Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2009 8:39:49 PM EDT
I have been thinking about buying a GSG1911 when they come out. I have also been considering buying a conversion unit and building up a 1911 frame (which I would in the future put a .45 upper on eventually). Right now, the price-point would probably end up being pretty similar. If I go the conversion unit route, I will probably go with a Ceiner (no, I don't intend on buying one from him- just one that he made). Will the JAC kits work wih any non-JAC magazines (ie- Kimber)? I recally reading somewhere that Kimber magazines were compatible with JAC kits. Is that true? Other than the color, is there any difference between Kimber's grey .17HM2 magazines and the .22LR magazines?

And, before anyone suggests it:
-I don't want a Ruger 22/45.
-I don't want a cadillac conversion.
Link Posted: 10/24/2009 10:48:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I have tried fitting the Kimber mags to my Ciner kit. But havent shot any.  It does fit and locks into place.

afa the 17/22 mags, im not sure about if they are the same or not.

just an fyi, you can get 10+ round mags from ciner now.

also, fwiw, the GSG1911, i would do a "wait n see" since its new and chances are some issues maybe there.  of couse you could aways be one of the testers to find out.

Link Posted: 10/25/2009 1:01:26 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I have tried fitting the Kimber mags to my Ciner kit. But havent shot any.  It does fit and locks into place.

afa the 17/22 mags, im not sure about if they are the same or not.

just an fyi, you can get 10+ round mags from ciner now.

also, fwiw, the GSG1911, i would do a "wait n see" since its new and chances are some issues maybe there.  of couse you could aways be one of the testers to find out.
Kimber mags function fine in the Ciener conversion. I have a Kimber conversion and my BIL has the Ciener. We tried one of my Kimber mags and it fed flawlessly. He must have put 200 shots through it using the Kimber mag.

FWIW, I remember reading that Ciener used to make them for Kimber. Supposedly they started making their own and didn't change much.

Also, a member of another forum I spoke to told me he was able to fit more than ten rounds in the Kimber mags by trimming the follower and spring guide. I haven't tried that yet.

Link Posted: 10/25/2009 6:32:01 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

...also, fwiw, the GSG1911, i would do a "wait n see" since its new and chances are some issues maybe there.  of couse you could aways be one of the testers to find out.

I agree. Good advice !

Link Posted: 10/25/2009 6:57:26 AM EDT
[#4]
get the tac sol kit
Link Posted: 10/25/2009 8:36:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Just get a Kimber Kit.  Not to start a flame war, but JAC has had customer service issues.  I have had my Kimber for several years now.  Bought it off the EE here, and have nothing but great success.  It is a great training tool.  Also if you take out the spring plug from a kimber magazine, and run just the spring inside the mag against the mag base, (they should be tight enough that the spring plug is not needed) you can get 16 rounds that feed reliably.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/25/2009 9:01:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Just get a Kimber Kit. Not to start a flame war, but JAC has had customer service issues. I have had my Kimber for several years now. Bought it off the EE here, and have nothing but great success. It is a great training tool. Also if you take out the spring plug from a kimber magazine, and run just the spring inside the mag against the mag base, (they should be tight enough that the spring plug is not needed) you can get 16 rounds that feed reliably. YMMV.

Good to hear that the Kimber is doing well for you. I've been thinking about getting one for the Desert Warrior, so I can have two kids shooting .22 1911s at the same time. I was in Champion Arms Saturday afternoon and saw that they had a few in stock.

I agree with the statement you made about training, too.

In the mean time, I've had a ball with the Colt Conversion Unit that I put on my series 80 Combat Elite.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 1:47:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Random thoughts:

The Kimber kit has issues with standard velocity ammo.  No big deal if you are just treating this as a "training tool".  Big deal if it's going to be a target gun.  Real big deal for my boss who has 10K rounds of Remington match (he's a competitor) that won't cycle his Kimber conversion.

The Marvel unit supposedly works fine with all ammo. No personal experience there.

As I recall the GSG 1911 is supposed to retail out at about $50 more than the Kimber kit.  Personally, I'd rather have a whole gun for a few dollars more.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:20:20 PM EDT
[#8]
TAC SOL KIT!!
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:16:37 PM EDT
[#9]
GSG has had a lot of breakage with the GSG-5 so I would be cautious with their products.  My local gun shop has the Kimber kits for $280.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 1:47:16 AM EDT
[#10]
There is another option...  Chiappa 1911-22, I paid 299.00 for mine and have already started tricking it out, it feels just like my carry gun now!
I have over 5000 rds with this pistol and it gets better with every shot!

http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu297/nitergr/1911c.jpg

http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu297/nitergr/1911a.jpg

http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu297/nitergr/1911b.jpg
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:37:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Or the TAC SOL KIT!!

Seriously.. It looks like the best one made out of the bunch.

Are they the red headed step child or something?
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:29:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

...also, fwiw, the GSG1911, i would do a "wait n see" since its new and chances are some issues maybe there.  of couse you could aways be one of the testers to find out.

I agree. Good advice !  

+1
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:10:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Or the TAC SOL KIT!!

Seriously.. It looks like the best one made out of the bunch.

Are they the red headed step child or something?

For the price they better be damn good..they seem to go for about$400+
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:35:38 PM EDT
[#14]
They are worth every penny.  After screwing around with a Ciener kit and a Kimber dedicated 22  I couldn't stand the aluminun slides, so I bought a Tac Sol.  Should have bought one first.  Paid $380 for it.  Has the same weight as my 1911 and I have yet to have a malfunction.  Now I am now building a dedicated frame for it.   Send the extra coin and you will have it forever.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top