Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 8/11/2014 11:29:36 AM EDT
I bought a new Colt Series 70 re-issue a few weeks back with every intention of shooting it, but once I got it, I realized that wasn't gonna happen. I wanted a replacement, and the only thing I was willing to buy was another 1911. I love basic, G.I. pistols, and I remember saying a while back that I would buy an Argentine Sistema at some point, so it was settled! After trying to buy one from a seller who obviously thinks his is golden, I found this one in a "no reserve" auction, put in what I was willing to pay for it, and wound up winning it. Right off the bat, I noticed that the hammer and grip safety had been replaced, so I found and bought original Colt pieces. Why anyone would put a commander hammer on a full-size 1911, I haven't the slightest clue. I had a time trying to cock the thing with my long thumb. I'm pretty sure it's been refinished, and it has the small JLD Ent. import mark behind the mag release button. Some (probably most) will disagree, but as far as I'm concerned, the thing IS a Colt, just made in a foreign country. I absolutely love the pistol! Anyways, I got the new pieces installed, and here it is.

And the Series 70:

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 11:46:17 AM EDT
Nice! Those are closest to the original USGI M1911A1 but without $$$$ price tag. It would be a perfect shooter.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 12:34:45 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mlin:
Nice! Those are closest to the original USGI M1911A1 but without $$$$ price tag. It would be a perfect shooter.
View Quote

Thanks. I got it for quite a bit less than my maximum bid. I started to get impatient, and even called Sarco to ask if they still had some of the worn Argentine commercial Colts.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 12:46:49 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 86HMMWV:
Why anyone would put a commander hammer on a full-size 1911, I haven't the slightest clue.
View Quote

... most 1911s now probably have commander hammers, at least anyone with a beavertail or ducktail GS. I have put them on GI to stop getting bit. Can also reduce lock time as well. (Alternatively, the original spur can be bobbed for mentioned reasons).
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 1:23:51 PM EDT
My Sistema was my first 1911. At one point I installed a beaver tail and commander hammer but eventually went back to original. I might buy another spur hammer to shave down because the original setup bites the shit out of me!
So what did you end up getting it for?
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 2:09:15 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 86HMMWV:
... Some (probably most) will disagree, but as far as I'm concerned, the thing IS a Colt, just made in a foreign country...
View Quote

It's a licensed Colt copy.
IIRC, the sistema and the Norwegian 1914 are the only licensed Colt copies made outside the US.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 4:58:49 PM EDT
How do you like the feel of the inverted "checkering" on the MSH?
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 5:28:23 PM EDT
Thanks for the input, guys.
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By zaskar017:
How do you like the feel of the inverted "checkering" on the MSH?
View Quote

Funny you mention that, because that's one of my favorite things about the pistol. It feels wonderful in my hand.
Top Top