Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2003 9:34:18 AM EDT
Myself and a buddy, who is a member here, were out doing so tactical shooting this morning. I
was shooing my Beretta Cougar 8045, doing some shoot’n scoot drills, shooting 2 shot strings on
3 IPSC targets.

I was shooting 200 grain Full Metal Jacket Flat Nose made by Fiocchi. I fired the first round,
pulled the trigger one the second round, only to have the hammer fall on what I thought was a
dead round.

I Tapped, Racked and as I was letting the slide go, my eye caught a spent casing falling to the
ground. Now I remember the first round firing and the recoil and the ejection of the spent casing,
so I stopped and cleared the gun and looked into the chamber.

Lo and behold, the 200 grain bullet was lodged in the barrel. The round was empty of powder and
the primer had lodged the bullet.

Had I not noticed the spent casing when I racked the slide, I just might have had a interesting
morning.....

Got the lodged bullet out and went back to shooting...gotta call Fiocchi about that one..
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 9:39:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow!  Good thing you saw that spent case.  That could have been very ugly.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 9:42:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Was Ro'ing a guy one day who was shooting a Glock in 45ACP. I heard the pop instead of the bang. I yell "STOP" as he pulls the trigger.
The second round drove the squib out the end of the barrel. The problem was when the second round hit the first, it bulged the barrel.
Now the slide is trying to do it's job and extract the case. The slide hangs up on the bulge 1/2" from the muzzle and locks up.

We used a 15 # sledge hammer to drive the barrel back to be able to take the gun apart.
Glock would not repair the gun since he was shooting reloads, but sent him a replacement barrel at no charge.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 9:56:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 10:00:26 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Squibs make me nervous. I'm always worried that I won't notice one, particularly with plugs and muff and shooting quickly.

It's that right there that I'm thankful that I saw that spent casing as it was ejected...for some unknown reason I just looked at the case...

I didn't here a pop at all. All I heard, with the muffs on, was the click of the hammer...
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 10:22:10 AM EDT
[#5]
This is why i use electronic muffs while shooting and RO'ing. The pop does not shut down the muffs.

The only time I use plugs and muffs is with my 300 win mag due to the JP comp I have on it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 11:13:45 AM EDT
[#6]
I contacted Fiocchi and although the person I was needing to talk to was on vacation, they were surprisingly very concerned about what happened...

I'm supposed to get a phone call from them next Monday..now we all know that it's possible that I will have to call them because they will forget...

Anyway I will keep you updated on it....
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 8:32:26 PM EDT
[#7]
most likely the bullet was not far enough up the barrel that the next round had you racked it in would have chambered.

Anyway good stopping in short order.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 11:07:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
This is why i use electronic muffs while shooting and RO'ing. The pop does not shut down the muffs.

The only time I use plugs and muffs is with my 300 win mag due to the JP comp I have on it.

What kind of earmuffs do you use? Do they work like they say?(cutting out gunfire but allowing you to talk to others)

Anyone try those earplugs that are supposed to do the same thing?
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 4:25:36 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
most likely the bullet was not far enough up the barrel that the next round had you racked it in would have chambered.

Anyway good stopping in short order.

You are most likely right, I'm glad it was a primer only and not a round that had just enough powder in it to drive it further up the barrel...

Then my day might have turned into a trip to the hospital....I would have had to change my user name to "Lefty"....
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 7:28:05 AM EDT
[#10]
I had a Fiocchi 9MM that had no flash hole.
The primer, having no where else to vent locked the Glock up.
Now Dog1, imagine your scenario happening on a DA revolver, rapid fire.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 7:36:57 AM EDT
[#11]
I use the Peltor 6 Tactical. They shut down when the gun is fired acting like non-electronic muffs. The time of the squib they did not shut down so I knew something was not right. There are electronic muffs made by Pro-Ear that are like you described and only cut out the gunfire.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 8:22:15 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I had a Fiocchi 9MM that had no flash hole.
The primer, having no where else to vent locked the Glock up.
Now Dog1, imagine your scenario happening on a DA revolver, rapid fire.

We were talking about that after the squib...my shooting partner had that happen to him before, only the cylinder would not turn...
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 11:41:38 AM EDT
[#13]
9supercomp:  i agree, totally.

there are more than one advantage to electronic muffs.  would recommend that everyone's next pricey purchase be electronic muffs.  as with other muffs, pay attention to the Noise Reduction Factor.  29 is as low as anyone should accept.  and, go for stereo.  

batteries go dead?:  mine last a couple years.  as a check, i took the batteries out.  work like regular muffs then.  no prob.

Link Posted: 7/31/2003 8:51:07 AM EDT
[#14]
I hve seen live rounds go off behind squibs a time or two while ROing at IPSC matches.
Heard of several more instances.
Never heard of a real KB with this, just barrels ruined by a big bulge.  
Glad you are OK.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top