Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2017 6:06:35 PM EDT
For longevity and ease of cleaning, why don't more M1911 (custom and mass production) manufacturers salt bath nitride (melonite or Isonite) their slides and receivers like Glock does will all of its hanguns?  Is there something about the battering nature of M1911 function that renders inappropriate 62-65 Rockwell C-scale hardness scores?  Is softer (less surface hardened) steel really necessary in a M1911? - C. Smock
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 6:13:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Ruger is doing some slides frames i'm sure some others are available.

Barrels meh they last a long time in 45 it probably isn't cost / benefit effective.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 6:29:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Low pressure pistol round barrels essentially never wear out so there's no technical/economic reason to nitride them.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:16:56 AM EDT
[#3]
One of my 2011s is melonited.  It hasn't battered itself to death or had any other ill effects.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:19:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Not really necessary. But I've had several barrels done with QPQ. 
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:33:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Bear Creek arsenal sells nitride 1911 barrels.
I like nitride mostly for corrosion resistance.
ETA: I bet it makes it harder to fit the barrel. I've never cut, filed or drilled on nitrided metal, but I hear it's very hard.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:05:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm just as happy that they don't, as many barrels need finish reaming.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top