Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2002 6:42:00 AM EDT
There is one at my local pawn shop for 165.00 in like new condition.  The owner thought it didn't even have any rounds through it, but I can tell it has had a few.  I don't know why I need this, but it is kind of cute.  It is not the polished finish, just matte.  How do these shoot? Should I get it or, should I think about a CZ70 in .32 for $80.00, if I want a compact .32?  Thanks for your opinions, guns762

edited to add:  It has the factory box, lock, papers, tags, ect.  Condition is Like new.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 11:31:33 AM EDT
[#1]
I've never heard anything positive about the Tomcat.  Get the CZ70 out of those 2.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 1:51:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Too late,  I just picked it up.  I am a gun junky, I am sick.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 2:13:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 6:29:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh well, too late to say anything constructive, but good for you - you can never have too many guns. he
I have no experience but have heard mixed reports on Keltec 32's but they are sure light.

I shot a friends Beretta once -- shot nice,  You got a good deal so enjoy.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 8:43:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I have heard mixed reviews on these, most weren't too good.  Range report, please!  I like my Beretta 21 Bobcat, but it is not the most reliable gun in the world, just a fun little plinker.

Edited because I have the BOBCAT .22, not the TOMCAT .32
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 2:20:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have heard mixed reviews on these, most weren't too good.  Range report, please!  I like my Beretta 21 Tomcat, but it is not the most reliable gun in the world, just a fun little plinker.

I'll try to go out today or tomorrow.  I'll let ya know how it shoots.  If it will keep them all in  a 6" group at 7yds, I'll be happy.  The trigger seems like a monster, maybe I'm just a wuss.

Link Posted: 2/10/2002 9:13:21 AM EDT
[#7]
*RANGE REPORT*
Here it is. I only shot 18 shots last night, sorry, got cold and dark. I shot at @10yds. I figured this would be the real world distance that I would ever have to use this pistol for. I shot Winchester 71gr. white box ammo. Using the grip described by Striker, one and two handed(thanks again), the first 8 shots hit point to aim, with a group of about 2 1/2". Three of the eight hit the 1" bulls eye. On my second string of eight, I tried double tapping my shots. My over all group opened up to about 3", with 3 of the eight going stray(high and right), but still hitting the 9" paper plate. The last two I slow fired into the bulls eye! The main group of 18 shots was about 3" covering the bulls eye. I am impressed with the accuracy out of the 2 1/2" barrel. I believe I could very easily hit a 9" paper plate at 25yds, maybe even further?

My one complaint about the Beretta 3032 Tomcat is that the trigger is heavy, and my hand is big enough that I can't use the second pad on my finger to squeeze. I had to use the first pad on my trigger finger to apply pressure. If I didn't........Have you ever had that dream where you can't pull the trigger on the bad guy, no matter what? You know, the one where you pull and pull and pull and nothing happens? Well that's what happened a couple of times trying to use my second pad on my finger. Just to big of fingers to do it. As long as I used the first pad, no problem.

As for the recoil. Every one that has had an opinion on the recoil of the .32 Tomcat says it is negligible. Holy S#@%T Batman, that's negligible? I was expecting something close to my .32S&W chambered H&A .32 Safety Police; it is not. I shoot .44mags about half the time I have a pistol in my hand, and always a few with heavy grizzly loads, so I don't consider my self a wuss. But, I don't consider the recoil on the Tomcat, negligible! I was surprised by the sharpness. I don't know if I would let someone who has not fired a handgun before shoot this for the very first one. I think it had similar recoil to my Makarov.

As for function, absolutely no problems. I know, only 18 shots, so I will have to let you know later if I have any problems. The ejection of the brass was energetic at worst, lethal at best! It really sends them flying up and behind you. Most brass flew about 5 yds to my rear, some, more, all of them, about 15ft in the air!

Over all, I am very pleased with my Tomcat. The caliber may not be the best man stopper, or even dog stopper, but it will be better than my hands. I think it will work great for a concealed pocket pistol on days when the weather will not permit the carry of my 92FS.

Link Posted: 2/10/2002 2:32:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Have to agree with you on the recoil.  I think it is pretty sharp as well.  I have had my Tomcat for a couple of years now and it has never failed to fire.  I have thought about the Pachmeyer grips for it maybe they would decrease the felt recoil a little.

Aggie1
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 12:21:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I had my local gunsmith do a "trigger job" as he called it on my Tomcat and it helped tremendously in single action, not much on double.  The recoil, as guns762 said, is as much or more than most .38's...definitely not a gun for a new user.  About grips, unless you are accustomed to working with small parts get the gunsmith to do it for you, lots of little pieces come loose when not restrained by the grip...
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 11:19:15 AM EDT
[#10]
I'll put money on it jamming before you get to 50 rounds.

Of course, some say the Tomcat gets better with age, so if it's used, it might be "broke in".

I traded mine in for a Keltec p32.

It didn't recoil as much as my Airweight .38 but it was nasty and loud for a .32.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 11:38:56 AM EDT
[#11]

Of course, some say the Tomcat gets better with age, so if it's used, it might be "broke in".

The problem with the Tomcat is that by the time you get it "broke in", you have exceeded the recommended service life of the firearm.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 2:18:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Sorry guys,
Still working.  Went through a box and a half of shells Sunday, not a glitch.  BTW, I talked to the previous owner, he never fired it. I was actually working on double taps with it at 20yds, followed by a head shot.  I occasionally pulled a few to the left on the second round, but most were right in the kill zone, COM.  I think I missed one head shot after the double taps.  I get more impressed with this pistol each time I take it out.  I just wish it didn't throw the brass so dang far!  I did skin my thumb on the first double tap....ouch!  Still working on Striker's grip, but I'm getting a lot more consistent.  You can say what you want about the Tomcat, but it works great for me.  At 165.00 NIB, I don't think I went wrong.

edited to add it has been 4 months since the original post.  I have shot several boxes of shell since that first outing.  No malfunctions of any kind.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 3:21:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Damn!  Jammed on the 27th round!  This will be the last time that I buy a gun based on how well other models of the brand perform...still, it's small and will fit where others will not...like that small little cubby in the dash of my truck...  
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 6:53:07 PM EDT
[#14]
I dumped my Tomcat for a North American Arms .32 and I love it.  The Tomcat was OK but much too bulky for a .32.

Good Luck
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 5:19:57 AM EDT
[#15]
I had a Tomcat and admired the typical Baretta quality, but found it too thick and bulky for my tastes.  Next tried a North American .32 and even sent it off for Novak sights, etc.  Got it back and after carrying it for a while it seemed like a little brick in my pocket.  Now trying out a Kel Tec .32.  It certainly isn't much to look at, but is quite flat and very light.  It also seems to fire every time.  

Jokingly held the Kel Tec up in front of a friend and asked "Have you seen the new little Glock?"  He eagerly grabbed it and then his face fell when he examined it.  Well, we can keep wishing.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top