Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/7/2011 5:56:45 PM EDT
I was out camping earlier and had the trip cut short by an ontario spec fighter. I got the see all the neat little complex inter workings of my hand and thumb, not too fun.So the question is what do you do when you can't carry on your strong side? I don't have a problem shooting with my off hand, im pretty much an ambi shooter, the problem is i don't own any right handed holsters. What have you guys done in a similar situation?
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 8:21:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Look at

smartcarry.com

and see if they can make a lefty for you. They hand-stitch all their products so I don't think it'll be a problem. I use the same holster for my XD45 and my S&W 640 (a 2" snubby).

The smartcarry holster is basically a short apron you wear inside your pants, over your crotch. It has a pocket for your pistol and another pocket for a spare mag.

Pro: Undetectable unless you hang out with meat gazers.
Provides VERY deep concealment.
Company has a 30-day, no-questions-asked warranty. If you don't like it, send it back for a refund.

Con:
It is a slower draw than other holsters.
Can be a little hard to get used to.

To check if you can use the Smart Carry holster with your current rig: Slide your hand into your pants up to the wrist. Make a fist. Withdraw your fist. If you can do this you can use the Smart Carry.
Link Posted: 7/8/2011 8:25:54 AM EDT
[#2]
i really like the holster i have now (horsehide super tuck).but with my hand wrapped up like a gordita i cant grab the gun with my left hand period. im going to play around with just placing the holster on my right side and see if i can find something that works.
Link Posted: 7/8/2011 9:24:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I've picked up a couple of inexpensive off-side holsters at gunshows over the years just to have 1 or 2 in case of this happening to me.  It's not the perfect holster or the perfect gun, but it gives me the option of carrying something I have on my off-side if necessary.

The ones I have right now will fit my Beretta, a 1911, and a Glock.
Link Posted: 7/8/2011 10:07:40 AM EDT
[#4]
For a short term solution, try your left handled holster on the right hip and draw with a cavalry type draw. Turn the right hand palm out (back of the hand against your torso), pull the gun completely out of the holster(as close to straight up as practical), then rotate the gun into firing position.

Take care not to cover yourself during the draw stroke.
Link Posted: 7/8/2011 2:42:11 PM EDT
[#5]
You didn't specify the type of handgun, but consider getting a crossdraw for your strong hand.  You can easily draw it with your weak hand in a sorta "Cavalry draw".  The upside is even when you heal, you"ll have a holster you can still use.
Link Posted: 7/8/2011 5:29:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I did this to my hand last fall...
http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=8&f=43&t=431327

I was lucky to find a LH holster for my 229 locally and carried it like that for 2 months.  Went to the range right away to practice left handed drawing.  It was a good time to get some off hand practice in
Link Posted: 7/8/2011 6:04:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I did this to my hand last fall...
http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=8&f=43&t=431327

I was lucky to find a LH holster for my 229 locally and carried it like that for 2 months.  Went to the range right away to practice left handed drawing.  It was a good time to get some off hand practice in

wow, that looks pretty rough, worse than what i have going on. i didnt feel it either when it happened and didnt feel it untill i started cleaning it out. woke up this morning expecting it to be sore but luckily still didnt feel anything, untill a family member went to put antibiotic ointment and accidentally used icyhot that was intense
Link Posted: 7/9/2011 4:54:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
i really like the holster i have now (horsehide super tuck).but with my hand wrapped up like a gordita i cant grab the gun with my left hand period. im going to play around with just placing the holster on my right side and see if i can find something that works.

If you don't already, you may wish to transfer to a revolver till your main meat mangler heals.
Link Posted: 7/11/2011 9:41:55 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a spare lefty holster to train with.  If it were me playing with knives, I would probably end up just switching.  Good luck with your healing process, brother!
Link Posted: 7/11/2011 8:48:28 PM EDT
[#10]
buy a left handed el cheapo holster to use for a few weeks???
or go mexican style?
Link Posted: 7/11/2011 11:26:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks, i appreciate all the advice. Iv been carrying with my holster much farther forward. My hand is still wrapped up but i have enough movement that i can pull the pistol out of the holster, but its far enough forward i can get to it with my right hand as well. It's been a good reason to practice drawing across with my off hand wich is something i never really did, now i see why people make such a deal of it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 2:47:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Broke my wrist 2 years ago and had to shoot weak handed.  Just got a cheap uncle mikes holster and carried small of back for about a month. I finally convinced myself it was reason enough to buy another gun and bought a LCP and carried in left side front pocket.
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 9:24:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Buy a Ruger LCP. You need one anyway!  

Sorry... that is tough luck.  That is the direction I would go though.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:56:02 PM EDT
[#14]
What about sliding your Supertuck around to the small of your back?  That would make for an easier right hand draw.  Wearing it on the right side and reverse draw like others have mentioned sounds reasonable too.  Someone also mentioned carrying a revolver until you heal.  Can you change mags or clear malfunctions in the state you are in?  I hope you heal quick.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top