Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/2/2006 6:42:20 PM EDT

What barrel length still produces good velocity in a .44 magnum?  

I have been looking at the 3” 629 S&W revolvers and question how good the performance is and what the recoil is like.

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:15:16 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
What barrel length still produces good velocity in a .44 magnum?  

I have been looking at the 3” 629 S&W revolvers and question how good the performance is and what the recoil is like.

What are you going to be shooting? I'd say at least 5 inches to get most out of the .44 and even longer the better.
I have a a 629 with the shortest barrel(2 1/2 or 3 inches) and it still knocks down steel targets the my 6 inch 44 mag does. I feel the shorter barrels hit hard enough for most things anyway.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:39:26 AM EDT
[#2]
..........velocity/performance are not going to vary between barrel lengths all that much.....there will be a more noticable varience because of bullet weight and propellent load...this was a question adressed by silouett shooters many years ago...who found either length (4"vs 6"/7") produced negligable differences in accuracy....recoil....that`s a different story...but that can be controlled (and not necessarily by.."porting")...most important is what you`re using it for....and the ammo configuration to best get the job done............
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:33:01 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

The felt recoil and mizzle flip of a 3" 629 will be a handful IMHO.

I believe the 6 1/2" gives the best all around performance. By that I mean, less felt recoil, better sight radius and less muzzle flip that the 3" model. I also own an 8 3/8" 629 but find the barrel just a little heavy and not conducive to carry.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:56:12 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a 4" S&W Model 29 and a 6" Model 29.  Felt recoil with full power Magnum loads is noticably greater with the 4" revolver particularly with bullets of 240 grains and up.  For all around use I would recommend 6 or 6.5" barrel.  If you plan on carrying it more than shooting it - the 4" takes the prize.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:46:27 PM EDT
[#5]
A longer barrel gives you a bit more velocity, more weight and a longer sight radius, a shorter barrel gives you a more compact and lighter gun with a bit more recoil.
Pay you money and take your chances.....
BTW, mine is a 7.5" barrel, I use it for hunting and target shooting, it is very accurate but it would be a stone cold bitch to carry concealed whereas I think I might be able to pack a 5" .44 mag.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top