Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2003 12:51:10 PM EDT
I have a Glock17 gen II.  I am considering selling it to buy an XD-9 Springfield.  Opinions please.

Thanks Jon
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 2:35:02 PM EDT
[#1]
A wise move!  I have both XD9 and XD40 and love both.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 3:48:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been handling the XD-9 for the past couple of days for my Illinois Firearms Authorization Card training in semi and revolver, and it has a lot of good points.  I don't like the sights or the trigger, but the grip safety and the ergonomics are good.  The mag release is pretty novel, and works from either the left or the right.  The rear of the striker is a cocking indicator, and the extractor is a chamber indicator.  Lots of good safeties that don't require anything other than gripping the pistol and pulling the trigger.

Again, trigger pull sucks, but that's been dry fire.  I'm going to the range for qualification with it tomorrow.  I'll give an after-action report then.

Semper Fi!
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 5:21:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Why are you doing that?
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 5:46:51 PM EDT
[#4]
you won't regret it!
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 3:34:21 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought a XD-40 about 6 mo ago.  I love it.  I like the trigger feel, it is safe, and the grip angle is perfect.  (same as a 1911)  Some things to think about are : light rail is a nice touch, the sights are the same sig, so any night sights you can find for a sig will work on a XD.  

I can not say enough good things about the XD.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 3:45:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 3:54:59 AM EDT
[#7]
If you look hard enough, you can find an XD9 for $399. Why not just save for a little while and then you can have both.

Personally though, if I HAD to only have one gun, it would be the XD. I enjoy shooting my XD far more than any of the Glocks.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 4:15:26 AM EDT
[#8]
There have been only a few pistols I've sold off and never regretted but it has happened. Two examples were my Walther PPKs and that Taurus Millennium. Some others where my SiGPros. But for the most part I really regret letting go of my K-22s, M-41, Security-six....

As said above, if you enjoy shooting the Glock hold on to it and then add the XD.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 5:51:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't have any real serious evaluation time on one of the XD pistols, but they APPEAR to be at least of the quality of a Glock. (Which aint saying a whole lot since they make Glocks for less than 50 bucks...)

I like their feel better as their grip design will not cut into my hands like a Glock does.

But all that said, I must say that the Glock 17 I owned was a very reliable pistol. It was loose as all get out, had a horrible trigger, sights that were almost useless and it grouped in feet (not inches) at 25 yards, but it did go bang when I pulled the trigger.

I don't know if the XD's are as reliable.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 8:24:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I have a Glock17 gen II.  I am considering selling it to buy an XD-9 Springfield.  

Shoot one first. The XD has a very long trigger reset compared to the Glocks. It's alot like shooting a double action revolver. Thats the only reason I didnt buy an XD.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 8:31:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
If you look hard enough, you can find an XD9 for $399.

in the compact version?!? if so, please share your 'sources'!!
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 12:08:23 AM EDT
[#12]
My neighbor was was a officer so he had his issued Glock, but when he shot my XD he went down and tradded it! He loves it and I bet you will too!
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 1:42:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 9:08:57 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a couple of Glocks and, now, a couple of XDs. With regard to fit, feel, and function, I believe the XD has a distinct advantage over the Glock. The Glock's grip angle is a lot different than the XD's angle, and the XD has a higher bore axis. When comparing specific model to another specific model, I think the advantage goes to the XD. However, the finish on the Glock is leagues above the XD.  I think Glock's chamber, which isn't fully supported, is more tolerant of "dirty" ammo, as well. Right now, I prefer the XD in the "usual" variants. They don't offer an XD 10mm, so I'll have to be satisfied with my G20.
http://www.hunt101.com/showgallery.php?cat=998&thumb=1&si=litework
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 9:21:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Remember whose design is being copied, and who is following the leader here.  S&W tried to copy Glock with their Sigma, which sucked ass.

The Croatians (now marketed by Springfield Armory) have a decent pistol in the XD.  However, it's not a Glock- immitation IS the most sincere form of flattery.  

Link Posted: 8/10/2003 10:12:52 AM EDT
[#16]
The XD isn't a Glock copy, though. With the exception of the similar triggers, I don't see very much that is similar about them.  The frame's are both polymer, but Glock copied H&K on that one. They are both striker fired, but the XD is single action.  I think this gun is more similar to the Sig pistol. And didn't Glock start putting a loaded chamber indicator on their pistols, after the XD became popular? Who's copying who here?
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 10:34:02 AM EDT
[#17]
I own both :)
 Do I like the XD?  Hell yes. would I buy another? Yes!  would I sell my Glock to buy one?...No!
 I carry the XD9 and use it for IDPA competition along with the wifes G17 from time to time. I use a Glock 21 for USPSA competition. I believe the XD is Almost equal to the Glock although they still have the extractor problem to work out still. The finish on the XD is horrible but does not affect function. I simply prefer the cant of the glock frame in my hand and Glock has a fsater trigger than the XD less creep for one thing. I like the grip safety on the XD and my son (9) has benn using it for matches at our local USPSA/IDPA club. The XD is THE best pistol for newbies because of the grip safeties and ergonomic design. It teaches proper grip each time or the gun won't fire. You cant even rack the slide. Also , like the Glock there are no manual safeties to worry about. Draw ,point and shoot. I also like the steel magazines and the ambi mag release button on the XD. Both guns have their advantages with no disadvantages (except for the extractor problem on the XD). It simply comes down to a matter of choice. Which gun feels better in your hand.
 I prefer Glocks, plain and simple. I own several handguns, Berretta92, Sig220 &226, XD9, Glocks 21&17,taurus, Para Ord. and just got a Kimber TLE. I like guns, I prefer Glocks, but my 2nd choice would be a SA/XD :)
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 12:02:38 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Adventure Outdoors
Smyrna, GA
They even had a used XD Subcompact for $379 (It is long gone, now)
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 12:04:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Just another 2 cents. I love the XD. I recently chose the XD40 over the Glock 23 and don't regret it one bit.
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 4:45:30 PM EDT
[#20]
No thanks, I'll be keeping all of my Glocks.  XD is a fad, just like the Sigma.  Give it a few years, and this fad will pass.

Parts availability, simplicity, and longevity are good reasons to keep your Glocks.  

I have no interest in joining the flavor of the month club for pistols- I need my AR dollars!  

Link Posted: 8/10/2003 6:09:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Isnt that what the 1911 guys said when Glock hit the market?
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 6:23:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Azgunnut, I went through this same thing in 1993, when I was trying to convince some Smith and Wesson owners on the merits of my Glock 23. To each his own. I like Glock, too.  I don't think we can compare the XD to the Sigma, which was an obvious copy of the Glock, and Glock had the lawsuit to prove it.  The Sigma never got the recognition of the HS2000/XD, either.  I believe one NRA publication awarded it handgun of the year. It's already been around a few years and is going to be around for a long time.
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 6:28:54 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Adventure Outdoors
Smyrna, GA
They even had a used XD Subcompact for $379 (It is long gone, now)

thanks! i actually did see a 2 or 3 at the gun show this wknd. for $410
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 7:58:14 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
No thanks, I'll be keeping all of my Glocks.  XD is a fad, just like the Sigma.  Give it a few years, and this fad will pass.

Parts availability, simplicity, and longevity are good reasons to keep your Glocks.  

I have no interest in joining the flavor of the month club for pistols- I need my AR dollars!  

I am a dissapator shooter too!  They call those a fad also.

Jon
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 11:24:11 PM EDT
[#25]
I have owned both and they are both great guns. However I sold my XD. I still have my Glock 17 which is the longest owned of all my weapons.
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 11:29:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Keep the Glock. Or give it to me??? Glock's will always be top of the line for reliability and getting the job done. Why would you trade a Glock for a Glock copycat?
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 6:06:55 AM EDT
[#27]
I don't know that I'd sell a G17 for an XD-9. The G17 is possibly the best model that Glock makes.  Plenty of hi-caps out there, too.  

But I did sell my G30 for an XD-40 Tactical.  Also had a G23 that I never liked, so it didn't stay in my collection more than a few years.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 2:39:02 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Keep the Glock. Or give it to me??? Glock's will always be top of the line for reliability and getting the job done. Why would you trade a Glock for a Glock copycat?

I love all this copycat stuff! Just because both guns have polymer frames doesnt mean their the same thing! I wish people would do a little research before they start screeming COPYCAT!! Just shows peoples ignorance I guess!
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 5:33:10 PM EDT
[#29]

I love all this coycat stuff!

I agree. There are a lot of things the XD has the Glock doesn't have:
-Grip safety
-Loaded chamber indicator
-Cocking indicator
-Different grip angle

Does this make a Glock a piece of crap? No. They are both fine guns but when I went to buy a handgun, the extra safety features, better comfort (IMO), and reviews made the difference. It was the gun for me, I just liked it better. Using the excuse that it is just a copycat is rediculous. It has two things in common, trigger safety and composite frame.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 6:37:43 PM EDT
[#30]
In addition to offspring's list, the Glock does not have...ambidextrous mag release, metal mags, lifetime warranty, and a fully supported chamber.

Actually, the new Glocks have a loaded chamber indicator. It's very subtle, which I prefer.

These guns are completely different in fit and function.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 7:14:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Sorry I've been away so long.  I've been extremely busy at work, with 70-80 hours per week being normal.

This past week, I had my Illinois state firearms qualification with the S&W Model 67-1 stainless .38S&W service revolver, and with the Springfield Armory XD-9.  I missed shooting clean with the revolver by 1/3 of a percent.  I shot 299 out of 300, with 60 rounds fired at a five point B-27 target.  Chain of fire was from the holster, with 12 rounds at 3 yards timed, crouch position; 2 strings of 12 rounds at 7 yards timed, standing; 12 rounds at 15 yards, slow fire, standing; and 12 rounds at 25 yards, slow fire, standing.  I had one called flier out at 12 o'clock in the 4 ring at 25 yards.  The target is a standard B-27, with the 7 ring being counted as 4 points, and the 8, 9, 10, and X rings being counted as 5.

I had never fired the XD-9 before, so I just got a 90% on that.  72% is passing.  Most of my misses were uncalled, but down at 7 o'clock.  At least I was consistent.  I hate the trigger, and the sights, plus not being able to rack the slide without having the grip safety depressed.  This messes with my "tap-rack-bang" technique, as I flip the weapon over in my hand as I rack, to let gravity assist the operation, and a couple of times the grip safety did not engage.

It should be noted that I was firing a new weapon, and it had less than 200 rounds through it when I fired it for the first time for qualification.  That being said, I had 3 failures to feed, and a double feed.  Lock slide to rear, strip mag, rack, rack, rack, new mag, rack, bang.  Irritating when you are being timed.  Of course, it was probably me not seating the mag correctly the first time, rather than a function of the weapon.

The bad thing is, I was tired as heck, as I was the assistant RO and had to shoot last after trying to teach people who had never fired a revolver or auto how to shoot.  That was EXTREMELY frustrating, and I got flashed with a muzzle at least 3 times by folks trying to holster or reload their weapon.  The ventilation at the range SUCKED, and it was hotter than blazes.  I could barely see my front sight, I had sweat running down into my eyes so much, and I could taste the lead in the air.  YUCK!

All things considered, I'd rather be in Columbia!(Apologies to W.C. Fields)
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 8:17:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Well I did it.  I now can honestly say 500 rounds later I like the XD-9 better.  The Glock is an excellent weapon, I just feel that I am better served by the Springfield.

Jon
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 8:40:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 7:14:37 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
There are a lot of things the XD has the Glock doesn't have:
-Loaded chamber indicator
-Cocking indicator

In regards to these two items, I just need to look at my Glock's trigger to know if it is loaded and cocked.  Or, better yet, I always assume it is loaded and cocked.  I am not a big fan of Glocks, but I do appreciate their simplicity.
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 9:24:18 AM EDT
[#35]
I never assume my gun is loaded. I never assume my gun is unloaded.  These indicators are there to make sure the gun doesn't "click" or do nothing when it should "bang." It isn't there to promote unsafe gun handling practices. I think it is a nice feature to have in the dark. A nice solid double check for a gun that is loaded and ready to go in your moment of need.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 1:21:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Got to try the 5 inch model in .40 cal today.  Now I want one of those too!

Jon
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 3:25:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Good Choice! hs
Ak_kraut
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top