Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2009 9:17:43 AM EDT
Is this a waste of money?
I like the idea of a compact sized Glock (19/23 etc.) in .45 caliber.
I realize I'd have to reload though to feed that habit.

Link Posted: 12/14/2009 9:28:00 AM EDT
[#1]
some say yes, some say no.  I think it's a cool round, good .45 caliber in small form.  It's ultimately your decision.  Ammo can be found but you have to look a little harder and it costs more money.  If this is not a problem for you, go for it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 9:35:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Is this a waste of money?

I like the idea of a compact sized Glock (19/23 etc.) in .45 caliber.

I realize I'd have to reload though to feed that habit.

I like the GAP more than the Short and Weak, but then I like the .41 Magnum, too.

The Cabela's in PA bought thousands of WWB GAP rounds because the State Police Barracks is right down the hill, thinking that the Staties would buy practice ammo and guys would buy what the State Cops carry.  There were only two things wrong with this idea.

1) The Staties don't like to pay for ammo.  They'll practise, as long as it is that "free" gub'mint money that pays for it.
2) Their own sales staff do not like Glock and do not like this round.  They actively told people to look at a "real" .45, like the 1911, or the S&W M&P, or to look at the .40 S&W.

Long story short, Cabela's sent the ammo back to Winchester for Credit.

The market has spoken.  They will not buy this Glock.  They want nothing more than a single stack .45ACP in a G-17/19 sized frame and will not accept anything less.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 9:47:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
They want nothing more than a single stack .45ACP in a G-17/19 sized frame and will not accept anything less.

that sounds nearly like an XD45.....   very nice frame size for a double stack .45 ACP.  If you haven't gripped one, you should try it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 10:15:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
They want nothing more than a single stack .45ACP in a G-17/19 sized frame and will not accept anything less.

that sounds nearly like an XD45.....   very nice frame size for a double stack .45 ACP.  If you haven't gripped one, you should try it.

I've handled the XD's (std. XD-45, and the XD(M)).  They were ok.  The grip angle is ok (meaning better than a Glock), but I'm kinda non-committal on them.

A XD-45 Compact w/ thumb safety would be nice, but I don't see that offered.  Same size envelope as the G-38, but it has 10+1 of ACP vs. 8+1 of GAP.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 10:19:24 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a Glock 37 and I like the pistol.  I do not like the ammo cost but other then that it is a good pistol.  My mom uses it for her truck gun because she shoots it well, the recoil is low enough for her to control, and it is a 45.  
If you take the G37 compared to all the other Glock full size pistols it is the only one that does not have a box front, comes with ext slide stop, and it is a 45 in the 9/40 frame.  I have shot the hell out of mine and never had one issue with it.

If you can reload for it most of your 45 reloading equipment will work for it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 10:48:48 AM EDT
[#6]
ammo supply is an issue, I would pass

Get a glock SF
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 11:26:32 AM EDT
[#7]

Not very popular, have never seen the ammo in any store or LGS.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 11:44:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Answer to a question nobody asked?
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 11:46:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Not very popular, have never seen the ammo in any store or LGS.

The 45 GAP would be perfect if you could trim ACP ammo down to work in the GAP but the primer size is different and the bottom of the casing is reenforced for the higher pressure.  

The GAP makes a great defensive pistol but not a very good friend to your pocket book to take to the range.  My .357Sig and .45GAP do not see much range time because of that.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 2:22:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I'll add to that what a pain it is to scrounge for brass at the range.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 4:42:59 PM EDT
[#11]
i asked some questions a while back

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=13&t=86007
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 5:42:14 PM EDT
[#12]
so you have to get a custom barrel for it to do any kind of conversion?
Link Posted: 12/15/2009 5:11:23 AM EDT
[#13]
As long as law enforcement uses a particular cartridge, than that cartridge will not die out.
So far, four state law enforcement agencies (GA, SC, NY, PA) have adopted it and another state angency (FL) is considering adopting it [depends on if they can get the 4th gen Glocks in .45GAP].

Every major ammo manufacturer (ie. Speer, Winchester, Remington, Federal, etc.) makes .45GAP ammo.

Link Posted: 12/15/2009 5:17:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
As long as law enforcement uses a particular cartridge, than that cartridge will not die out.
So far, four state law enforcement agencies (GA, SC, NY, PA) have adopted it and another state angency (FL) is considering adopting it [depends on if they can get the 4th gen Glocks in .45GAP].

Every major ammo manufacturer (ie. Speer, Winchester, Remington, Federal, etc.) makes .45GAP ammo.

Wow I had no clue that many LE agencies were using the .45GAP.  That is pretty cool that people with small hands can have a Glock and a 45 at the same time.  I am pretty sure they will make a 4th gen out of it since the 17/22/32/34/35/17L/24 all use the same frame.
Link Posted: 12/15/2009 9:52:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Just depends on if you have the money and will to feed it. Its a good round but really only practical if you just MUST have a compact Glock in 45.

There are other platforms in 45acp that would do just as good for the same role and are cheaper to feed but the Gap works well in compact glock frames..

Id take a look at some local gunshops and see how much GAP ammo the keep in stock and for how much.

And its always good to note that if there was ever a situation where there were civil unrest or a lack of ammunition, the uncommon/less common rounds are going to be next to impossable to get. Just something to note, if your not concerned about that then id say go for it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2009 1:31:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just depends on if you have the money and will to feed it. Its a good round but really only practical if you just MUST have a compact Glock in 45.

There are other platforms in 45acp that would do just as good for the same role and are cheaper to feed but the Gap works well in compact glock frames..

Id take a look at some local gunshops and see how much GAP ammo the keep in stock and for how much.

And its always good to note that if there was ever a situation where there were civil unrest or a lack of ammunition, the uncommon/less common rounds are going to be next to impossible to get. Just something to note, if your not concerned about that then id say go for it.

This could go both ways when the ammo crisis was around I could find .45GAP and .357Sig but no 45ACP, 9mm Para, or 40S&W.
Link Posted: 12/15/2009 3:13:08 PM EDT
[#17]
I bought a Glock 37 back in March of this year. I got a fair price, and haven't had a problem buying ammo. The dealer I purchased it from has sold several, and always keeps many boxes on hand, as well as a couple  hundred reloads around the shop for plinking. I use a .22 conversion kit with it most of the time anyway, and I believe it has helped my accuracy by repetition. I think it is a capable defense round and has proven so in some cases I have read.  All in all I am happy with my purchase, which is half the battle. I had a Taurus .40 and I loathed that thing, the trigger was awful, and just didn't like the pistol in general.
Link Posted: 12/15/2009 4:06:18 PM EDT
[#18]
$379 at Bud's Gunshop for a Glock 37.
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 2:53:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So far, four state law enforcement agencies (GA, SC, NY, PA) have adopted it and another state agency (FL) is considering adopting it [depends on if they can get the 4th gen Glocks in .45GAP].

The Florida Highway Patrol will be transitioning to the Glock 37 from Beretta .40cals in the summer of 2010. It's a done deal, they're just waiting on the guns to come in.
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 3:07:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The Florida Highway Patrol will be transitioning to the Glock 37 from Beretta .40cals in the summer of 2010. It's a done deal, they're just waiting on the guns to come in.

Wonder if they had the same issues with frame life as the PA State Police did?
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 7:00:43 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And its always good to note that if there was ever a situation where there were civil unrest or a lack of ammunition, the uncommon/less common rounds are going to be next to impossible to get. Just something to note, if your not concerned about that then id say go for it.

This could go both ways when the ammo crisis was around I could find .45GAP and .357Sig but no 45ACP, 9mm Para, or 40S&W.

yep my same thoughts.

I saw plenty of GAP at the last fun show, 50 rounds WWB $23, which is what got me thinking.  

I obviously wouldn't shoot it as often as my 19, but I'd probably prefer to carry it.

If the SHTF the 19 and the large number of mags I have will suffice.

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 12:20:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wonder if they had the same issues with frame life as the PA State Police did?

On the Beretta or Glock? Any issues with the Glock have supposedly been resolve. Beretta is no longer manufacturing the 96G and it is reaching the end of its service life.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 2:24:28 PM EDT
[#23]
I had a G38 when they first came out.  It handled great and felt really comfortable.  The problem at the time was finding leather for it so I sold it.  I regret it.  A local agency by me has gone to it as well as NYSP which has had great success with it since its adoption.  I think its a great round and system, especially for me since I have small hands.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 4:29:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Reference to finding holsters for the Glock 37 I know  the Glock 37 fits in holster made for the large frame Glock 20/21.  The slide width of the 37/38 are very close to the large frame slides and I know the Glock 37 will fit in a Fobus Glock 21 paddle holster.  I have shot the Glock 37/38 and really like the pistols and cartridge.  For a close range defensive pistol I think they're great.  All the Glock 45 GAP have had really good accuracy.  The only issue I have with the 45 GAP are the same for the 45 ACP.  The 45's have more bullet drop at long range and do not penetrate doors and other objects as well as other cartridges.  This is usually not a problem and sometimes desirable.

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 5:16:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good point......back a few months ago when the ammo rush was going on, I could not find any of the more common calibers(9mm,.40,.45acp) but I'll be damned there was a ton of .45 GAP sitting on the shelf. Not walmart, but a local gun shop.

So it could work the other way around.

Link Posted: 12/18/2009 11:15:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

that sounds nearly like an XD45.....   very nice frame size for a double stack .45 ACP.  g36 If you haven't gripped one, you should try it.

is the g36 a single stack glock in .45acp?
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 11:46:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

that sounds nearly like an XD45.....   very nice frame size for a double stack .45 ACP.  g36 If you haven't gripped one, you should try it.

Yes...  It also has a slide the same width as the 17/22/31
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 7:45:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes...  It also has a slide the same width as the 17/22/31

Yes, but the butt is short and it has  ~3.6" barrel.  They wanted an 8 shot .45 the size of a G-19 and a 9 shot .45 the size of a G-17.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 9:38:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top