Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2005 5:43:23 AM EDT
I am thinking about a NIB Defender.  What do you think?  Defender owners please let me know your thoughts--Pros vs Cons.

Thanks,
GTD
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:07:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I had an Officers model, which I believe is what they renamed as the Defender. I liked it a lot, I am not big on compact pistols, especially in .45 a.c.p. but it was very nice and extremely concealable. My dad liked it a whole more than I did, so it is now his. I never had any problems to speak of, has been a while since I owned it so my memory is a little foggy. But from what I remember it was trouble free for me.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:34:29 AM EDT
[#2]
reliability is suspect in the subcompact 1911's.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:39:11 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Do you have any first hand info on the Defender?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:21:33 AM EDT
[#4]
My pop has one, its his carry weapon. We shoot pretty regular and I've never seen him have any problems at all. I've shot it a few times and I like it too. Pretty accurate for a compact. My .02
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:29:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks much!--------------Any info on Defender Plus?------------was one on GB, said it had longer grip?

Anywho, a few buds have called as well and given great reviews!------need to find one to check the fit (big hands) then next payday may another "Colt" day!
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:37:09 AM EDT
[#6]
I had an Officer's Model (AKA Defender) and it was the most inaccurate 1911 style auto pistol that I have ever owned.  I've owned a Wilson,  other Colts , Llama, Para-Ordnance, and Kimber and they all shot circles around the Defender.

Don't buy it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:44:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Thats --2-yes,   1-no ---1 did not like subs!---------I will head over to the range right now before they close at 4p and see if there would be one I can test-----------------

GTD
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:14:23 PM EDT
[#8]
WOW---------------What a trip!--------------------------They had one NIB, and know they have only one in layaway!

Yup, I did it!-----------It felt great in my hand, and well I just had to do it!!!--------------------I'll get pics as soon as possible.-----------------Does this put me in the 1911 club??

ps, I do have a full size 1911 on my get list.

Dang, I could have used my cam/phone for a few pics.------Thanks much all!

GTD

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:51:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I had one.   I think it is an excellent, well made pistol.  For my carrying,  I did not like the feel, the angles, the bulk and all the protrusions. I usually use a compact as a pocket pistol, so your method of carry may cause a different feeling.  That said, if it feels good to you, it's definitely a good buy.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:14:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I had one.   I think it is an excellent, well made pistol.  For my carrying,  I did not like the feel, the angles, the bulk and all the protrusions. I usually use a compact as a pocket pistol, so your method of carry may cause a different feeling.  That said, if it feels good to you, it's definitely a good buy.  

Thanks man!--------------My carry was a 92F----then ----USP 45-------I can't wait to give it a go.

GTD
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:50:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:01:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Does this put me in the 1911 club?             maybe a junior member?                  ---------------------------!
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:33:19 PM EDT
[#13]
I have and carry a defender. Never any troubles and eats anything I feed it. If I ever change it will be because of the "New Toy" factor.. fullclip
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:52:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:52:37 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

If not done absolutely correctly I agree. My SA Champion was a PITA. They used the wrong parts and I was not happy. Bought a Defender and It has been 100% reliable from day one. Kick arse little gun. Some people do not like the Hogue grips but I find them to be very grippy and easy to hold onto firing multiples. And remember LIFETIME WARRENTY. Mine was priced 75 bucks less then the comparable Kimber and I do not like MIM. Colt has the least amount of MIM of all the factory brands. [high ends do not count here as for 2 grand I expect NOTHING to be MIM.]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:54:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Oh ya!!-----------------thanks all----------I'm having a great evening and not yet got to the best part!!

GTD
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:13:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Best shldr rig for the Defender?

GTD
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:37:14 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

GTD

I use a IWB or SOB for mine, so can't help there. I do have pants with a leather "holster" sewed into the pocket, it works really well when you have to be in shirt tucked into pants mode.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:47:31 PM EDT
[#19]
How about ammo-----------what do you like to use at the range as well as duty?-----185, 200, 230ballwwb?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:04:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Hydrashoks [the new ones +p] and am trying the new Federal HST 230+P load. As for range time I use S&B 230 grain FMJ. Loaded up to proper specs and decent brass to reload. Tried some PMC stuff but some of it was out of spec [too fat] so S&B or WWB. I bought a couple of K of S&B at Cabalas last fall/winter when it was 6.99 or something rediculously cheap. Works great and cleaner then WWB
Also use Corbon +P+ 185 grain loads. Almost 1200 FPS but kicks pretty hard and a commander is as short a slide as I would use.  The Black Talon [was] a good but now outdated 230 normal speed round that fed well but even tho I have a lot of it I would not use it as the stigma of it is not helpful. Gold dots are good also, good expansion from them. Lots of good .45 HP ammo now, you CAN have HP can't you? If not WWB is fine for everything as is S&B. S&B seals the primers so that is good.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:23:07 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Hydrashoks [the new ones +p] and am trying the new Federal HST 230+P load. As for range time I use S&B 230 grain FMJ. Loaded up to proper specs and decent brass to reload. Tried some PMC stuff but some of it was out of spec [too fat] so S&B or WWB. I bought a couple of K of S&B at Cabalas last fall/winter when it was 6.99 or something rediculously cheap. Works great and cleaner then WWB
Also use Corbon +P+ 185 grain loads. Almost 1200 FPS but kicks pretty hard and a commander is as short a slide as I would use.  The Black Talon [was] a good but now outdated 230 normal speed round that fed well but even tho I have a lot of it I would not use it as the stigma of it is not helpful. Gold dots are good also, good expansion from them. Lots of good .45 HP ammo now, you CAN have HP can't you? If not WWB is fine for everything as is S&B. S&B seals the primers so that is good.

Thanks much for the info. For me HP's are in that grey area.  I have so far gone with ball to reduce risk.

Thanks again for all your help.

GTD
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:18:12 AM EDT
[#22]
I've carried a Defender for several years.  Very accurate, for a sub-compact, eats everything I feed it, including lead SWCs.  My normal carry load is Corbon 185gr.   If you limp wrist this weapon the empty case will clunk you on the forhead.

Cheers
Joe
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:20:11 AM EDT
[#23]
That would be forehead....not forhead.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:47:21 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

GTD

Jackass rig from, I believe, Galco. IMO
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:56:58 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

GTD

Jackass rig from, I believe, Galco. IMO

I was just looking at that rig online lastnight-----------If it fits right I think that maybe the one.-----Cooooooooollllllll!

GTD
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:03:51 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I've carried a Defender for several years.  Very accurate, for a sub-compact, eats everything I feed it, including lead SWCs.  My normal carry load is Corbon 185gr.   If you limp wrist this weapon the empty case will clunk you on the forhead.

Cheers
Joe

Thnaks I did hear that---------I've never had a auto/wrist problem, however i will bring a nice hat to the range!----I also heard there is an extracr mod (me thinks) that gets the brass out of harms way.

Thanks for the headsup
GTD
ps now i'm off to work till 4p--och#$%#
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:17:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Range report brif------------picked up my "Defender" today and love it!!-------------------Shoots like a dream, trigger 4.25 lbs, very clean break, recoil is so forgiving (very comfy finger grip), and sights-----WOW------------oh ya, goes bang very time!!------Yes, i'm in love.

ps, no bbl bushing to mess with.

I am a true 1911 fan, and now an owner!------Great to be in the club!

GTD,

now I've got to take her down and clean her well (first time w/1911)
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:44:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Dry fire-----safe or not?

GTD
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:14:53 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

GTD

Safe - dry fire away.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:30:08 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

GTD

Safe - dry fire away.

Cooooooooooooooooooooooooool-------------Thanks!

ps, recoil feels better tha some 5" 1911s--------is this possible?-------feels like total control-----love it!

GTD
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:56:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Ques: is it ok to let the slide go home on an empty chamber or must I ride it down slowly?  Some where I heard something about this.  never a problem w/my HKs.

Thanks again

GTD
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 1:36:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 2:25:15 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ques: is it ok to let the slide go home on an empty chamber or must I ride it down slowly?  Some where I heard something about this.  never a problem w/my HKs.

Thanks again

GTD

Would you buy a new vehicle and go home and start SLAMMING the doors? While it won't necessarily hurt it, it won't help it either.

Ok dad-------------------but it feels so good, can I just one more time-----ha,ha-------you right again.

Sure am diggin this Colt and next maybe XSE or NRM!

Thanks,
GTD

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top