Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/27/2013 9:26:23 PM EDT
I have a new XDs 9mm and am experiencing off center light primer strikes. I have shot 600 rds through the pistol and have had at least 16-18 off center light primer strikes.  100 rds 124gr FMJ Fed American Eagle, 100 rds 124gr FMJ S&B, 200 rds 124gr FMJ Aguila, 100 rds 124gr FMJ Freedom Munitions, 100 rds 115gr FMJ Winchester whitebox.

This happens SOMETIMES when I fire a round, hold back the trigger, then very slowly release the trigger to find the exact point of the trigger reset, feel and hear the trigger reset, and then pull the trigger again which sometimes results with off center light primer strikes on the bullet primer. I did clean and lube the pistol before firing the 1st round, @ 200rds, and @ 400rds. I did lube the rails, exterior barrel and metal contact points. At the 400 rd cleaning i cleaned the striker channel and inspected the striker.  The striker does not look right at all and I circled it in red on one of the pictures.  It seems to be deformed/damaged onto one side from repeated impacts during firing.  

During my last range test, i noticed the XDs was not going into battery fully during the light primer strikes.  And at other times times it didn’t go into battery and took another 1-2 seconds for the slide to move forward on its own to get back into battery after a regular trigger pull and reset. This pistol is going back to SA for some troubleshooting.  I've read other forum postings about this issue.

Comments welcome if this is normal and if others have experienced this problem and what they did to resolve.

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:16:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't do anything but call Springfield,  they have some of the best customer service have them send you a label and send it to them.

eta: I haven't seen that with either the 9 or 45
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 12:02:06 AM EDT
[#2]
That is interesting.  When I was going to buy the 45 XDS I searched to see if people were having any problems

with their XDS. The light primer strikes and the slide not going fully into battery seems to have happened to a decent

amount of people with the 45 XDS.  I was hoping that this wouldn't be a problem with the 9mm

version. Hopefully it can be fixed. I would also call Springfield and see what they say.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 3:56:15 AM EDT
[#3]
You have to treat an XDs rough and then don't limp wrist it. The owner's manual says to lock the slide back. Insert a mag and hit the slide stop to load a round. This is against nearly everything we are taught and folks have a hard time accepting it.

I said that for the benefit of others who might read this. Your pistol obviously has some other issues. Springfield will fix them pronto but you will have to send it back to them. Call them up and watch them work. They are one of the best in the business dealing with problems.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 4:44:14 AM EDT
[#4]
That scar on your striker certainly looks like it may be the culprit of the light strikes.  Looks like it could possibly be deformed just enough to stop/slow down the striker right as it's about to make impact on the primer.  Contact SA and they'll make it right.  Keep us posted on the process.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 4:50:42 AM EDT
[#5]
The striker channel on the XDS should be completely clean with no oil or grease.  This has been proven to be a cause for lite strikes and that flattened spot on the firing pin is another issue that Springfield said is normal.

I can see the clean striker channel but NOT the damage to the firing pin as a normal condition.

A call to Springfield may get you a new striker.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 8:48:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The striker channel on the XDS should be completely clean with no oil or grease.  This has been proven to be a cause for lite strikes and that flattened spot on the firing pin is another issue that Springfield said is normal.

I can see the clean striker channel but NOT the damage to the firing pin as a normal condition.

A call to Springfield may get you a new striker.
View Quote

A new striker will probably just become deformed after a couple hundred rounds.With the round count the OP has through his pistol,the striker damage will not get any worse,just take the burrs off it and carry on ,it is not the cause of the light strikes.
The light strikes in the photo are being caused by a failure to return to battery,either caused by operator error,or an out of spec extractor.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top