Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/28/2011 9:34:07 AM EDT
...Do you carry a spare mag?

I'll be carrying a G19 whenever I get my CWP, so I'm just curious whether people personally feel 16 rounds of good 9mm defense ammo is sufficient for most situations.  At this time, I don't see myself carrying a spare mag.  Bad idea, or the norm?

Link Posted: 2/28/2011 9:43:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes.

Malfunction drills.
Link Posted: 2/28/2011 9:43:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Bad idea, mag malfunctions really suck when SHTF, just man up and carry a spare 19 mag in your pocket.
Link Posted: 2/28/2011 10:07:43 AM EDT
[#3]
a high % of failures are magazine related = 2 is 1, 1 is none.
Link Posted: 2/28/2011 10:13:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Normally I carry 8+1 & 8. But if I am going to be far away from home, I will carry 18+1 and 18, and a box of (50) in my vehicle. Would rather carry too much ammo than not enough.
Link Posted: 2/28/2011 10:26:16 AM EDT
[#5]
it has more to do with malfunctions than the number of rounds
Link Posted: 2/28/2011 10:51:30 AM EDT
[#6]
You are new to this so I will just tell you:

Always carry a spare mag.

Why? Mags fail. Mags can be ejected.

You are on a road trip. 8 hours sitting and climbing in and out of gas stations and tourist spots.... You get to the motel, family is settled in... You start to get undressed. Gun in the holster feels a little light as you lay it in the nightstand drawer near your OC and flash light.....The fucking mag is not in my pistol??????
WTF?  You go out to the car... It's down between the bucket seats..... It must have released when you leaned back hard to get the mountain dew out of the cooler.....

Damn..... Glad I was packing my spare mag.... Knife, OC, and flashlight....

You can count on
Murphy to show up...... Every fuckintime.

Always carry chambered.

Buy a good IWB holster  

Buy clothing to allow for a gun.
Link Posted: 2/28/2011 10:51:43 AM EDT
[#7]
I carry a spare G17 mag in my pocket and depending on how the area I'm passing through or driving to is, a S&W 642 and a speed strip for that too.
Link Posted: 2/28/2011 10:53:06 AM EDT
[#8]
When I carried my G19, I did carry a spare mag about 80% of the time.  Times I did not were mostly driving, where I had a spare within reach or going to see family, where I wouldnt need a spare usually, they had some sitting around.
Link Posted: 2/28/2011 12:35:23 PM EDT
[#9]
As others have already stated, your magazine is the weakest link in your CCW system if you carry an semi auto and is the root of many malfuntions that are most easily/quickest/only resolved by having a new magazine. Carry a spare.
Link Posted: 2/28/2011 1:09:59 PM EDT
[#10]
I almost always carry an extra g17 mag for my g19.  No one ever complained they brought too much ammo!

Link Posted: 2/28/2011 2:37:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Great info guys, thanks.

So do you guys just carry your spare in your pocket or in a mag holster?  I remember watching a vid on YouTube and a guy found some sort of belt-mounted knife/multi-tool pouch that fit a spare G26 mag perfectly, and it mounted to the belt horizontally, not taking up a whole lot of space.  I'm wondering if I can get something similar for a 15 round G19 mag, or if a G19 mag mounted horizontally on a belt would be too big.
Link Posted: 2/28/2011 3:23:50 PM EDT
[#12]
If you can find a pair of pants that can hold an extra mag that might be a good idea for times when you cannot carry can extra mag in a magazine holder.
I personal think the best way to carry an extra mag or two would be in a holder but sometimes you can’t.
Link Posted: 2/28/2011 3:23:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Of course you received good answers here. Carry a reload.
I end up with a spare in the console of the truck, the day-pack, bedstand, internet commando corner, in addition to one that's carried. All the spares are G17 mags and the gun could be a 26 or 19 depending on day. Carry used to be an old nylon multi-tool pouch when I knew where it was. for now it's a pocket.
Statistics show that if you use a gun you may very well lose count of the # of shots fired. A reload  and reloading / clearing practice is a good idea.

-JC
Link Posted: 2/28/2011 3:34:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Extra rounds is the second reason for why I carry a spare mag.
Link Posted: 2/28/2011 3:54:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
it has more to do with malfunctions than the number of rounds

+1
Link Posted: 2/28/2011 4:15:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Great info guys, thanks.

So do you guys just carry your spare in your pocket or in a mag holster?  I remember watching a vid on YouTube and a guy found some sort of belt-mounted knife/multi-tool pouch that fit a spare G26 mag perfectly, and it mounted to the belt horizontally, not taking up a whole lot of space.  I'm wondering if I can get something similar for a 15 round G19 mag, or if a G19 mag mounted horizontally on a belt would be too big.

Pocket for now. I had a kydex single pouch on order but I ran out of money and he sold it to someone else

It works fine and is really no slower than my double kydex pouch. I always keep it oriented the same way (bullets forward and down), behind my cell phone.
Link Posted: 2/28/2011 4:32:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Always carry a spare. Mags are meant to be replaced and they can and do fail.
Link Posted: 2/28/2011 4:49:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Great info guys, thanks.

I also carry a spare magazine horizontally  in a multi tool pouch on my weak side.

It works well for me, I find it a comfortable and concealable way to carry the magazine, whether or not my shirt is tucked although it almost always is untucked.

There better tactical ways to carry a spare magazine than horizontally on the belt in an enclosed pouch,  but with the tool pouches at least I can carry a spare magazine 100% of the time and I can do a reload fairly quickly.

I have one pouch for my daily carry, the full-size M&P .40 and another smaller one to accommodate the magazine for my occasional carry an M&P 9c.

Link Posted: 2/28/2011 5:15:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Great info guys, thanks.

I also carry a spare magazine horizontally  in a multi tool pouch on my weak side.

It works well for me, I find it a comfortable and concealable way to carry the magazine, whether or not my shirt is tucked although it almost always is untucked.

There better tactical ways to carry a spare magazine than horizontally on the belt in an enclosed pouch,  but with the tool pouches at least I can carry a spare magazine 100% of the time and I can do a reload fairly quickly.

I have one pouch for my daily carry, the full-size M&P .40 and another smaller one to accommodate the magazine for my occasional carry an M&P 9c.

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/237/img1195a.jpg

Yep, that's the same type of pouch the guy in the video I referred to used.

I just remembered, I got a free double-mag pouch with a random order from CDNN awhile ago.  I'm gonna have to see if I can find it and see if it can be modded to work on a belt.
Link Posted: 2/28/2011 5:48:32 PM EDT
[#20]
I hardly ever carry a spare mag but I'm just crazy like that

It's not that I don't think it's a good idea, but rather a comfort/convenience thing.

I don't recommend NOT carrying a spare if you are willing / able to.

The way I see it is this.  You have a Glock 19, practically the gold standard of reliability.  The likelyhood of needing to deploy it is very slim.  Multiply those odds by the likelyhood that 15 rounds won't be sufficient.  Multiply those odds by the likelyhood that you'll have a malfunction.  I realize that this isn't the actual way to calculate your odds but my point is that FOR ME, I feel the odds are in my favor.  Nothing in life is guaranteed.

Again, I don't recommend NOT carrying a spare if you are willing / able to.
Link Posted: 2/28/2011 5:55:46 PM EDT
[#21]
yes. its about malfunctions, not just "enough" ammo.
Link Posted: 2/28/2011 6:06:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Yeah, I carry my M&P9c with 2 12 round mags.  So that would total 25 rounds with 12+1 in the gun.  You can never have enough.
Link Posted: 2/28/2011 6:25:58 PM EDT
[#23]
To those of you that just toss a spare mag in your pocket... how often do you find yourself needing to clean the pocket lint and other crud out of it?  Or do you keep it in some sort of pouch while in your pocket?

Link Posted: 2/28/2011 6:37:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Yes.

Malfunction drills.

This, I typically carry two spares, a BUG as well
Link Posted: 2/28/2011 7:01:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Extra rounds is the second reason for why I carry a spare mag.

Yep.  Never underestimate the power of panic.  When you are scared that you are about to die and want the Bad Things to stop Right Now, it is real easy to fire a lot more times than you would think.
Link Posted: 2/28/2011 7:32:23 PM EDT
[#26]
I never carry a spare magazine

But that probably because I can't find one for my colt detective special
Link Posted: 2/28/2011 8:02:31 PM EDT
[#27]
I carry a G27 and a spare mag

1st magazine has an extension so it has 10 rounds and the other has 9.

Link Posted: 2/28/2011 9:00:34 PM EDT
[#28]
I try to carry 2 Glock 17 round magazines when possible to back up my Glock 19.  Generally I use a double mag pouch to do so.
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 6:51:56 AM EDT
[#29]
I carry my HK USP 9 with 3 extra mags.
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 8:41:38 AM EDT
[#30]
You never know what may happen...perhaps the day you get into a gunfight is the one day that your mag release gets bumped releasing your mag skidding across the floor when you draw your gun.  Make your ONE shot count, in that case...
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 8:42:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
You never know what may happen...perhaps the day you get into a gunfight is the one day that your mag release gets bumped releasing your mag skidding across the floor when you draw your gun.  Make your ONE shot count, in that case...

but, mcnielsen, that has NEVER happened before...
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 8:44:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Yes.

Malfunction drills.

This..

Link Posted: 3/1/2011 1:42:10 PM EDT
[#33]
2 is better than 1
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 2:05:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Yes always carry a spare mag.
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 4:23:27 PM EDT
[#35]
No.

I simply don't expect to have enough time to clear a malfunction before getting shot/stabbed/KO'ed.

This is why I destroy magazines that jam on me.
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 5:18:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
No.

I simply don't expect to have enough time to clear a malfunction before getting shot/stabbed/KO'ed.

This is why I destroy magazines that jam on me.

So, you simply give up the fight and expect to be killed?  Nice.
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 5:24:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

It's not that I don't think it's a good idea, but rather a comfort/convenience thing.

The way I see it is this.  You have a Glock 19, practically the gold standard of reliability.  The likelyhood of needing to deploy it is very slim.  Multiply those odds by the likelyhood that 15 rounds won't be sufficient.  Multiply those odds by the likelyhood that you'll have a malfunction.  I realize that this isn't the actual way to calculate your odds but my point is that FOR ME, I feel the odds are in my favor.  Nothing in life is guaranteed.

I couldnt have said it better.
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 6:14:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I couldnt have said it better.

Given all of that regardless of the mythical reliability of the equipment of whatever brand; individuals have been known to unintentionally eject their magazine during a fight and magazines are the weakest link in the equipment chain.

IMO; it behooves everyone who carries a pistol to find a way to carry that additional magazine.

I forget who first said it; but nobody ever died in a gunfight for having additional ammunition and an extra magazine, but there are plenty who died for not having it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 6:19:07 AM EDT
[#39]
I religiously carry a spare mag for my PM9 in my weak side back pocket next to my wallet.
I carry my Kahr in my right front pocket in a nemesis holster.
That's 14 total rounds. I plan on making every one count.
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 6:52:45 AM EDT
[#40]
I don't care what you carry, but I sure carry at least one spare magazine!

Murphy always has a way of finding me and reminding me of his law!
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 8:39:48 AM EDT
[#41]
A single extra mag? I carry 3 extra mags when I carry my 1911's

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 9:03:36 AM EDT
[#42]
14+1 45 in the gun
2 x 14 round spare mags
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 9:07:27 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Yes.

Malfunction drills.

+1

Link Posted: 3/2/2011 9:10:29 AM EDT
[#44]
I actually carry two guns. My primary with two extra magazines, and my backup with one extra magazine. It sounds like a lot, but it really isn't once you get used to it.

Link Posted: 3/2/2011 9:28:44 AM EDT
[#45]
I used to carry two spare mags when I carried my 1911. Now I carry an XDm9 so it's 20 in the gun and 19 in my pocket. There's really no disadvantage to carrying one spare mag.
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 9:29:05 AM EDT
[#46]
I think this thread needs more "magazine malfunction" replies in it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 9:51:04 AM EDT
[#47]
spare mag in belt mounted pouch

you will go back to your training (if you train)

Link Posted: 3/2/2011 9:59:06 AM EDT
[#48]
ok counter point:

I NEVER carry a spare, I do have two in the map pocket of my car, a 10 rd and a 13 for my carry G30.

Yes malfunctions can happen..... test, test, test, train, train train.... my carry mag is rock solid. That's how I roll.
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 12:47:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
ok counter point:

I NEVER carry a spare, I do have two in the map pocket of my car, a 10 rd and a 13 for my carry G30.

Yes malfunctions can happen..... test, test, test, train, train train.... my carry mag is rock solid. That's how I roll.

If I'm in my vehicle I plan on using "it" as a weapon if its a viable alternative to drawing a handgun. Mr. Carjacker had better not put himself in a position where I can put him under the truck...

Link Posted: 3/2/2011 6:11:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Either a spare mag or BUG.

Drill, drill, drill... fun while watching tv.  - Drives wife nuts....   She laughs at me though when I catch the edge of my hand slapin it home.

P.S.  Empty the gun first... No sense destroying the SONY.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top