Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/13/2010 12:28:41 PM EDT
I'm looking for some .45 win mag ammo, and it's just a little hard to come by...anyone have any ideas where to look?
Link Posted: 4/13/2010 4:09:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm looking for some .45 win mag ammo, and it's just a little hard to come by...anyone have any ideas where to look?

Reloading.

Starlline has the brass, and for just fooling around you can use .45 ACP bullets.

At .45 Win mag velocity the .45 ACP bullets tend to come apart when they hit.
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 4:18:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you very much.

That sucks that no one sells it much.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 12:33:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Thank you very much.

That sucks that no one sells it much.

Wait till you see what happens to an HP bullet designed for .45 ACP velocity when you drive it in a .45 Win mag.

They just come apart in the game.

The deer do promptly fall down dead though.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 12:44:55 PM EDT
[#4]
ISn't there some stuff for the .450 bushmaster now that would work well in .45winmag?
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 7:31:43 AM EDT
[#5]
.45 ACP bullets are indeed too lightly constructed to perform well at Winmag velocities.

The bulk Winchester 230 grain JHPs hold up well enough to make good varmint bullets.  Tremendous expansion, but penetration is lacking.

I used to load the Sierra 240 grain bullet, it did well, but some times mangled itself on the feed ramp.

Lee used to make a 230 grain hollow point mould.  I never tried it on anything other than water and wet newspaper, but it did seem to perform well there.  It would mushroom, but hold together and penetrate.

That mould is now out of print, and my mould seems to have disappeared.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top