and about 20-30 feet from the entrance, taped to the wall, was a sign stating something to the effect that no live ammo is allowed in the show and no loaded guns -- this includes licensed carriers.  Since it was not a State of Texas legal 30-06 sign, I do not believe that it was a legal prohibition.  They do have one ammo vendor, but he can only sell in the parking lot.  However, I also noticed near the entrance were a DPS cruiser, two Belll County Sheriff cruisers, and two Belton City Police cruisers.  I decided that it was better to lock my piece in the truck rather than risk a confrontation.  There was a sheriff deputy (off-duty??) at the entrance point and after I paid my entrance fee he just casually asked "no guns or ammo" and I just smiled and pulled back my coat showing an EMPTY holster and walked on by.  I hate the hypocracy of not allowing licensed persons to carry concealed, but was not willing to risk an argument.  Anyway, I did buy a KT 3AT and can't wait to try it out.  Already done my fluff and buff.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:06:59 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Ours are the same. They always ask. These days, if I am, I lie. The law does not require I tell them unless they are LEO (they're not) and does not prohibit my carrying. I don't give a rat's behind as to their policies. If it turns out I were to need mine, they would be as glad as I that I had it.

T Bone (Detroit).

Private property owners can set their own carry policy.  You can get charged with criminal trespass if you violate this.  You will at least get tossed and banned from future shows.

There is a reason guns aren't allowed for CCW in a gun show.  There are so many guns and so much ammo floating around, the potential for a mistake leading to a discharge is very high.  Not saying you would do that, just in general the potential is there.

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:20:14 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I went to the Belton, Texas show today and was carrying as normal.  I drove past the entrance and about 20-30 feet from the entrance, taped to the wall, was a sign stating something to the effect that no live ammo is allowed in the show and no loaded guns -- this includes licensed carriers.  Since it was not a State of Texas legal 30-06 sign, I do not believe that it was a legal prohibition.  They do have one ammo vendor, but he can only sell in the parking lot.  However, I also noticed near the entrance were a DPS cruiser, two Belll County Sheriff cruisers, and two Belton City Police cruisers.  I decided that it was better to lock my piece in the truck rather than risk a confrontation.  There was a sheriff deputy (off-duty??) at the entrance point and after I paid my entrance fee he just casually asked "no guns or ammo" and I just smiled and pulled back my coat showing an EMPTY holster and walked on by.  I hate the hypocracy of not allowing licensed persons to carry concealed, but was not willing to risk an argument.  Anyway, I did buy a KT 3AT and can't wait to try it out.  Already done my fluff and buff.

The last gun show I went to that had an "illegal" gun prohibition sign was in Garland (Big Town). It was a simple sign that just said "no loaded or concealed guns allowed" . I complained to the cop(county Sheriff) at the entrance about that sign since it was not 30.06 it was not legally binding and he just smiled and said "I know". With that acknowlegement I went in and carried my locked and cocked CCW at that show without qualms.  I noted that the next show at Big Town I went to a couple of months later had the proper 30.06 sign. I was forced to lock it in my vehicle to comply with the law.

If they do not post 30.06, it can be ignored by CHL holders, according to the Texas penal code it is not a lawful sign. "No Guns allowed"  signs do not apply to licensed CHL holders and I ignore them with impunity. If they want CCWs carried by licensed individuals prohibited on the premesis, they are required by law to post the legally appropriate sign.

If they do not, their sign means nothing whatsoever to me.

I have noticed now that at all the local gun shows they have the correct (30.06) sign posted.
I don't have a problem complying with the law, but don't post un unlawful sign and expect me to comply.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:36:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Sigh.  The hoops some gun owners jump through trying to rationalize behavior that they would condemn in any other situation is amazing, not to mention the black eye it gives the gun owning community.  How sad.  Whatever happend to the good old days when gunners were honest, ethical, and upstanding members of the community?  This sounds almost as bad as a group of lawyers bragging about the technicalities they use to avoid getting bad guys convicted.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:50:14 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Sigh.  The hoops some gun owners jump through trying to rationalize behavior that they would condemn in any other situation is amazing, not to mention the black eye it gives the gun owning community.  How sad.  Whatever happend to the good old days when gunners were honest, ethical, and upstanding members of the community?  This sounds almost as bad as a group of lawyers bragging about the technicalities they use to avoid getting bad guys convicted.

If you are whining about State authorized Concealed Handgun license holders ignoring unlawful signs, I find you opinion absurd.  

The law is very specific for a reason.

It's as ridiculous as posting a speed limit sign scrawled in crayon on a cardboard box with a brick in it, and expecting motorists to obey it.

It sure sounds to me like you support infringement of the rights accorded to Concealed handgun licensees.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:49:36 AM EDT
[#27]
I have never seen any signs at the gunshows up here and have never been asked if I'm carrying either.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:57:31 AM EDT
[#28]

If you are whining about State authorized Concealed Handgun license holders ignoring unlawful signs, I find you opinion absurd.

If you support CHL holders carrying where it is obvious that the person who controls the property does not want them to do so, I find your opinion absurd and rude, which is my point.  Getting all excited about the fact that a sign is the wrong size or some such totally blows over the fact that the owner or manager of the property has indicated there is certain behavior that he does not want done.  It's sort of like crapping in the urinal--it can be done, but it isn't right.  

It sure sounds to me like you support infringement of the rights accorded to Concealed handgun licensees.

What I support are the rights of property owners and those with property under their control to expect certain behavior from those who choose to voluntarily enter onto that property.  I do not support CHL holders acting like boors just because they can.

It's as ridiculous as posting a speed limit sign scrawled in crayon on a cardboard box with a brick in it, and expecting motorists to obey it.

You come to shoot at my range and don't obey the hand-made speed limit signs you should plan on leaving and not coming back.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:22:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Lotsa People I don't know finger f@cking guns. This makes me nervous and should you as well. Unload the damn thing so that we are safe from some idiot ND'ing while trying out a holster for his carry piece.

I was at a gun store and looking at holsters for my CCW. I was not asked to show that it was empty(It was unloaded in the parking lot) nor was the other customer that was also looking at holsters. I got swept with his muzzel and his trigger finger was in the guard! I had a F@CKING FIT! The manager agreed and took the holster guy to his office for a sound talking to. Dude buying the holster was fourtyseven apologies, but that wouldn't stop the bleeding and start the breathing had he ND'ed.

People I know that I can trust carry in my home. I carry in thiers. People I don't know all that well are asked to put them on top of the hutch in the dining room. Hell EVERYBODYS guns(mine too) go there when drinks are served.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:09:58 PM EDT
[#30]
I know your in PA, but NC CCW laws say you cannot carry anywhere that admission is charged.  IF that applies to PA, then you're SOL unless they let you in for free.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:44:21 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

If you support CHL holders carrying where it is obvious that the person who controls the property does not want them to do so, I find your opinion absurd and rude, which is my point.  .

I support abiding by the LAW. For both the property owner and the CHL holder.

No lawful sign in place, carry in the area not prohibited by state law, then I carry. Simple as that.

The State of Texas says that is just fine, so I really don't give flying fuck what anyone else thinks.

End of story.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:49:20 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Hell EVERYBODYS guns(mine too) go there when drinks are served.

Yep.
If you are going to drink, don't carry. If you are going to carry, don't drink.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:52:01 PM EDT
[#33]
A lot of our gunshows in AR are at National Guard armory's.  No CCW.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:34:14 AM EDT
[#34]

I support abiding by the LAW.

So do I.  That has nothing to do with being polite and respecting others, however.  If I visit your house is it OK for me to take a leak on the carpet in the corner of your living room?  After all, since the State of Texas doesn't care, it's OK, right?  Or more importantly, why should I give a flying f### what you say.  It's only your property, right?  Why should you be able to decide what goes on there?

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:50:13 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I support abiding by the LAW.

So do I.  That has nothing to do with being polite and respecting others, however.  If I visit your house is it OK for me to take a leak on the carpet in the corner of your living room?  After all, since the State of Texas doesn't care, it's OK, right?  Or more importantly, why should I give a flying f### what you say.  It's only your property, right?  Why should you be able to decide what goes on there?

What part of "THIS IS THE LAW IN TEXAS" do you not understand?

If the property owner (or someone with apparent authority to act for the owner) posts a sign, the sign must comply with the requirements of §30.06 to be effective notice to a CHL.

"Written communication" means either:
(1) a card or "other document" that has written language "identical" to the following:

"Pursuant to Section 30.06, Penal Code (trespass by holder of license to carry a concealed handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (concealed handgun law), may not enter this property with a concealed handgun;" or

(2) A sign posted on the property that:
(a) "includes" the above language in both English and Spanish;
(b) appears in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height; and
(c) is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public.

Thus, according to the statute, a proper §30.06 sign must have language identical to that quoted above, and the sign must be in both English and Spanish. The letters on the sign must be block letters and they must be at least one inch in height. They must also be of "contrasting colors." Lastly, the sign must be displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public.

Unless I see this, or receive oral notice from the property owner or their actor (which would be very unusual since they would not know i was carrying), I will carry, legally, as I do 24/7 where ever not prohibited by law or my employer.

I do not carry or not carry to be polite.

I do not carry or not carry to respect business property owners.

I do not carry or not carry because of what I see or read on internet forums.

I do abide by all State and Federal laws while carrying.

I think you will find most licensed CHL holders in Texas feel the same way.

If you do differently in Lousiana, good for you.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:27:03 PM EDT
[#36]

I understand it all just fine.  What part of "That has nothing to do with being polite and respecting others" do you not understand?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:05:23 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I understand it all just fine.  What part of "That has nothing to do with being polite and respecting others" do you not understand?

As I said. I carry for self defense and defense of my family, not to show respect or politeness for others.

If you carry for different reasons, that is your right, if you do so legally.

We must agree to disagree.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:09:45 AM EDT
[#38]

As I said. I carry for self defense and defense of my family, not to show respect or politeness for others.

And as I said, the hoops some gun owners jump through trying to rationalize behavior that they would condemn in any other situation is amazing, not to mention the black eye it gives the gun owning community.
You're right, we shall disagree.  I think it important to respect others and their rights, particularly on their own property.  You apparently do not.  I wonder just how long that belief would hold if it were someone doing something you objected to on your property.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:48:41 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

And as I said, the hoops some gun owners jump through trying to rationalize behavior that they would condemn in any other situation is amazing, not to mention the black eye it gives the gun owning community.
You're right, we shall disagree.  I think it important to respect others and their rights, particularly on their own property.  You apparently do not.  I wonder just how long that belief would hold if it were someone doing something you objected to on your property.

If I invited people on to my property and did not post a lawful sign to prohibit otherwise lawful conduct, then I would have only myself to blame, now wouldn't I?

There are laws for a reason.  I generally don't patronize any business that sees fit to prevent me from carrying lawfully anyway. If you don't wan't my money, post  30.06 and you'll guarantee I won't spend my money at your establishment.

You speak of respect. The biggest disrespect of all is business owners prohibiting legal carry. "Black eye" to the gun owning community my ass. Business owners learned a long time ago in Texas that if they prohibit legal carry, they lose business, pure and simple.

Never mind the asshats who want to prohibit legal cary but don't even have the courtesy to post a legal sign prohibiting same on their business entrance. In that you are absolutely correct, I have no respect whatsoever for any business owner who does that.

I see you choose to support prohibition of legal carry. I suspect that you and Diane Feinstein would get along famously.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:18:21 PM EDT
[#40]

If I invited people on to my property and did not post a lawful sign to prohibit otherwise lawful conduct, then I would have only myself to blame, now wouldn't I?

No.  On my property you should respect my home-made speed limit sign just as much as you would a state approved sign.  I have made it clear what behavior I expect on my property.  If you don't wnat to respect that, stay off my property and don't hide behind legal technicalities.

You speak of respect. The biggest disrespect of all is business owners prohibiting legal carry.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but that has nothing to do with respecting the rights of the business owner.  

Business owners learned a long time ago in Texas that if they prohibit legal carry, they lose business, pure and simple.

And yet many of them continue to express their wishes against it.

I see you choose to support prohibition of legal carry. I suspect that you and Diane Feinstein would get along famously.

And I see that you choose to not respect the rights of people to control their own property.  I suspect that you and Lenin, Stalin and Marx would have gotten along famously.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:02:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Just forget it.

Have your own opinion and I will have mine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top