Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2012 4:01:31 PM EDT
I was going to pick up a gen 4 g17, but I've heard all this love for the M&P9.

I have had several g17s over the years, but I'm one to try out new things. I got to finger a m&p this weekend and I liked it, the trigger wasn't an issue and I'd get an apex upgrade for it.

So, is a full size easy to carry with a good RCS or SCW holster? I DO NOT like compact guns and keep my g19 around for the hell of it ( I'm not a fan, but am keeping it for my fiancee. I prefer FS frame in glocks).

I'm really intrigued by the m&p and it would be 460ish out the door.

Thoughts?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 5:20:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/1/2012 5:22:29 PM EDT by thevibe]
With a SCW K-25 holster the M&P really disappears. Keep in mind its meant to be worn at the 4:00 position with a 25 degree cant.

If you do go with Apex, get the sear AND the ram. The ram really helps with the positive click on the reset.

Here's a video of the SCW holster is use, with practice, the holster is wicked fast

Video
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 5:40:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/1/2012 5:51:25 PM EDT by alemonkey]
I have an M&P 9L that I bought for 3 gun but I do occasionally carry it OWB in an Uncle Mike's kydex holster. It was an el cheapo holster but works really well for me. That particular gun just has too long of a barrel to carry, but other than that it conceals well. Unless I'm wearing a long coat the tip of the barrel tends to poke out from under my shirt. A standard length or compact M&P would make a great carry gun though.

I have the Apex sear and it turned a so-so trigger into a fantastic trigger. The reset is pretty faint, though, so I need to add the RAM.

I think the biggest thing with carrying concealed is your body type. If you have a narrow waist and fairly wide shoulders you can conceal just about anything. If you're more "pear" shaped you're going to have more trouble concealing a lot of guns.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 6:38:52 PM EDT
Thanks guys.

I carry a 1911 iwb in a raven and only have printing issues when wearing a t shirt or polo.

Just wanting a polymer full size gun in 9mm. I think ill go with the m&p.

How is the corrosion resistance of the slide? I can be sweaty in the summertime.

Link Posted: 1/1/2012 6:47:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/1/2012 6:48:31 PM EDT by plouffedaddy]
I carry my 4'' M&P9 Pro in a NTAC holster with a streamlight TLR1s at the 4 oclock with no issuse. I'm 6'0'' 180lbs for reference.
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/tiffani33/Guns/IMAG0569.jpg

I have 5 M&Ps total. The slide finish is as durable as any gun I've ever owned. I don't see wear on any of mine...
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 6:50:40 PM EDT
I carry a full size m&p 9. I didn't like the ergos of glocks and the m&p is slimmer. Ive been carrying it for about 6 months and no corrosion issues so far. I will also second the apex kit. Can't comment on any holster but crossbreed IWB which have worked great for me.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 8:13:46 PM EDT
Corrosion resistance should be good. I carried one in East Texas for a few years, so it alternated between soaking in sweat and rain with no issues.

I slightly prefer my stock gen 4 g17 to my (now sold) M&P9fs with apex DCAEK, but I still love M&Ps. When I have the money to build my ultimate carry gun (RDS milled in slide, probably a laser) a M&P9 with thumb safety and FSS is high on the list.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 9:55:48 PM EDT
Understand you want a full size, but you might try the M&P 9c before you buy if your primary application will be a CCW. Try it with the finger grip 12 rd magazine. It doesn't feel like a G19. Also you can get an Xfire extender that fills the gap when you insert a 17 rd magazine in the compact. This gives you a full size grip when you want it. You still won't get the sight radius of a full size but you can get well designed laser grips to augment sighting if you so choose. The 9c is a very comfortable all day carry pistol in a good IWB rig.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 11:20:29 PM EDT
I carry the "regular" size M&P with no issues at all. It disappears on me and half the time I don't know it's there. It's closer to a G19 in size than a G17. I also shoot it much better than any Glock I owned.

I once had a light bit of rust on the slide after a sweaty day and humid environment, but it disappeared with application of some oil. I understand this was an intermittent issue with the early ones but I hear it's fixed now. At any rate, unless it suffers some pretty egregious abuse or neglect, you shouldn't have a problem.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 6:36:11 AM EDT
Thanks guys for all the input.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:48:24 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:
Thanks guys.

I carry a 1911 iwb in a raven and only have printing issues when wearing a t shirt or polo.

If the slim 1911 is a problem, the thick M&P grip will be a bigger problem. I have both and say this from my experience. The M&P 9c does completely dissappear as well as a Commander 1911 though.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 12:39:37 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Spook410:
Understand you want a full size, but you might try the M&P 9c before you buy if your primary application will be a CCW. Try it with the finger grip 12 rd magazine. It doesn't feel like a G19. Also you can get an Xfire extender that fills the gap when you insert a 17 rd magazine in the compact. This gives you a full size grip when you want it. You still won't get the sight radius of a full size but you can get well designed laser grips to augment sighting if you so choose. The 9c is a very comfortable all day carry pistol in a good IWB rig.

My M&P 9c is the only thing I like CCW better than my G19. Best 9/40 CCW gun for me
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:56:06 PM EDT
I carried a mp 9 everyday for a year. Great gun easy carry
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:40:27 AM EDT
I carry an M&P40c in a Milt Sparks SSII holster and a Beltman bullhide belt. It completely disappears under a Polo. Underneath a T-shirt, it is distorted enough to look like a cell phone and I never get questioned or looks for it. I sweat and I live in Georgia. In the two years of carrying it there is not a spec of rust on it. I love that M&P has tamed the recoil of the .40 down to a 9+p. In my opinion, its the perfect CCW with 10+1 capacity. My trigger didn't need the Apex parts like my Mid-size did so thats another plus.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:51:53 AM EDT
Ive been carrying my MP9c with the xgrip and full size magazine everyday. I switched from the full size magazine to the smaller magazine with the Arredondo extension. The Arredondo actually seems to conceal better then the Xgrip with the full size magazine. I carry it with a MTAC holster. My typical attire is jeans with a button down shirt and an undershirt. Works very well. I get away with this at work (an office environment). Let me know if you would like any pictures of the setup.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:48:27 AM EDT
Thumbs up for the M&P 9c, I carry one with Galco IWB and like it for winter carry. I go with a different option for summer carry though, it gets hot as hell here so we don't wear much clothes... lol.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:45:09 AM EDT
I carry an M&Pc in a DeSantis Intruder holster and it works great.

I don't know what it is about the M&P line but I can shoot them much better than I can any Glock.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:21:34 AM EDT
I carry a M&P9 in a Simply Rugged Cuda (pancake) OWB all the time. I also have a hybrid IWB holster for if I feel I should be concerned about making sure I'm 100% concealed. I'd say the full size is quite easy to CC. I will be purchasing a compact at some point in the future though.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:06:56 PM EDT
i carry the M&P 9 in a desanti owb speed scabbard and have very little issue printing however i recently picked up a M&Pc for a lighter option. Apex trigger makes whole new pistol out of the M&Ps
Top Top