Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2006 3:40:28 PM EDT
I had the chance to "burn through" several S&W 1911s yesteryday and today. I was skeptical at first because I "HATE" external extractors. But I have to tell you S&W has got it right. What a pleasant surprise. Zero failures and great accuracy (not to mention the price). Do yourself a favor and get the latest S&W catalog or check them out online. As many of you I only thought of S&W revolvers (I have 2 642s and a 6" 629). These are GREAT 1911s and no one was more surprised than I was. I honestly believe these are the "sleepers" when it comes to reasonably priced 1911s.

Doc
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:26:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice to hear that Doc..there is always room for more 1911's!

I like what I see in the S&W 1911. I would like to shoot one, but I know no one that has one.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:44:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I pick up shares of  stock from time to time as a long term investment and have done quite well. Smith and Wesson (SWB (symbol) was trading at about $1.70 per share one year ago and closed today at $5.62 per share). I can't predict the future but I'm definitely buying some shares tomorrow when the market opens. It's nice to have a hobby that pays "dividends".
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:49:56 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Nice to hear that Doc..there is always room for more 1911's!

I like what I see in the S&W 1911. I would like to shoot one, but I know no one that has one.

It's like RRAs and Valtros. Everyone that has one swears by them but they are not in wide circulation such as Wilsons, Baers, Browns, Yosts, etc. are.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:15:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I think Valtros are no longer avail...

Some type of lawsuit with John and the company who produces them for him.

I have tried to contact him a few times with no avail...

Id love to have a Valtro.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:28:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a NIB sub-500 serial number matte hard chromed Valtro that I've turned down $3000 for. The last one I heard of that sold was a used blued one from a San Rafael, CA gunshop/range where John funneled a lot of sales and it went for $2500 about 6 months ago.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:17:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I hope John is still making guns.  I am on his list, with one provision.  I don't call and bother him about delivery times.  I am supposed to call every aug and tell him that I am still alive and interested--he tells me that he is still alive and will never be able to fill all of the interested orders.  He locked my price in on the day I ordered 3 guns from him.  I don't care if it takes 5 years to fill the orders.  They are worth the wait.  Doc, I'd love to check out your collection one day, you seem to be a man after my own heart.  Hopelessly addicted to fine 1911s.  I'd like to take this chance to thank you.  I have a colt at YB right now going through the 1* elite process, and it is due in no small part to your endorsements.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:20:51 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I hope John is still making guns.  I am on his list, with one provision.  I don't call and bother him about delivery times.  I am supposed to call every aug and tell him that I am still alive and interested--he tells me that he is still alive and will never be able to fill all of the interested orders.  He locked my price in on the day I ordered 3 guns from him.  I don't care if it takes 5 years to fill the orders.  They are worth the wait.  Doc, I'd love to check out your collection one day, you seem to be a man after my own heart.  Hopelessly addicted to fine 1911s.  I'd like to take this chance to thank you.  I have a colt at YB right now going through the 1* elite process, and it is due in no small part to your endorsements.

I guarantee you that you won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:43:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Another person sees the light of the SW1911! :D  "For the money" is the key phrase I hear whenever the SW1911s are brought up in conversation.  $700ish and you get yourself a really nice pistol!
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:54:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Not a bad price for all it considering it has alot of stuff on it from the factory. That other 1911 manufacturers don't.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:13:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Look at the extractor, it's pivot point is so far back no doubt it's going to work.
All of the modern pistols (glock hk ,etc) have extractors setup the same way.

The only thing is that to die hard 1911 fans, having an extractor that runs half-way across the length of your slide isn't very appealing(when the original worked fine that is).

Kimber decided they would make their extractor very small with a weak pivot point minimizing the size of  the assembly and they ended up with a design destined to give external extractors a bad name for 1911's.

It can be done, you just have to do it right.

Kimber replaced my external extractor slide with an internal extractor slide for free so I'm cool now and most of the pistols that did have external extractors are now being shipped with internal extractors.

I'm willing to bet Kimber LOST money on guys like me who had to send their pistol back 4 times.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:43:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I looked at several S&W 1911's today. They looked very nice. I especially like the Guncite model. All were well priced and seemed to be of great build quality. I also HATE external extractors (my Kimber is at the custom shop getting a slide replacement as we speak) but it is easy to see how much better a design the S&W external is as well as the one Sig used on their 1911's. True it does look bad on the 1911 slide but they are designed to work. Kimbers design is piss poor.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:58:03 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I think Valtros are no longer avail...

Some type of lawsuit with John and the company who produces them for him.

I have tried to contact him a few times with no avail...

Id love to have a Valtro.

No kidding? If true, what a shame! I have a sub 75 SN Valtro That I love.

It's been years, But I'm finally sucumbing to a 1911 with an external extractor. So many people have good things to say about the S&W models.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:48:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Of course Kimber lost money with the external extractor. Having to spend time working on jamming guns and replacing slides has probably cost them a ton of money. Not to mention the sales they lost to people that have heard about the problems. I was told by Kimber "there have been problems with the external extractor but not any kind of epidemic". If it was not an epidemic problem they would not have started making all their guns internals again which they have certainly done. They must have lost a fortune to retool most of their pistol line but it is a necessity for them to build back their buisiness and reputation. Just an example of what they must be going through. If you search aropund a bit on 1911forum you will find stories from a couple of years ago about how fast and great Kimbers customer service was. Stories of guys sending their pistols in for custom work and getting them back in a matter of days. At the moment my pistol was at Kimber for about 2 weeks before they even got a chance to look at it and it will be gone another 2 or 3 weeks to get a replacement slide. We are talking 5-6 weeks. That is how backlogged these guys are now. I'm sure a lot of it is due to the extraction issues.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:18:17 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
They must have lost a fortune to retool most of their pistol line but it is a necessity for them to build back their buisiness and reputation.

I doubt it was that expensive to go back to the internal extractor.  It was probably nothing more complicated than loading the old program back into the CNC machining centers.  The real hit will be the time and money lost in developing the external extractor.  At least they can use the parts they currently have for spare stock.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:40:13 AM EDT
[#15]
I used to love the 1911 - but I like the more utility of the Glocks - got rid of my Springfeild 1911 quite some time ago.  I loved it, but had to clean it every time that I used it and kept it so oiled down that it felt more like a jewel than a tool.

Yesterday I shot my uncle's S&W 1911 - that is one sweet pistol!!!

I think that I will keep my two Glocks in 9MM - both the 26 & 19, but if I ever want another 1911 I know which one that I will go and get.

Later,

Badredfish
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:16:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Do these pistols have a locking mechanism like their revolvers?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:43:56 PM EDT
[#17]
No, the SW1911s do not have any politically correct locking mechanisms on them, no locks, no magazine safeties.  Only a firing pin safety to prevent accidental discharge if dropped on it's hammer while cocked.

They are truely great 1911s.  Search all of the forums and see whose owners are most delighted with their SW1911s and SW customer service (if needed).

James
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:54:25 PM EDT
[#18]
When I saw the title of this thread, I knew before entering it had to be the S&W. Best 1911 being made.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:06:37 PM EDT
[#19]
The S&W 1911PD 4 1/4" is as close to a perfect pistol as I have ever encountered.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top