Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2004 7:33:05 AM EDT
I picked up a TRP from a fellow board member, which arrived at my FFL yesterday. It was ~1 year old with only 50 rounds fired through it. When I opened the case, the gun looked NIB. The pictures I had didn't do it justice.

After inspecting and lubing the gun, I drove to my range, arriving past sunset. I fired approximately 100 rounds, 50 of 230 gr winchester ball, and 50 of my 200gr SWC reloads. Flawless feeding and ejection in a nice pile to my right, rear. Perfect sight regulation. The bullet hole appeared exactly where the top of the properly aligned front sight was. I managed several 5 shot 1-ragged hole groups at ~7 yards. Very good trigger and smooth operation of all controls. Nice smooth double-taps on target from the holster when I engaged my "bad guy" target. Tritium was glowing nicely by the time I finished shooting. I was pleasantly surprised to find my shots WERE spot-on. When shooting quickly, I tend to shoot low with a flat mainspring 1911. Not the case with this one, but more range time will sort that out.

One minor glitch. The slide wasn't locking back on the last shot with either the 2 supplied factory magazines or my 2 Wilson mags I used. I had observed that the spring felt fairly stiff, and simply planned on installing a new  Wilson spring upon returning home. By ~70 rounds, the issue had worked itself out, locking back on the last shot even when I fired it one handed. The gun was simply new and tight.

The accuracy of this pistol seems very good. I had no trouble shooting rapid ragged hole groups under lowlight conditions. I normally have to work at it much harder for this type of accuracy in my other 1911s

Fit and finish seem very good. I don't think the slide is as smooth as a Wilson CQB I have shot, but it is close. The 20LPI frontstrap checkering is sharp. If you have girly-man softy hands, this might not be the gun for you

I plan on ditching the 2 piece guide rod for a USGI guide rod and plug, and will have to determine if the mainspring housing will get the "wedge" treatment.

I left the range with a big ol' smile. All in all, I think this one is going to be a keeper.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:39:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Glad you like your new gun.

Not that looks matter in the grand scheme of things, but the TRP Operator is the best looking 1911 I've ever seen. The new Sig 1911 is a close second.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:24:15 AM EDT
[#2]
 Hell, I hate SA and I even want an Operator....they look SWEET!!!  SP-10, the more you shoot that Springie the more it'll smooth up....mine's like GLASS.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 1:36:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
 Hell, I hate SA and I even want an Operator....they look SWEET!!!  SP-10, the more you shoot that Springie the more it'll smooth up....mine's like GLASS.

One of my friends has both a TRP and a TRP Operator. Both are excellent performers. My only complaint with his TRP Operator is that the adjustable sights have a sharp blade. I  would hate to do any clearance drills with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top