Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 10/9/2010 7:07:15 AM EDT
i was thinking about getting one.  what are some of the pros and cons?

thanks
Link Posted: 10/9/2010 12:28:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Pros: Reliable with the right ammo, accurate, higher velocity than a comparable revolver, higher capacity, faster reloads, semi-automatic, LOW recoil.
Cons: Heavy, unreliable if dirty/using mild loads, hard to find a nice holster for it without spending an arm leg and nut

Hope this helps, if it's in your price range go for it, you won't regret it!

Also:

I've never seen a more misunderstood gun with more idiots who have never even held one talking more shit....but they are always eager to try it and and will walk right up to you with a sneer asking to fire a shot...just learn to love the change in their look after they try it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2010 1:03:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I was out with a friend years ago helping him break in and zero a black powder rifle.  When we were finished, he pulled out a scoped .30-'06 rifle and fired two shots at a target about 60 yards away.  His holes were about an inch from the center of the bullseye.  I pulled out my 6" DE .357 with a 4X scope (I had not had the scope on it very long) and duplicated his accuracy at that distance.  This was done from a comfortable resting position, mind you, and I could never do that offhand... I just wanted to see what the gun was capable of.  It impressed me as much as it impressed him.  I have since traded that pistol for another (newer generation) .44/.50 DE, but often wish I still had the .357.  It was always easy to shoot and had very low recoil, especially compared to the .50.  Ammunition for .357 is also plentiful and less expensive.
Link Posted: 10/11/2010 4:34:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
...but often wish I still had the .357.  It was always easy to shoot and had very low recoil, especially compared to the .50.  Ammunition for .357 is also plentiful and less expensive.

You know, you can shoot that caliber in your gun by swapping the bolt, barrel, and magazines.  Nothing from Magnum Research is going to be cheap, but it's a lot less expensive than buying a whole new gun.  

I keep thinking of getting a complete slide assembly, so I don't have to swap bolts when I change calibers.  But it hasn't been at the top of the priority list just yet.
Link Posted: 10/11/2010 5:26:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
...but often wish I still had the .357.  It was always easy to shoot and had very low recoil, especially compared to the .50.  Ammunition for .357 is also plentiful and less expensive.

You know, you can shoot that caliber in your gun by swapping the bolt, barrel, and magazines.  Nothing from Magnum Research is going to be cheap, but it's a lot less expensive than buying a whole new gun.  

I keep thinking of getting a complete slide assembly, so I don't have to swap bolts when I change calibers.  But it hasn't been at the top of the priority list just yet.

Yeah, I have thought about it.  But I really just want another DE with a different finish, anyway.
Link Posted: 10/11/2010 5:34:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Had one......boat anchor.

If you want a huge gun that looks kick ass......buy it.

Mine was not reliable, and seems twice as big as it needed to be.

They are fun to look at and play with.

Also had a .44...........See above.

I haven't had a .50 AE, and that is the only one that I think actually makes sense.

I am not a hater......I have owned them.
Link Posted: 10/12/2010 5:56:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Sorry to hear that yours was not reliable.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2010 2:34:58 PM EDT
[#7]
That's too bad, I have never had reliability issues with mine what-so-ever.  Of course I only own .440CM and .44Mag calibers.  The .357 I have shot was my friend's and he told me it was finicky but it had no problems when I used it.  Might have been an ammo thing?
Link Posted: 10/12/2010 8:43:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I've considered acquiring the DE in 357 mag, but I kept getting this from the FUDD crowd.
The 44 & 50AE I just couldn't afford to shoot & feel that I probably couldn't hold onto it after the 3rd or 4th round. (carpal tunnel)
Cool piece but heavy as shit.
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 8:55:05 AM EDT
[#9]
i have seen cast bullets in 44, but can you shoot cast in the 50?  that would help with making it cheaper to shoot.  going to a fun show this weekend and i am thinking about picking one up.
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 2:01:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Non jacketed bullets will plug the gas port with lead so it's a no-go according to MR.
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 3:50:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've considered acquiring the DE in 357 mag, but I kept getting this from the FUDD crowd.

I thought that was the whole reason for getting one of these - to piss off the Fudds!  
Link Posted: 10/17/2010 5:44:22 PM EDT
[#12]
A fellow at my local shop has shot one and claims it was the most accurate handgun he had ever fired.  He was in the Army and had fired just about everything you could name - S&W, H&K, Colt, Walther...etc.  

My .50 is pretty accurate...not as accurate as my Walther 9mm but definitely very accurate for a big bore handgun.

Buying the right ammo is the biggest factor for it to perform reliably.  Pretty heavy slide for a semi-auto handgun after all.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 4:41:29 PM EDT
[#13]
It shoots better than I can at long ranges.  I think it is one of the best large production handguns you can get, in terms of accuracy.  With a proper platform/rest, you can reach out and touch things that a regular handgun can't get to...and kill it

Shot a deer at 100 paces...probably at least 80-90 yds.  No problem whatsoever putting the round exactly where I aimed it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2010 4:42:08 AM EDT
[#14]
My 357 DE was my favorite. I regretted selling it for years and eventually bought a .50 when I got a good deal on it. I regretted not getting a 357 again.

I could accurately shoot it single handed at the same speed I would quickly empty a DA 357 wheel gun, and I even carried it in a silly shoulder rig when shooting in the desert.

I had some friends hate on it, but I'm pretty sure .357 mag has longer and well documented history of turning folks lights out than the .50 ae.

Plus you can pack like 9 or 10 rounds I think.
Link Posted: 11/24/2010 7:42:58 AM EDT
[#15]

this was mine and I miss her: Great guns and way cheaper to shoot than the >50AE...also you can pick up a used one really cheap.
I still have my .50 but should of never sold my .357 de
Link Posted: 12/18/2010 3:12:40 PM EDT
[#16]
From my understanding the earlier .357 Desert Eagles such as the Mark 1 & 7 handle the lighter loads much better than the Mark 19.  Makes sense considering the 19 was built for the .50.   If you plan on shooting the loads MRI recommends and want to shoot the other calibers as well get the 19.  If you just want a .357 definately get a Mark 1 or 7.

15 minutes ago I purchased a polished blue Mark 7 .44 with silver accents of Gunbroker YES! Heck of a deal too.  Has some wear on the front and backstraps but I plan on using a Hogue finger groove grip anyways.  I kept one from my last Desert Eagle I sold.  When I sold my last one I knew this love affair wasn't over

My first DE was a black oxide Mark 7 .44 which ran excellent with any load I put in it.  Getting it refinished in chrome how I wanted turned out to be a long, costly procedure so I sold it for a polished chrome Mark 19 .44.  Man was that night and day.  It was a beautiful gun but reliability was non-existant.  Even with a spring change I still had problems with my usual loads.  As I said, the Mark 19 takes a beefier load.  Some say theirs works flawlessly with a wide range of loads but I have heard lots of complaints such as mine and have experienced the problem myself.

I would love to try the .357 and .50 versions sometime.  I hear the .357 kicks like a kitty.  The .44 felt like a +P+ .45 Auto to me.  God I love that gun.  Nothing like the thunderous belch of a Desert Eagle

Merry christmas
Link Posted: 12/18/2010 4:53:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Big, loud, and obnoxious.  Not to mention the cool muzzle flash.  

Oh yeah - .357 has no problem taking pins off the table too.  I used the .44 last time, and it tore the pins up too bad, so I stuck with the "little" caliber this time.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top