Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2006 8:15:43 PM EDT
I was reading around in the various handgun forums and I saw someone mention the .45 super cartridge and how it gets close, if not matches 10mm power.  

http://www.realguns.com/archives/020.htm

After reading that article, they basically said it was only necessary to change out the recoil spring, firing pin spring, and maybe the firing pin. Has anyone tried this? Or is it not really worth my time?

Also, is the general concensus about .400 Corbon. Both of these conversions don't seem too complicated and they offer better performance.

Let me know what you think, and I apologize in advance if this is beaten to death.

Brian
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:37:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I dinked with the .400 Cor-Bon a few years ago.  I never could get the gun to feed reliably.  As the rounds feed, they slide along the next round down in the magazine until they come to the shoulder of the case.  Then they nosedive.

The .400 might work okay in a Glock or HK or in a pistol that lets the rounds sit up higher in relation to the chamber.

Also, the only "advantage" to the .400 is that you can use light bullets in it.  If you load 165 or 180 grain bullets in it, it pretty much turns back into a .45 as far as velocity.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:29:09 AM EDT
[#2]
What about the .45 Super that has the same external dimensions as .45 ACP?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:22:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I Heard and became obsessed with the .45 super in 1994. I think most of us see foot pounds & fps and start drooling. Things happened in my life that set the idea on the shelf (one of which being the AWB) and Only a handful of times has that prarie dog stuck its head out of the hole.

I have this talent for writing Homerian epics, so let me trim the BS...

NO.

1. .45 Super is like 10mm for all the good/bad reasons except it is MORE of a PITA (in terms of ammo supply & cost). Plus, IIRC you MUST have the .45 worked on because the chamber pressure is too much for standard .45 layout.

2. .45 super 10mm is a bad choice for a gun. If this causes foam to form at your mouth then take a deep breath and add the worfs "for me" at the end of the last sentence. Like the .44, its a matter of overpenetration/overkill. Recoil has to be a bitch. I have a hard enough time as it is practicing with ball. I can scarcely afford to practice with JHP, which is to my detriment. I would really be in the shitter coming up with the $ to practice with .45 super and a pistol that "advanced" (recoil wise) would really throw me off my game.

3. It's been in existence in my world for more than 10 years and I haven't seen it take off, nor any special need for it yet.

If you want something "over the top" consider a 1911 chambered for 10mm, unless you just want to be different, and if you have the time, $, etc. there's nothing wrong w that.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 4:41:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the 400 corbon in my Springfield 1911. Its running with a Ed Brown barrel and heavy spring set w/ recoil buffer. Its a pretty hot round. I would consider it to be a bit of a 10mm or .357 mag. I like it, but at the same time its not my everyday carry. I bit too expensive and non traditional. I do have good accuracy results about 3 inches at 25 yards, which I find slightly better than running 45acp in the same handgun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top