Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2013 5:05:51 AM EDT
Hi guys,
I have a "question"
Why the hell are almost all current Soft Point loads 240grs @ 1180ft/s? ( I'm from Europe and in my country is forbidden hunting with handgun, so some .44 Magnum heavy hunting loads are not available here as they have no use.)

From Winchester SP over Remington SP to Seller&Bellot SP all are 1180ft/s. It is not fun to shoot these.

PMC declares higher speed, but they are missing info about the barrel lenght and I can't find them here.

Moreover Remington calls their R44MG2 as "high velocity"? What is high on declared 1180ft/s?

Thank you for sharing opinions.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:17:34 AM EDT
[#1]
"Mangnum" is for pansies!  
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:45:08 AM EDT
[#2]
What are you shooting with them big loads, Mr. Mangnum PI?

I know nothing really of rounds sold in Europe, but I'm amazed you can buy any ammo over there, but even in the USA most commercial OTC ammo is considerably watered down for the weakest guns made and liability. Case in point 10mm? Ffft barely .40S&W unless you find the specialty sellers. No such thing in Europe?
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:48:19 AM EDT
[#3]
http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/44mag.html

What do you mean by weak?   That weight projectile traveling at that speed has a lot of energy.  People use .44 mag handguns for protection against bears.  Heavy projectiles penetrate far better than light ones at a given velocity.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:26:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Why do you want a heavier load than that? What are you shoooting at? What weapon?  Do you really want the punishment of the hotter load?

Most reloading data for 240 gr shows around 1250 fps.  There are a few loads over 1500 fps but running over 30,000 CUP
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:32:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Here you go super manly man....

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=54

By the way, do you by chance wear affliction tshirts?
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:47:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Velocity is harder to come by in straight-wall pistol cases than in bottlenecked rifle cases.  So handgun rounds typically get more energy from heavier bullets, not higher velocities.  

Load some up with 340 grain bullets, or buy some of these.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:30:49 PM EDT
[#7]
when I tested Winchester White Box 240gr Q4240 from a 12" barrel, it was 16xx fps. I also tested Remington 180gr from the 12" barrel at 20xx fps
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top