Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/7/2003 11:37:17 AM EDT
I was wondering if any of you Beretta guys here had a Cougar 8045...I had one, traded it to a buddy, and just traded my Walther P99 to him to get my Cougar back...

I love this gun, great accuracy, 100% reliablity and it's in .45....

I shot the 8009 at a range in '96...it was the reason I bought the 8045 in the first place...

So any Cougar 8045 owners here or Cougar owners in general?
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 7:35:17 PM EDT
My uncle owns a Beretta model 8000 Cougar. Lets me shoot when he goes to the range. Its a nice firearm, though he doesn't like it much, plans to trade it in for a model 92FS. For a 4" barrel it was pushing good groups out at 30-35 yards, all in the black. Not as good as his Springfield 1911 A1 chambered in 9mm, but it was doing good considering. The DA was a little long I didn't have much of a problem, but the grouping went a little wide when I used it, otherwise it was in SA when I shot it which brought the grouping back down. Great compact firearm, love the Beretta products.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 6:56:12 AM EDT
Wow I can't beleive that I'm the only Cougar owner here...the 92F is a great gun, but you guys are missing out on a great Beretta in the Cougar
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 3:03:35 PM EDT
I've owned the Cougar in both 9mm and 40 s&w. Not a bad gun, but others just seemed to fit better in my hand. Nothing but a personal choice. Currently I typically carry an HK P7 or a Glock 26.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 3:04:44 PM EDT
I have the 8000 and love it. A little to big for summer carry, so I got my G23 most of time on me now.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 8:43:20 PM EDT

Any Cougar 8045 owners here?

I got me one

Excellent weapon. I only wish it were slimmer to make cc a little easier.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 4:40:04 AM EDT
Alright a 8045 owner....Do you carry yours all the time? I have a thumbbreak holster for mine and was looking for a open top belt scabbard. Found a excellent one at Don Hume leather for $39.45...

I don't mind the width, but it is a tad heavy. I can live with that though, I have carried 1911 steel frame guns that were just as heavy...

What round are you carrying? I have a Federal Hydra Shok in mine...
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 7:41:31 AM EDT
Dog1,

My 8045 is my primary carry gun but I usually carry concealed, IWB, sans holster. I'm in construction so I don't carry mine all the time. If I did, I'd probably have to come up with a better rig.

I have an Uncle Mikes cordura slide holster that I use at the range and such that I have taken the retention straps off of. They just attach with velcro so you can adjust them, switch the side the thumbreak is on, or take them off completely. The key to this rig is a good stiff belt.

I'm with ya' on the Hydra-Shoks. I use the 165 gr though. Besides being a little hotter, in the tests that I've seen, they expand more fully.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 8:11:41 AM EDT
I have 230 grain in mine..I do have some 185 grain Golden Sabers...a guy at a gun show was blowing them out for like $7 bucks a box....they are P+ though, and I have always been leary of using P+ in a alloy frame gun...maybe if someone comes out with a recoil/buffer for the 8045 I'll shoot some...

I have a Kramer belt that I bought 10 years ago when I got a holster and mag pouch for a Sig P226...both the belt and the holster has held up extremely well for being used almost daily for 10 years...

What kinda of groups are you getting out of yours?
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 8:24:38 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Dog1:
What kinda of groups are you getting out of yours?

Groups? Hell, I don't get to shoot enough to be able to speak in terms of groups. I can keep them on the paper out to 50 yds (usually) but I think the gun is more accurate than I am.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 9:45:26 AM EDT
Well I certaintly do not shoot like I used to, I was shooting 8-10 times a month, 1500-2000 rounds a month, that is until the kids were born....

I shot the Cougar on Monday and was getting about 1 and half inch groups at 25 yards.....
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 11:03:53 AM EDT
1-1/2" is pretty good. That's more than good enough for eliminating BG's. What ammo do you use for targets? Ever done any competitive (rapid fire) shooting with the Cougar? I'm curious as to how it would perform under such conditions.

Mb121 mentioned the Cougar's long trigger pull shooting DA. I have the same problem. Getting that first round downrange without the tendency to jerk at it. Have you modified yours any?
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 11:33:22 AM EDT
My target ammo is either Federal or American Eagle...I have done speed drills, double taps, El Presidente, ect. It does well in speed shooting...The rotating barrel helps with recoil management...

As for the long double action pull, I'm a long time Beretta 92F and Sig shooter, so I'm used to pistols with long double action pulls...the best thing about the Beretta's are that the long pulls are not gritty or heavy, just smooth, but long.

Mine is un-modified, but with quite a few rounds down the pipe..I think that has smoothed out the pull alot....
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 1:19:49 PM EDT
Where's the place to get a couple new unopened factory 8045 mags?

GoGo
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 1:38:43 PM EDT
CDNN has them, but I bought mine direct from Beretta...they were the same price and cheaper shipping....
Top Top