Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2005 2:47:16 PM EDT
I own a pre 70 series Colt Government Model, blue commercial.  I was considering selling it and using the proceeds towards the purchase of a Wilson CQB.  Having read some posts around here and elsewhere, I'm now considering sending my Colt to Yost-Bonitz for the 1*Enhanced package, plus some fitting of the slide to the frame.  

The out of pocket dollars for either option are very close to the same.  Sooo, if it were your choice, which would you go for?  Care to share why?

If it matters, this gun will end up my "under the pillow" piece.  It will probably be carried from time to time, but I already have a daily carry piece.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:23:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I would opt for the Yost-Bonitz Colt.  I have a Colt done by them and their work is top notch.  I personally like the idea of one person working on my gun from start to finish.  I like the idea of a true custom rather than a semi-custom that costs about the same money.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:20:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Depending on what year and condition your pre 70 series colt is.....

I think I would keep the colt as is, and buy a SA GI and send it to Yo-Bo.

Just my personal .02  
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:41:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:31:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Yo-Bo hands down!
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:41:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:06:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Between the two choices you listed I would take the 1* every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

However, if the Commercial Colt were my gun and I were considering having it built into a custom piece I would probably go a bit further than just a 1* Enhanced or even the 1* Elite.

Now don’t get me wrong I’ve nothing against the 1* series and I have said many times that I believe they are the current best deal in custom pistols. But, IMO a Commercial Colt, with its traditional roll-marks and classic Colt styling, deserves to be built into something more... something special. I do understand that often times this is easier said than done and budget limitations can determine quite a bit but a “C” stamped Commercial Colt is a rare commodity and even more rare is one where the owner is willing to have it “cut up”. My thinking is to take this already rare bird and make it into something that ones children and grand children can marvel over for years to come. Build it into an heirloom grade gun, a “signature grade” if you will, and leave no stone unturned. Make it into your dream pistol and then spend the rest of your life trying to wear it out. Otherwise you may as well just build the 1* on a Springfield or S80 Colt and save the Commercial for something really special.

Big +1

If you can afford it have Ted and his crew turn it in to a "full house" custom. Ted is very helpful and personable. Call him and discuss what you'd like to do, plus ask for his suggestions. If money and time were no object I'd send it to Ted and simply tell him to really have at it and surprise you. Just pick the finish you want and leave the rest up to his skill and imagination.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:46:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Wow, what a great position to be in, I envy you!  Having said that, I agree 100% with AJohnston that the Commercial should be saved for something special.  That may mean something different to you, but to me I do think this gun calls for signature grade treatment.  I have a 1* Elite and it has totally exceeded my expectations!  But it would be a bit of a waste to use a rare Colt as the base gun for what's considered to be a "workhorse" if you will.  

Do call Ted at Yo-Bo, it's actually true that he may be the nicest guy in the world, and if you don't get Ted they are all equally helpful.

Have you visited 1911forum.com?  There are threads that mirror many of the issues in this discussion over there.  There's a fellow who posts there from adcoarms and carries Wilson, Rock River & Baer who recommends Yo-Bo's 1* and other products over those he stocks.  His main reason is attention to detail, finish work and customer service.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:42:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Another great place for some info is Louder Than Words.  Ted posts there from time to time.  You can talk to him there and get the opinion of some of the other Yo-Bo staff and top gun smiths.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 11:22:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Send it to Yo-Bo.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:19:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I just picked up my YoBo Colt Commercial today. It beautiful. Search my posts in this forum for a bunch of pics.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 10:32:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Yo-Bo *1!!!
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 10:45:12 PM EDT
[#12]
I wouldn't put 1* markings or novaks on a Colt Commercial. I'd put Heinies on it, and no markings, and a nice blued finish.

If you still want to sell the Colt, send me some pics, I've always wanted a pair....
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:53:44 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I wouldn't put 1* markings or novaks on a Colt Commercial. I'd put Heinies on it, and no markings, and a nice blued finish.

If you still want to sell the Colt, send me some pics, I've always wanted a pair....

They actually CAN'T put the 1* logo on if it's not wearing Novak sights (I asked Ted about a 1* with Heinie's and it's part of the "agreement" with whoever coined the 1* logo.  1* MUST have Novak sights...go figure).  I'd do the same thing as you though.  Simple, clean.

R
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:26:10 AM EDT
[#14]
You know, it's funny how many people say my colt is something rare and special.  That may be true, but what I have found it to definitely not be, is sale-able.  I've been trying to get $800 for it for a month now and can't even get a "best offer".  The price must be too high.  

The idea of keeping it and having it spiffed up does have considerable appeal as this gun already has a tiny bit of sentimental value to me.  Maybe I'll just leave it in the safe until such time as finances allow me to fool with it.

Thanks for all the input on Yo-Bo.  I do have another project in the works, and hearing more good reports about them just builds my confidence.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:54:49 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They actually CAN'T put the 1* logo on if it's not wearing Novak sights (I asked Ted about a 1* with Heinie's and it's part of the "agreement" with whoever coined the 1* logo.  1* MUST have Novak sights...go figure).  I'd do the same thing as you though.  Simple, clean.

R

That I knew. The guy is Gary Paul Johnston, and the big reason I wouldn't do a 1* is because I prefer Heinies. My brother has a Springfield in there for everything in the 1* Enhanced package, but with Heinies instead of Novaks, no markings and a stainless barrel.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:56:01 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Send it to Yo-Bo.

+900
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top