Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2011 1:52:42 PM EDT
i was walking around the gunshow, and i had an impulse buy. i never saw anything like it before, and it was cheap.

looks just like this:

[mine is a single barrel model d, not the double barrel "double d" model in the picture, but i couldnt find any pics of a 8" long single barrel model on the web]

i know its a cobray model d, with an 8" or so barrel....but does anyone know anything about them? am i going to lose a finger if i touch this thing off ? i can only get one finger on the birds head style grips...is the barrel going to smack me in the head, from the recoil?

the guy who sold it to me had it marked as being chambered for .45 long colt / .410 shotgun, but it is only marked "45 cal" on the side of the gun. they must mean 45lc, right? its not 45 acp or anything else? can .410 shells be fired safely in this thing, like the seller said? if so, which length of shotshell?

it has a complicated routine for loading and unloading. you have to use a half cock position, then engage the safety, just to open the chamber.... load the chamber, and close the action....then using the half cock position, switch off the safety, and cock the hammer fully. what an ordeal. where can i find a manual for this thing?

the gun is so weird looking, i just had to have it for the collection. it looks like something mad max would keep in his boot. maybe i should send it to old_painless for testing.

can anyone share any info about it? anyone have one, and/or have fired one?
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 2:38:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm wondering if it is even legal?
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 2:46:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

why wouldnt it be? its the same comcept as the taurus judge, just single shot. barrel is rifled. its just a pistol.
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 3:43:20 PM EDT
[#3]
buyback gun?
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 3:53:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
buyback gun?

awww, thats mean. i think it has personality.
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 4:13:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

why wouldnt it be? its the same comcept as the taurus judge, just single shot. barrel is rifled. its just a pistol.

Guess that makes sense, just that it looks like sawed of shotgun.

Link Posted: 1/22/2011 4:46:02 PM EDT
[#6]
IIRC,
Those were made by SWD out of Georga & were also available in a kit form.

Used to see them in the same ad's for M11 part kits back in the 80's
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 4:53:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I saw a guy kill a big ass Rattle snake with one of those. He had the Double barrel. Said that he always took it with him on the ranch. It looked well used, he was a hunting guide.
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 8:31:43 PM EDT
[#8]
WTF?
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 4:42:57 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

buyback gun?

awww, thats mean. i think it has personality.

I have to admit that I would have bought it for the right price. However, most of my friends think my taste is obscure guns is so I would not take that as a plus.

The only downsides are the poor grips and the slow reloading. Plus, it looks like it was made on an episode of junk yard wars.

Take a good look down the chamber to see if it will hold a 2 1/2 .410 shell. I seriously doubt it is chambered for a 3" shell. Note that a 3" shell will normally chamber in a 2 1/2 chamber, but that is because the chamber is cut to allow room for the petals to expand. If it is strong enough to shoot .45 colt, the pressure from a .410 shell will be well within safety range.

Link Posted: 1/23/2011 7:53:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I have one of these.

It also holds three shells in the stock.

It is .410 only though.  I think I gave $50 for it several years ago.
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 12:28:51 AM EDT
[#11]
I've got one of the kit versions that I picked up cheap.  Mine has the shorter barrel though.  It shoots 45LC and 2 1/2" .410 shells.  I think I've shot it a total of four times- three bird shots and a buckshot just to see how it patterned.  None of them were very impressive, the gun was basically painful to shoot and I didn't have the guts to try a .45LC round in it.  It lives in my toolbox in the garage now.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 9:35:45 AM EDT
[#12]
I'd like to have the 45/410 pepperbox they make

Link Posted: 1/24/2011 4:00:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have one of these.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj118/Donith/101_5421.jpg

It also holds three shells in the stock.

It is .410 only though.  I think I gave $50 for it several years ago.

that gun is wicked looking.
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 4:43:12 PM EDT
[#14]
I think it's bad assed!
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 10:24:04 AM EDT
[#15]
I have one that has roughly 3.5" barrels. It will handle 3" .410 loads or .45 Colt. It's pretty low quality and the lockup is loose. Since the barrels are short and the chambers are so long, there is only about a half inch of rifling. I've never even bothered to fire .45 Colt in it. .410 shot loads are useless beyond a few feet.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:35:48 AM EDT
[#16]
i think it was designed for snipe hunting.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:34:02 AM EDT
[#17]
We bought around ten of these as a group buy 15 years ago,45 long colt or 410. Mine breaks open after firing, no balls to try 45 long colt yet.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:58:49 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn240/dneal33/410001.jpg We bought around ten of these as a group buy 15 years ago,45 long colt or 410. Mine breaks open after firing, no balls to try 45 long colt yet.

A friend of mine has one like this. I shot it once with a 45lc and it was enough for me. That half ass trigger guard or whatever you want to call it, will come back and skin your middle finger.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:33:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Apparently, they made a lot of variations of these.  Here is the one I bought a loooong time ago.  Double barrel and very small.  Impulse purchase at the local fun shop.  I still remember as I was paying for it, the guy said "if you every shoot this thing, be sure to wear a glove".  Not kind to the hand.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top