Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/20/2004 6:29:01 PM EDT
Hey guys im looking for the perfect round..I know i want either a glock 22 or 17.. I want to shoot IDPA and i want carry it.  I've heard bad things about high pressure in .40, but the FBI uses it. I like 9mm because its cheap, and some 9mm could stop a bear, I just want some input ...thanks guys
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 12:30:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't think that a 9 will stop a charging bear unless it was small and shot in the skull...even with the 40 its still a .....I'd personally go with the 40....the 9 is fun to knock down cans with but the 40 is whats going to stop that burgler in its tracks quicker...

on the other hand if you got an mp5 in 9mm.....that'll be better
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 12:31:10 AM EDT
[#2]
For IDPA you should shoot the 9mm. 9 and 40 go head to head and the lighter recoiling one gets the advantage.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 4:09:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Best way to stop a charging bear is to take away his credit cards!

Get the 9mm and load it with premium JHP +P+ stuff for defense, use it for IDPA with standard ball...you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:22:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I really like the .40 cal. The KB stories I've been hearing concern me thoough..Anyone have any insight...thanks
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 12:13:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Go with the 9MM.  Not that the .40 isn't good,  it's that you will want to use the smallest caliber you can for competition.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 1:11:58 PM EDT
[#6]
First you must set your priorities.  Do you want a good carry weapon, to defend yourself, or do you want a good competition weapon, to score high?

For high scoring in competition in IDPA, you appear to be talking about non-CDP weapons, which means you would likely be looking for the lightest recoiling weapon you can find that meets the power floor, fits the other weight and size requirements, fits at least 10 rounds in the magazine (more is irrelevant in IDPA), and so on.  The 9mm would be a much better choice.

For carry to defend yourself, you have many more variables to consider, including momentum, kinetic energy, ballistics, your own comfort with recoil, "stopping power", number of rounds carried, and so on.

Personally, the only reason I see to carry a 9mm is because you're buying a Rohrbaugh due to the size.  Anything Kahr size or larger, and I want at least a .40/.45/.357 Mag.  .357 Sig might be OK as well, though I dislike dealing with bottleneck cases from a reloading perspective.

For both you have the usual cost of ammo, practice, and fit in your hand considerations.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 1:20:35 PM EDT
[#7]
thanks for the reply. I guess I'm looking for the best of both worlds..How would +p+ 9mm perform againced +p .40 cal.I'd buy 2 guns but its not in the cards.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:00:47 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
thanks for the reply. I guess I'm looking for the best of both worlds..How would +p+ 9mm perform againced +p .40 cal.I'd buy 2 guns but its not in the cards.

Honestly, the difference is slight. BTW, there is no +P designation for .40, it comes loaded to near max from the factory. Ah, the benefits of being a new round and not one that you could chamber in an old gun.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:13:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I've shot the G22 and I thought it sucked.  Much to flippy for me.  I would much rather have 9mm with good defensive loads or a .45.  If you are going to shoot IDPA then get the 9mm because you can shoot cheap using WWB from Wal-mart but still have the personal protection when using Black Talon or STX or something similar.

I know some guys love the .40 but the snappy-flippyness and the high pressure round don't do it for me.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 1:09:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I've shot the G22 and I thought it sucked.  Much to flippy for me.  I would much rather have 9mm with good defensive loads or a .45.  If you are going to shoot IDPA then get the 9mm because you can shoot cheap using WWB from Wal-mart but still have the personal protection when using Black Talon or STX or something similar.

I know some guys love the .40 but the snappy-flippyness and the high pressure round don't do it for me.

Same here.  I bought a G22 a while ago and didn't like the recoil signature of the gun.  Thought it was very whippy and torquey as well.  When shooting it one handed, the gun seemed to up and twist to the right.  Picked up a used 2nd gen G19 a while after selling the G22 and couldn't be happier.  Considering a G17 or some Glocks in the .45 family next.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:58:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Since it came up again, heres a link to why I dislike .40 caliber.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top