Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
10/15/2021 7:52:46 PM
Posted: 7/21/2013 7:48:11 PM EDT
i have owned one for a couple of years. for some reason, i rarely, if ever carry it, preferring my CW9 for hot weather carry. I just don't feel confident or safe with a gun in pocket instead of a holster. ONe of my greatest fears  carrying all the years(27) has been losing a gun and someone getting hurt with it.

So do you use a LCP as a main carry gun? do you worry about it dropping out of your pocket? i am really considering selling it
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 8:21:13 PM EDT
When its hot as hell out I carry my LCP in a Galco Stow & Go, otherwise a Wilson Professional..
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 9:13:44 PM EDT
I carry one during the summer in a Sticky Holster, mostly when I absolutely cannot carry the G19. I can draw it faster from this holster than my G19 IWB.

Link Posted: 7/22/2013 4:37:45 AM EDT
Between 8 and 5, M-F it is my main carry (not remotely simple to carry anything larger at work). I admit it is not the best choice and I carry something more potent after 5 but it beats a sharp stick (or knife) by a long shot.

I have carried the Ruger or a Keltec a lot over the years. I have never worried about it falling out of my front right pocket (in a pocket holster). It has never even come close to falling out of my pocket.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 5:07:57 AM EDT
Nope. I wouldn't count on a micro-auto pistol as a first line of defense. And .380 is a no-go for me too.

I agree about pocket carry. I used to carry a snub in a pocket and still do w/a BUG offside every once in a while. But overall I've gone with AIWB.

Cheers!

-JC
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 5:32:18 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Between 8 and 5, M-F it is my main carry (not remotely simple to carry anything larger at work). I admit it is not the best choice and I carry something more potent after 5 but it beats a sharp stick (or knife) by a long shot.

I have carried the Ruger or a Keltec a lot over the years. I have never worried about it falling out of my front right pocket (in a pocket holster). It has never even come close to falling out of my pocket.
View Quote

+1.  I would rather carry the G26 or 19 but it will do when I need something super small.  With the proper holster it will not fall out.  I have one of the cheap Uncle Mikes that works well.

I found that without a holster to keep it upright the LCP will eventually end up with the top of the slide facing down.  Very hard to get out if you need it fast.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 5:49:35 AM EDT
I carry mine sometimes walking the dog or riding my bike, or a quick trip to the local store. Always in my front pocket with pocket holster. I dont see how it could ever fall out, under any normal circumstances anyway. And if it did I would know it because someone would be holding me upside down and shaking the heck out of me
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 6:36:17 AM EDT
I just got an LCP recently. I do have an M&P Shield, and I carry that most of the time. But, I don't mind the LCP. It's much better than the Keltec 32 I had years ago.

After a near robbery that I managed to avoid, I sold that Keltec. I was kicking myself mentally that all I had was a 32 caliber gun when it was happening. Ballistics aside, I do feel better about the 380 round.

I just got the LCP, though - and its the newest generation with a much better trigger pull and slightly larger sights. Admittedly, it's not really a fun gun to shoot after 50 rounds at the range, though.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 9:33:15 AM EDT
I carry one daily in a cheap gunshow pocket holster. It fell out of my pocket once when I was laying on the couch. No big deal. I forget I have it in there sometimes. I have killed a small hog with it.  I am happy with it so far.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 9:38:51 AM EDT
If it's worth carrying a gun, it's worth carrying a REAL GUN.  I would never bring one of those junkers to a gun fight.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 9:49:34 AM EDT
I'm one of the original 5000 Florida concealed permit holders, and over the years have spent a small fortune on pistols, revolvers and holsters... I'm a retired school teacher, so for most of the last 35+ years did not do so at work....I have a very low perception of threat....until recently the laws here were pretty specific about "flashing" if your shirt rode up, so decided on a pocket carry.... true it is not fast, but secure, and pretty much not detectable by sight....about the .380, well you can shoot more than once.... pic of the selection of Andrews Custom Leather holsters... I added the kydex flap to help break up the outline

Link Posted: 7/22/2013 9:49:57 AM EDT
I carried an LCP for the swim trunk days but found I DO NOT have faith in the pistol. Its a great micro compact for deep concealment and carried amazing in the Desanti Nemesis pocket holster, didnt even feel you had a gun on you.
My problems with it:::
1:) Never ever ran 100% with one hand shooting for ME, but it ran perfect for my friend and also my wife while shooting one handed. I have large hands almost ape length fingers I found I could not get enough grip on it since I wrapped around to much of the grip.  
It would fail to eject the empty's and double feed from me limp wristing it with one hand grip shooting. It would run perfect for me with both hands though and tried three different brand new mags.
2:) Its so small I had it slip out in a family members recliner that I have never sat in and didnt even know it was missing from my pocket. This was a lazy lazy boy and I was all leaned back in it and it slid out... right beside my 3yo boy. I stood up and saw it there literally in awe of how stupid I was for not thinking about it. Luckily I have a very strict habit of unloading the CCW piece or locking them in hand gun safe when rough housing/playing on the floor with my son and family kids. IF he would have shot him self I swear I would have joined him in death after his funeral. Please men and women be careful out there with the little ones.
3:) When I was carrying it in swim shorts I wouldn't go swimming with it so a bigger gun usually went into the beach bag or my camera bag with matching camera accessories to complete the family picture taking dad look.  

Good merits:
1:) I felt I could conceal this in place's where I would never bring a gun.
2:)Great BUG when riding along side the Glock27/23/17
3:) Nice gun to loan family and friends for when they dont need to purchase a gun just for deep concealment.

Traded it off with a Colt HBar for a sweet NIB Magpul edition Colt 6920

Im already saving for a Colt Mustang or the Sig 938 for the wife, Ill use it on occasion and if I find another LCP what the hell I will buy another since there cheap if I find a great deal.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:16:19 AM EDT
Not an LCP, but I have pocket carried a S&W BG380 every day this summer in a Desantis Nemesis without any problems or worry.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:30:53 AM EDT
Quoted:
Nope. I wouldn't count on a micro-auto pistol as a first line of defense. And .380 is a no-go for me too.

-JC
View Quote

I've always thought this way too.   Not necessarily just because of the weak round, but most people can't shoot a micro pistol as well as a mid sized compact gun.

*in before how well of a shot someone is with their .32*

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 8:37:59 PM EDT
Quoted:
If it's worth carrying a gun, it's worth carrying a REAL GUN.  I would never bring one of those junkers to a gun fight.
View Quote

That's too bad.  If you did some research on the terminal ballistics of the .380 (9mm short) new ammo such as the Speer Gold Dot vs. a 9mm or other ammo, you would find that it is more than capable in any situation that any personal defense pistol might be needed for.  

OP- the simple answer is - don't wear clothing that it could fall out of and use a pocket holster. The LCP is a great pistol and completely rejuvenated the .380 market 4 years ago for a good reason.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:56:14 PM EDT
What is a gun better than?

No gun.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:56:53 AM EDT
not an lcp, but the 238.
couldn't get over pocket carry, so I use a crossbreed tuckable holster.
since it is so light, I even wore it on a swim suit. drug it down a little, and I had to pull up one side periodically, but not so much as you would notice.
with a shirt on of course.
It is about twice the weight of the lcp.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 11:54:04 AM EDT
Quoted:

That's too bad.  If you did some research on the terminal ballistics of the .380 (9mm short) new ammo such as the Speer Gold Dot vs. a 9mm or other ammo, you would find that it is more than capable in any situation that any personal defense pistol might be needed for.  

OP- the simple answer is - don't wear clothing that it could fall out of and use a pocket holster. The LCP is a great pistol and completely rejuvenated the .380 market 4 years ago for a good reason.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I want no part of .380 HP's.

IF I was going to carry one, it'd be with FMJ's.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:11:24 PM EDT
I carry one in my cargo shorts because it is so lite.   Anything heavier and I usually don't carry it.  I figure a 380 is better than no pistol at all.   I'm more likely to carry with the LCP in the summer.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 11:47:01 AM EDT

Quoted:

i have owned one for a couple of years. for some reason, i rarely, if ever carry it, preferring my CW9 for hot weather carry. I just don't feel confident or safe with a gun in pocket instead of a holster. ONe of my greatest fears  carrying all the years(27) has been losing a gun and someone getting hurt with it.

So do you use a LCP as a main carry gun? do you worry about it dropping out of your pocket? i am really considering selling it
View Quote
Only when I can't go bigger. Otherwise I carry it as a bug

Link Posted: 7/26/2013 1:03:20 PM EDT
I swapped from a P3AT to a Smith 442.  The 380 wasn't as reliable as I would have liked, and I am more comfortable with 38 Spl +P 110 grain DPX ammo than I was with 380 FMJs (gun would not run on JHPs).  I still carry a Glock the majority of the time, but for a quick trip to the corner store or out messing around in the yard, I like the little Smith.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 3:13:06 AM EDT
I have had two P3AT's over the years. I eventually sold them both, because I had a Glock 23, Glock, 27, Shield, and LCR or J-Frame. I recently bought an LCP. No matter how much I don't like the .380 round, I always found a time when I could carry the Keltec or LCP that I could not carry the other guns I listed.

I always can carry the LCP, unless I'm in the shower or a pool. I can't say the same for the others. One of the other I listed would be my first choice, but I have found that I alway am in need of a small .380.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 4:57:10 AM EDT
Quoted:
View Quote

All handguns are relatively poor "stoppers" regardless of caliber or bullet used. Shot placement and sufficient penetration are paramount, all else is secondary.
Tomac
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 10:15:32 AM EDT
I carry my LCP in a Galco pocket holster when wearing cargo pants & shorts and it's never fallen out. Jeans seem to print. I also carry it in a Mitch Rosen owb holster. 500 rounds through it and not a single malfunction. The only ammo it's been fed is Hornady Critical Defense & Sellier & Belloit fmj. I am confident enough in my particular situation as I carry a .38 snubby sometimes. I don't use +p in it normally. So to ME a 90 grain .380 @ 950-1000fps & 200 ft lbs is close enough to the Hornady 110 grain .38 Special load @ 1000fps & 230-240ft lbs. Plus I get 2 more rounds and a faster reload if needed.  If I feel like stepping up the power I'll carry my .44 Special Bulldog.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a86/magnum445/2013-03-03125948_zps3daddba2.jpg

An error occurred on the server when processing the URL. Please contact the system administrator.

If you are the system administrator please click here to find out more about this error.