Looking for expert opinions on brands of .44 magnums, which to purchase, thanks
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 6:55:39 PM EDT
Get one now!
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 6:57:06 PM EDT
Whoops, Meant to say,
"Get ANY one now".
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 8:05:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/13/2003 8:07:36 PM EDT by KODoc]
I guess it depends on how much you plan to shoot it and for what purpose.

I have a near-mint 6 1/2" bright blue S&W Mdl 29 with Goncalo Alves stocks resting in its fitted wooden case that I bought new. It's digested no more than 20 full house rounds and about one hundred reduced handloads since I didn't want to shake the hell out of it.

Recently, I've been thinking about geting a shooter. I'm leaning toward the 4" version favored by Elmer Keith, but only if I can get an earlier style.

Mdl.29's are by no means the strongest DA 44 mags, just the classiest.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 4:32:34 AM EDT
two suggestions: SMITH and WESSON
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 6:03:15 AM EDT
This is a bit off topic but...

DodgeRam, Nice Name!
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 6:06:11 AM EDT
Get the super blackhawk so you can load hot for it
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 9:52:01 AM EDT
Get a Smith and Wesson, model 629 mountain gun.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 9:58:18 AM EDT
If you like double action and want to shoot mostly mild loads go with the S&W 29.

Other wise it's Ruger for hot loads and durabilty. Either the Redhawk, Blackhawk or my personal favorite the Vaquero "yipp-yippie kiaeeeee"
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 11:19:13 AM EDT
I recently bought the Ruger Redhawk, and it is an excellent weapon.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 1:44:23 PM EDT
Geez, I can't believe I am the first to suggest... Desert Eagle.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 4:49:26 PM EDT
I like the Ruger Vaquero and Redhawk series. Of course, I would also suggest .45 Colt.......
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 8:41:57 PM EDT
If you're not going to hotload it or hunt with it for a couple hundred rds a month, then get a S&W.

If you are going to hotload it then get a Ruger, either Blackhawk or Redhawk.

Mine is a S&W 29 Classic, i.e. blued steel with a full lugged barrel. Trigger is a wet dream.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 5:55:51 AM EDT
I am partial to the Ruger Redhawk in stainless steel, with the 5 1/2 inch barrel. I do not like scopes on handguns, so the longer barrel of the 7 1/2 inch version seemed a bit too unwieldy to me. I also found the Super Redhawk to be too large to suit my purposes, also.

One thing about the Redhawks is that they are not the smoothest handguns on the market, nor the prettiest, but they are solid as the proverbial bank vault!! Randy Garrett loads special ammo for the .44 magnum and 45/70 that he recommends ONLY for Redhawks. The big 330gr 'Hammerhead' loads are too long for a S&W cylinder, as well as a bit much for their frame. 330 grains of lead with a muzzle velocity of 1385FPS......YOWZA!!!!!! A killer at both ends!!!

Cock a S&W model 29 and you get nice, crisp clicks. With a Ruger you get a couple of solid 'clunks'. They are funny-looking compared to the svelte lines of the Smiths, but I am partial to the brute strength of the Ruger Redhawk. Another plus is the relatively low cost of the Redhawk.

Redhawks need better grips, but other than that all they need is lots of ammo........
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 5:11:48 PM EDT
I bought a Anaconda about 5 years ago and its served me very well. Excellent DA trigger pull, couldn't be happier with it. It is much more accurate than I am. One hold groups with 44SPL @ 30 ft. At 50 yds w/ 44 Mag it'll keep them all inside a pie plate. Plus its classy as hell...

Link Posted: 6/16/2003 5:24:34 PM EDT
It seems I get mixed reviews about this company, but taurus does make two models of DA 44 Mags. I still haven't gotten solid feedback on the Model 44, but the Raging Bull seems to be plenty durable. Just thought I would mention them.

Gundraw
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 5:59:04 PM EDT
I don't have one, but I hear good things about the Dan Wessons. Can't go wrong with a smith and wesson either. Personally I like scopes on 44's because they are already pretty big so adding a scope doesn't hurt anything. My friend has a 8" 629-1 with a 2x leupold on it. That thing is a beauty. The scope helps you get the most out of the range potential of the 44 mag cartridge and the exception accuracy of a good revolver. It's a blast of plinking spent shotgun shells or smashing broken electronics!
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 7:27:53 PM EDT
You have to tell us what you want to do with it.

Basically-

S&Ws can have awesome triggers and plain look better then everything else, but a diet of the heavy loads greater then 240grs will tend to shake them loose a bit, not as strong as the Rugers.

Rugers- Stronger, you can't make it have a good trigger, and they are fugly.

Dan Wesson- No personal expericne to speak from.

Contender, damn strong, good trigger, often have truely awesome accuracy, but single shot, and the trigger guard whacks me awfully hard when I fire it.

Anything else?
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 8:34:06 PM EDT
I like the Ruger Redhawk. The trigger can be helped a little. I also got rid of the wood grips that came with it. The frame extended past the grips at the bottom, digging into the palm of my hand. I put a set of Pachmyr Presentation grips on it. They fill the hand nicely, and I don't like finger groove grips.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 6:57:19 AM EDT
Go with the Redhawk if you want to shoot heavy loads. I've had 2 of them, the grip takes some getting used to. I tried all the aftermarket grips then finally round-butted the latest one and installed a grip shoe. It works for me. A 4" M29 sure is sexy though.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 7:19:19 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MOLOT:

This is my .44, and it's a good gun for me. The only time I would carry it is when backpacking, and you want to cut as much weight as possible. With a short turned-down barrel and no full underlug, it's a little abusive with full 240gr magnums. I load about halfway in between .44 spl and .44 mag; that's a nice practice round. I can shoot full loads out of it accurately, it just makes my arm go numb.

{sarcasm}
And BTW, Dodgeram, you should keep away from puny calibers like .44mag. I've heard that a cylinder full won't stop a drugged-out schoolgirl. Always get the biggest thing out there; choose .500 S&W if you really want to limit yourself to handgun rounds.
{/sarcasm}
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 10:16:16 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MOLOT:

I'll say the same. I have one and it's the sexiest gun I own and it has a GREAT trigger, both DA and SA. It's 4" barrel is a bit short for hunting, but otherwise she's a beaut!
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 12:37:50 AM EDT
I have a Taurus M44 and had a Desert Eagle 44. Both are accurate, but the DE was a whole lot easier on the wrist. Very tame with 325 grain. My wife's favorite. When you have a DE it's a lot more fun to watch for them in movies.

Just don't aim low when shooting cans off your friend's plow. 325 grain goes right through some pretty thick steel. Several layers of it.

The Eagle ran flawlessly on really hot loads, but didn't like cheap ammo at all.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 3:05:37 AM EDT

Originally Posted By HSimpson:
I have a Taurus M44 and had a Desert Eagle 44. Both are accurate, but the DE was a whole lot easier on the wrist. Very tame with 325 grain. My wife's favorite. When you have a DE it's a lot more fun to watch for them in movies.

Just don't aim low when shooting cans off your friend's plow. 325 grain goes right through some pretty thick steel. Several layers of it.

The Eagle ran flawlessly on really hot loads, but didn't like cheap ammo at all.

The DE is finicky like that. But the semi in 44 mag delivers a 'cool' factor comparable to none. I owned a 357 DE and a 50AE DE (both now gone). The 357 was too much gun for that puny 357 and the 50 was murder on my wrist. A 44 would be better I would guess.

Smith and Wesson though, can't go wrong with that.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 3:29:24 AM EDT
HI I have ruggers and love them for their great
strong frames ect but....Buy a S&W 29 or 629. Pick
what you like Blue vs stainless and length.Have
your gunsmith carefully check out any used gun
as this is the model most abbused by overeager
handloaders.Any good smith can do a easy quick
trigger job on any new 629 (they come from the factory pretty stiff)and then they shoot like a dream.
On the subject of the strengh of ruger vs S&W:
If you hunt or need super heavy loads-by all means
have fun with your Ruger,I do this with mine.
If you want a fine firearm with a good trigger
to shoot factory loads or similar level sane
reloads I think you will be very happy with the
S&W!!
A full house factory or like reload is all most
people really want to shoot out of a handgun.(most folks at my club shoot mild level
reloads or 44spl most of the time )
NHSPORT
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:22:27 AM EDT
I owned an Annoconda, and it was a royal POS. The trigger would not return properly (even after 2 trips to Colt to fix this) getting stuck quite frequently, the firing pin snapped off and would no longer function.

It was horrid.

I got rid of it and bought a Smith 629 with a 6.5" barrel on it. The Smith has a better trigger, better sights, and better feel than that Annoconda. I bought my Annoconda not long before Colt went nuts. It was a horrid piece. Fit and finish were awful.

Now the Annoconda is a custom shop item so it might actually function (i don't know how you %#@^$@ up a revolver, but they sure did it good) but it is over a grand. The gun is NOT worth it.

Smith 629 is the way to go if you want a good gun to carry and fire factory ammo through, with a nice feel and good DA and SA trigger.

If you want to use uber-stupidly hot handloads, (which are not necessary for anything more than machismo really...) buy a super-blackhawk or a Thompson Center, or even better a Freedom Arms gun and you should be fine.

Link Posted: 6/23/2003 4:54:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/23/2003 5:01:45 PM EDT by RugerCal480]
My preference is the Ruger in a revolver....you can get it in the Redhawk, blued/stainless, but the wooden grip is not all that comfortable. The stainless is easier to care for and lasts and lasts. The blued ones need more care and can pit. The Super Redhawk comes ONLY in stainless and is sturdy beyond belief. In the 7 1/2 or 9 1/2 inch barrels they are formidable hunting guns and target/steel plate guns; shorter, they are not great "carry" guns. In the 44 magnums they will shoot the hottest loads and for plinking with less recoil use the 44 S&W Specials. They are easier to handle than the .454/.480's, and every bit as formidable with large game, shy of Elk or Grizzly. The Vaquero's are fine guns, but come with fixed, barrel sights. The Super Redhawk and Redhawk are adjustable sights. IF you are going to carry a Ruger Super Redhawk for hunting, scope it.. with a 7 1/2 or 9 1/2 inch barrel you won't be looking to rapid fire it, and why waste a gun with a 9 1/2 barrel with an Aimpoint/Red Dot? Reaching out and touching something is what it's all about! If you want to beat something to death with your .44 magnum, get an S&W or one of the other gimpy-guns <grin>. If you want to shoot something by sheer luck, and spend the time searching for/ sponging up all the pieces, get a Desert Eagle, but in .50 caliber. If you want to shoot and hunt, get a RUGER!!! ...<laughing...waiting for the flak> Go ahead...make my day!!
Top Top