Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 1/3/2006 4:23:26 PM EDT
How much actual velocity is lost between a 4" barrel and a 6" barrel in most factory .44Mag loads?
As I posted elsewhere, I'm going to buy a .44 Mag this weekend, intending to buy a 4" but a couple of guys I talked to at work today said that the 4" barrel loses way too much velocity to make the load effective. A supervisor at work said the load was designed in a 7.5" barrel, and that much shorter than 6.5" and the load loses it's effectivness.

I would much prefer a 4" but now I'm rethinking what I want.
Thanks in advance for any replys.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:25:25 PM EDT
Somewhere in the neighborhood of 50fps per inch.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:46:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/4/2006 7:50:11 AM EDT by Coolio]
4" barrels for the Magnums are a little bit short. One cannot maximize the performance from either the .357 or the .44 Magnums with anything shorter than 6".
BUT, one can make too much out of this. Everyone is fascinated with the "sexy" aspect of the Magnums; which is the increased velocity that they create. And this does matter, but it is useful to keep this in perspective. Handguns as a general proposition do not generate sufficient velocity to really make that big a difference; not when compared with rifles. The only real exception to this is probably the .454 Casull which generates almost 50% more muzzle energy than a .44 Mag. IMHO the primary advantage of the Magnums is more understated. The real advantage of the Magnums is their ability to put heavier bullets to work for you. If you look at it this way, the 4" barrel models are quite useful; especially in the medium caliber .357 Magnum.
Having explained all of this, I would still go for a minimum barrel length of 6" in a .44 Mag.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:36:45 AM EDT
I even shoot a very short 3 inch S&W 629 Trail Boss. I can't tell the difference between it and a 6 inch 629. They both dent steel plates about the same at 25 yards. Very unsceientific but take it for what it's worth.
Top Top