Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/26/2011 1:07:13 PM EDT

I just picked up a S&W 351, in .22 Mag.  Will use it for second gun carry in either an ankle or pocket holster.

I haven't fired it yet, but will this week.  I have some Federal Preminum ammo, in 30 grain bullet weight, and Horaday 45 grain and 30 grain V-max weights.  Assuming they all fire fine and accurate, any recommendations for what to carry?  I realize the .22 mag isn't going to be the best stopper, but it is a backup piece, and I for one would not want to be ventaliate with 7 shots from a 22 mag.

Also, what kind of velocity will the sub 2" bbl put out?  The listed velocities are 2200 FPS, but those are from rifle barrels.

Cheesy gun photo below.  As for the gun itself, it's very nice.  Super light - like 11 OZ or so.  Quality fit and finish, good balance.  It's a keeper.  S&W is proud of them thought - 575 for this model.  This one is the only one I've seen set up for carry work, with the rubber grips, hammerless syle, and a low profile and sturdy white dot front sight.  The more common model has wood grips, a hammer, and fiber optic sights.

Link Posted: 12/26/2011 1:21:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I have chronographed a couple of .22 magnum NAA revolvers back in the day.  You have a tiny bit more barrel, but not much.

I am making a SWAG that you will get a bit over 1000 FPS with the 40 grain loads.

I won't even guess about those of lighter weight.

If it were me, I would probably load it with the full metal jackets.  Penetration is good for these short barrel .22 magnums.

Hollow points out of these short barrels are probably going to turn in disappointing results.

Placement is everything.
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 2:08:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I think hornady makes a V-Max .... might work
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 2:08:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you think hollow points won't expand?  If the 40 grain bullets get 1000 fps, then the 30 grain would be maybe 1100 or 1200 fps.  Wound't that be enough to open up a hollow point?
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 9:15:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I probably wouldn't use the 30gr loading as that's meant more for varmit rounds, and you're going to want penetration. I've tested the Hornady Critical Defense in .22WMR to penetrate quite nicely from a 6" barrel, just didn't get any expansion out of them. I'm wanting to get my hands on the Gold Dot .22WMR.
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 7:12:39 AM EDT
[#5]
In my opinion you should focus on penetration and not expansion.  Go for a heavy solid round.  The testing Ive seen is inconsistent at best.
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 7:52:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I would use fmj or solid

BTW

Very Nice J frame
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 7:49:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 9:08:40 AM EDT
[#8]
CCI 40 gr gamepoint should do the trick.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 9:16:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Do you think hollow points won't expand?  If the 40 grain bullets get 1000 fps, then the 30 grain would be maybe 1100 or 1200 fps.  Wound't that be enough to open up a hollow point?

Chances are they won't expand. Just because it's technically a hollow point doesn't mean squat in .22s.

if the hollow points did expand, they likely would not penetrate deeply enough to damage vital structures.  Using a .22 Mag for self defense is a bit of a compromise, and I wouldn't recommend it.  If you insist on .22 mag, don't expect expansion in that little short barrel.   Use solids.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 3:58:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Good info.  Thanks to all.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 4:04:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Good info.  Thanks to all.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 4:06:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Speer is making a Gold Dot loading in .22 Mag now according to one of the gun rags I read.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 4:11:06 AM EDT
[#13]
From my experience I have had good results with 22LR expanding, that said 22mag was designed for shooting small game, the HP rounds are designed to expand in small game like rabbit and not to penetrate something like a human. I would not run a HP round in anything smaller than a 380. For self defense you want to run a FMJ round for maximum penetration and forget about expansion.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 5:10:33 AM EDT
[#14]
OP, I've always liked the thought of a 7 or 8 shot .22mag for a pocket gun. I once heard a cop refer to the CCI Stinger's as ping pong rounds. Meaning that they bounce around inside the body and are particularly nasty to be shot with. Take that for what its worth.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 7:11:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 12:48:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The cop is a moron.

Quoted:
OP, I've always liked the thought of a 7 or 8 shot .22mag for a pocket gun. I once heard a cop refer to the CCI Stinger's as ping pong rounds. Meaning that they bounce around inside the body and are particularly nasty to be shot with. Take that for what its worth.

Your probably right, I didn't take him too serious.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 6:35:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Speer is making a Gold Dot loading in .22 Mag now according to one of the gun rags I read.

Yeah they do , and it's even tailored for short barrel guns . I've put a 100+ rounds through my
Taurus ultralite and it likes them a lot . While I haven't run it through the crono or any other
conclusive testing . I can attest to the fact that it seriously ruined a cucumber and carrot eating
10lb Groundhogs day from about 25 feet  

Not quite as pretty as your Smith , but my Taurus has been 100% reliable and weighs next to nothing .
I bought it used with the intention of moving up to a S&W 351 PD if I liked the platform . Which I do
but I'd feel guilty treating a 351 PD the way I treat the Taurus .

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:38:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Wow, Speer will make Gold Dots for anything these days....
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:51:44 AM EDT
[#19]
I didnt know they made that in a no-lock. Nice pistol man. My wife keeps my ruger single six for her gun in .22wmr. I use the heaviest FMJ round i can find. Penetration is the key i think.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:25:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:50:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's important to note that all that glitters is not gold, ie. just because it says Gold Dot doesn't mean it's good.

I just never understood why they bothered with the smaller calibers under .380.  I guess if people will buy them, Speer
will make them.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:03:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Something you might want to try is the old Winchester "Dynapoint," load! It has good weight and limited expansion!

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:04:52 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's important to note that all that glitters is not gold, ie. just because it says Gold Dot doesn't mean it's good.

To Speer's defense, I don't believe anyone has tested any of this load in gel. .22 WMR has no problems penetrating 12+" from even a snubbie.  It would be interesting to see if Doc will test them.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:21:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:01:56 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

To Speer's defense, I don't believe anyone has tested any of this load in gel. .22 WMR has no problems penetrating 12+" from even a snubbie.  It would be interesting to see if Doc will test them.

Not going to happen. Gelatin testing is time consuming and expensive; DogGKR only tests stuff if LEO or military is interested in it, and a .22mag isn't going to be on that list.

FWIW: I had a Ruger Single Six in .22 Mag that I fired some of the old Gold Dot loads from.... NONE of them expanded in water (or other various things I shot with them). I was very unimpressed at the time.  It had a 5.5" or 6" barrel. Not the same load as the "new" .22 Mag Short Barrel stuff...

CCI Maxi-Mags, and the 30gr Federal JHP did do a number on jackrabbits. Wouldn't use them for self defense though. I doubt they'd make 12"...

If I was going to pack a mousegun like that.. I'd stick to FMJ or similar. Maybe one of the semi-jacket loads like the old Winchester 40gr JHP.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:37:45 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

To Speer's defense, I don't believe anyone has tested any of this load in gel. .22 WMR has no problems penetrating 12+" from even a snubbie. It would be interesting to see if Doc will test them.

Not going to happen. Gelatin testing is time consuming and expensive; DogGKR only tests stuff if LEO or military is interested in it, and a .22mag isn't going to be on that list.

FWIW: I had a Ruger Single Six in .22 Mag that I fired some of the old Gold Dot loads from.... NONE of them expanded in water (or other various things I shot with them). I was very unimpressed at the time. It had a 5.5" or 6" barrel. Not the same load as the "new" .22 Mag Short Barrel stuff...

CCI Maxi-Mags, and the 30gr Federal JHP did do a number on jackrabbits. Wouldn't use them for self defense though. I doubt they'd make 12"...

If I was going to pack a mousegun like that.. I'd stick to FMJ or similar. Maybe one of the semi-jacket loads like the old Winchester 40gr JHP.

Did speer ever make a Gold Dot in .22WMR before the short barrel loading they just came out with? I've never see any mention of it.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:38:38 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

To Speer's defense, I don't believe anyone has tested any of this load in gel. .22 WMR has no problems penetrating 12+" from even a snubbie. It would be interesting to see if Doc will test them.

Guess we'll have to get the shadetre ballistic guys on youtube to test it :\

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:42:14 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Did speer ever make a Gold Dot in .22WMR before the short barrel loading they just came out with? I've never see any mention of it.

They did. It was a 50 grain bullet.  I can't find a pic or link, but it is mentioned in a few places if you google search for it. I never did get any to expand when fired from my Single Six.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top