Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2006 3:00:46 AM EDT
worth a shit?

they advertise there Frames and slides are precision machined from aircraft quality Chrome Moly 4140 investment castings and bar stock, is this good? i do like the bluing on there guns. for 400 bucks they dont sound that bad as a starter 1911 but has anyone ever owned one? pics anyone?

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:30:49 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
worth a shit?

they advertise there Frames and slides are precision machined from aircraft quality Chrome Moly 4140 investment castings and bar stock, is this good? i do like the bluing on there guns. for 400 bucks they dont sound that bad as a starter 1911 but has anyone ever owned one? pics anyone?

nas4.atlanta.gbhinc.com/GB/042389000/42389260/pix614405579.jpg

See here: Auto Ordanance 1911
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 12:03:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Lots of opinions to be sure. I bought my West Hurley (pre Kahr) AO in 1989. After polishing the feed ramp and replacing the included mag with Wilsons and MecGars, it's been 100% with the exception of the Speer Lawman, known as the "flying ashtray". A lot of 1911s are known to choke on that one.  I load HydraShoks for HD so no biggie. I understand the newer AOs from Kahr are even better. As it is my house gun, I've adjusted the sights on mine via filing/drifting to shoot POA/POI at 30 feet, the longest possible range in my home. It's my house gun and I trust my life with it.
At the end of the day would I buy it again? I'd do it again.
FWIW
YMMV
NS
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 2:31:15 PM EDT
[#3]
RUN!!!!!!! I would NEVER take a chance on a AO, I have seen way to many problems with misdrilled holes, shoddy parts, and poor fitting. Including the one I USED to own. Only 1911 I ever sold, good riddance on a POS. You don't want a cast frame anyways, you want a forged one. Even the cheapest SAs are forged and much better buys. Replace the extractor and slide stop and go shootin. [buy Bulletproof] There are some good one's out there,[AO]  but I feel they are the minority by far.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:59:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Buddy of mine has a newer Kahr (Moonies) one. His actually loves Woof ammo and has been amazingly reliable for him.
I hear the pre Kahr ones were aweful.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:30:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Another thread on Auto-Ordnance WWII 1911's...

click here
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:38:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a pre kahr 1911 AO, and after polishing the feedramp, and using wilson 47d magazines exclusively, have had (0) problems

I have read many complaints,,,, inspect the weapon well before buying, and shoot it if at all possible,,,

I am happy with mine, and bought it as a platform to customize.... just never got to changing anything!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:58:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I have one. An AO frame, anyhow...It was ugly, and now it isn't. It took a shitload of work and fitting and adjusting, but it runs like a top now...

desertmoon and GT fix an AO....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top