Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/17/2015 3:14:39 PM EDT
Ernest Langdon is now carrying a Beretta PX4 and he's making a lot of people reconsider the ugly pistol.

I wrote this article about his PX4 Compact experience with his approval.  All praise goes to him.  I know he made me want to get one.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 3:51:03 PM EDT
[#1]
A CZ 75 or a clone, cocked & locked, sure.

ETA:  OP changed the tile on me.  No.  Don't like DA/SA decockers.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 3:58:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Lot of people carry Sig P22X pistols.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 4:11:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Compact.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 4:15:13 PM EDT
[#4]
As soon as I get a proper holster, I plan on carrying my CZ75 PCR
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 4:45:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Of course
IBTP
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 4:49:12 PM EDT
[#6]
No thanks.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 4:54:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm shooting a friend's PX4 Friday, we shall see.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 4:59:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I would like a Px4 Full Size slide on a Compact frame, or maybe the Full Size frame can be cut down to accept the Compact hammer frame.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 5:28:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would like a Px4 Full Size slide on a Compact frame, or maybe the Full Size frame can be cut down to accept the Compact hammer frame.
View Quote

Like a G17 cut down for G19 mags?
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 6:01:59 PM EDT
[#10]
^^^^This. I don't understand why manufacturers don't do this. Springfield did just the opposite, not sure why-full size grip and short slide
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 8:12:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a PX4 Storm Compact. It's a really nice little pistol. If I lived in a free state that allowed carry, I'd carry it. But I live in a shithole ban state, so I can't. It's quite a bit wider than my Glock and P2000, but it's a very good size.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 8:23:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have a PX4 Storm Compact. It's a really nice little pistol. If I lived in a free state that allowed carry, I'd carry it. But I live in a shithole ban state, so I can't. It's quite a bit wider than my Glock and P2000, but it's a very good size.
View Quote

There's more permits issued in Cali than many realize.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 8:39:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I would run one. It's the Indian, not the arrow.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 9:14:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I carry one.  I shaved down the gigantic safety levers and made it decocker only.  Now if I could just get the low profile slide stop.  Beretta is nuts what they charge.  I carry it IWB in a Remora.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 9:22:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In places where no one lives, yes. San Diego, where I live? No. Los Angeles? No. San Francisco? No. The only major county in this state I know of that issues ccws is Sacramento. If you live in the boonies, you can carry your PX4 Storm Compact. If you can find one used because they've never been legal to sell here.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 9:23:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

In places where no one lives, yes. San Diego, where I live? No. Los Angeles? No. San Francisco? No. The only major county in this state I know of that issues ccws is Sacramento. If you live in the boonies, you can carry your PX4 Storm Compact. If you can find one used because they've never been legal to sell here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That sucks.  I miss San Diego.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 9:24:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I carry one.  I shaved down the gigantic safety levers and made it decocker only.  Now if I could just get the low profile slide stop.  Beretta is nuts what they charge.  I carry it IWB in a Remora.
View Quote

I'm working on getting sources for the slide stop and other factory low profile stuff.  Feel free to remind me in a day or two.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 9:30:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly

I've like the G19L(?) since I saw one over 20 years ago visiting an old 82d buddy living in Hamilton, NJ.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 9:30:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Who's Ernest?

And no I wouldn't.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 10:21:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Who's Ernest?

And no I wouldn't.
View Quote

Come on man, read the article.

http://goo.gl/R7qUcm
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 8:10:01 AM EDT
[#21]
It wouldn't be the end of the world if I was issued one, but I wouldn't pick it if I had my say.  It's just a little heaver/taller/thicker than my G19 and I'm not too keen on DA/SA.  Plus I don't do slide-mounted controls, ever.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 8:20:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It wouldn't be the end of the world if I was issued one, but I wouldn't pick it if I had my say.  It's just a little heaver/taller/thicker than my G19 and I'm not too keen on DA/SA.  Plus I don't do slide-mounted controls, ever.
View Quote

I believe that most carrying this are not using the slide mounted  safety but rather relying upon the DA trigger pull and reholstering with a thumb on the hammer.  I will find out more when i shoot with Langdon later this week.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 9:15:37 AM EDT
[#23]

Yes.

The Px4 Storm compact recoils very flat. Flatter than the popular Glock's and M&P's. The Storm is a missed gem in the compact pistol community. There are not striker fired guns so the trigger doesn't feel like it. Beretta does have smooth double action triggers so, the weight doesn't result in terrible hits on target. I shoot this pistol clearly better than a Glock or M&P. This pistol just works for me. Be open minded to whats out there, you might be surprised that the groupthink mentality on gun forums is dramatically glib.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 9:29:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I'm working on getting sources for the slide stop and other factory low profile stuff.  Feel free to remind me in a day or two.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

that would be incredible.  There is no need for that to be ambi either IMHO.  I only need left side.  I know Brownells has the plug for around $8 or so
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 10:23:34 AM EDT
[#25]
I had a full size PX4 9mm "G" model. It was a great gun, excellent ergos, accurate, reliable and a really good DA/SA trigger. Better than my 92G has even with some Wolff spring. I do think the PX4 is pretty ugly even in the realm of ugly polymer framed handguns but function means more to me than asthetics. Unfortunately I happened on a CZ P-07 a short time after getting the PX4 and I personally preferred it's trigger, ergos and styling. So after some time in the safe the PX4 became trade fodder. Had it been the compact (mid-sized) model I might have held onto it longer or kept it all together. Still wondering if the Beretta APX is happening or not.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 10:29:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I believe that most carrying this are not using the slide mounted  safety but rather relying upon the DA trigger pull and reholstering with a thumb on the hammer.  I will find out more when i shoot with Langdon later this week.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's to be expected, but my issue is that I hate having levers and buttons exactly where my hand goes to rack the slide.  I find it annoying and don't want to run the risk of changing the condition of the weapon when I manipulate the slide.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 12:16:00 PM EDT
[#27]
How does the CZ P-07 stack up compared to the PX4, Glock 19 ect?
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 12:49:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That's to be expected, but my issue is that I hate having levers and buttons exactly where my hand goes to rack the slide.  I find it annoying and don't want to run the risk of changing the condition of the weapon when I manipulate the slide.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Makes sense.  I look forward to trying the PX4 out.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 12:51:43 PM EDT
[#29]
The P-07 is, in my book, is the Glock 19 of the DA/SA world. You really have to put one in your hand and shoot to it to appreciate how good of gun it really is.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 12:56:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The P-07 is, in my book, is the Glock 19 of the DA/SA world. You really have to put one in your hand and shoot to it to appreciate how good of gun it really is.
View Quote

I hope to try one out sooner or later.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 1:35:32 PM EDT
[#31]
PX4?

Only if the safety became a decocker only.

I'm a Sig-first guy.  Respect and appreciate other manufacturers (enjoy Glocks and my Shield, too!), but the safety is awkward and obtrusive.  In my opinion and with my personal preferences, of course.  Others may disagree, and that's ok.

ETA - the position of the safety/decokcer is also a bit awkward, in my opinion, being mounted up on the slide.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 2:38:34 PM EDT
[#32]
I put over 30,000 through my full size PX4 9mm before I sold it to a friend of mine that needed a pistol.  It never had any type of failure, ever.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 3:35:16 PM EDT
[#33]
I have the subcompact version. I like it ok. It's a little chunky for a subcompact but it shoots well. I'm still looking for the perfect sc 9mm double stack which is kinda like looking for a unicorn.

You can convert them to decock only and remove the safety feature. I don't carry with the safety on. Rack, decock, safety off with a thumb on the hammer during a reholster.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 4:31:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
PX4?

View Quote

This.  The shape of the PX4 levers is awkward to easily sweep off.  When I carried the 92 platform pistols, I was able to sweep my thumb forward and down which would move the safety forward.   It doesn't work the same way with the PX4.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 4:37:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

This.  The shape of the PX4 levers is awkward to easily sweep off.  When I carried the 92 platform pistols, I was able to sweep my thumb forward and down which would move the safety forward.   It doesn't work the same way with the PX4.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
PX4?

I agree. The safety/de-cocker isn't easily moved while doing over the top slide functions. It is quite stiff. One reason I like the Storm compact is the ambi-slide stop that as a lefty I can actually use.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 5:05:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Should have answers soon to your questions, gents.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 8:59:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Youtube-Making PX4 into decocker only-1 step further

watch this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ please

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 9:30:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Langdon is working on a factory model of his PX4s as described in the article.  Here's my training journal entry from another forum on my experiences yesterday:

So, I shot one of Langdon's PX4 Compacts today.

It carries better than the G19 but is very close to it in dimensions. Same capacity. I shot 270 rounds without fail. Gun was very dirty but well lubed with Lucas Gun Oil.

I had expected the initial DA trigger pull to kick my ass. It most certain did not. Just keep pulling, don't wait. Smooth steady pull. Use that long pull to stage the trigger during your press out. Decocking and then of course, resting my thumb on the hammer during reholstering AIWB was second nature quickly. Accuracy was great once I got used to the POI of the Trijicon HD sights. No malfunctions. Reloads were smooth, the slide lock lever is much easier to use than a Glock's (Vickers or factory extended). I have no conclusive evidence but the gun seems to not heat up during prolonged use as badly as a Glock does.

I would like one of these. I don't need one, though. I do think it would make me a better shooter with regards to managing the DA/SA pulls and getting off Glock after eight years of carrying and training with only 9mm Glocks.

They need some work out of the box as detailed in the article but damn.....it's fucking nice.

I worked on slow fire some but mainly draw from concealment, DA shot to circles on a Pistol-Training target.  My 115r LAX reloads shot very low with the Trijicon HDs.  Langdon advised that 147s shoot POA/POI at the 7 yard range I was shooting at.  I also worked on DA shot from concealment to one circle and SA shot to the next.  The DA/SA boogeyman is a myth.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 9:43:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:  The DA/SA boogeyman is a myth.
View Quote

Uh, no.  Lousy DA trigger pulls are still lousy DA trigger pulls.  You might have a decent one - there are still many DA/SA guns w/ lousy DA pulls.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 9:44:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Uh, no.  Lousy DA trigger pulls are still lousy DA trigger pulls.  You might have a decent one - there are still many DA/SA guns w/ lousy DA pulls.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  The DA/SA boogeyman is a myth.

Ok.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 10:59:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Carried one EDC for some time. Converted it to G-style decock-only, added Talon grip tape (factory grip is way too slick) and was eventually going to go w/the stealth levers.
Why am I not carrying it any longer? You lose (IMHO) a significant amount of bbl length compared to other pistols of that size and you're restricted to micro lights since the rail is so short.
Functionally, it was 100% and shot very well.
Am much happier w/my SIG P320 Compacts now.
Tomac
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:43:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reminded.  IM me
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:36:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Shoot my friends full size and like it. He doesn't clean it and it runs and run.

If the compact is as good sure and I'm not impressed by many handguns.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:01:42 PM EDT
[#44]
It seems like beretta has really been making a push lately to market the px4 again. Websites and forums and stuff. I've always liked them and would like to shoot one side by side with a grand power and p07.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:43:06 PM EDT
[#45]
I had a Px4 Subcompact and did have it in my carry rotation. I was a more novice shooter at the time and the DA gave me fits. I ended up selling it to fund another gun purchase. These days I shoot SIGs just fine, so I think if I went back to one, I'd do fine.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:49:27 PM EDT
[#46]
When the PX4 first came out I was really wanting one. Then I discovered it didn't use Beretta 92 mags and it sucked for me since I have a nice stash of them.

I'm a 92/96 fan along with S&W 3rd Gens but I do respect the PX4. it is a well thought out update of the Beretta 8xxx Cougar Series, which itself is an awesome design.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:52:51 PM EDT
[#47]
I think after the 9000 debacle, most folks aren't willing to give Beretta another chance with polymer.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:27:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
When the PX4 first came out I was really wanting one. Then I discovered it didn't use Beretta 92 mags and it sucked for me since I have a nice stash of them.

I'm a 92/96 fan along with S&W 3rd Gens but I do respect the PX4. it is a well thought out update of the Beretta 8xxx Cougar Series, which itself is an awesome design.
View Quote

This right here.

I like Beretta quite a bit, and their 92 series is my go-to service pistol. If the PX4 used 92 mags, it would be a no-brainer to buy a some PX4s to have around. They're cheaper, lighter, and I've heard the recoil impulse on them is awesome. But, I'm not particularly eager to stock another mag. I'm diversified enough at Beretta 92 mags, CZ 75 mags, and Glock 17 mags, and the CZ P-07 can use the CZ 75 mags, so that's that.

If they'd make a conversion or something to enable the PX4 to use 92 mags, that would be awesome.

I'd even consider buying a PX4 if it was REALLY cheap or if it came with a pile of mags at a very reasonable price. But as is, not so much.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:57:10 AM EDT
[#49]
it's a great gun. I would definitely trust it as a carry gun. I wouldn't carry it though as it just feels too fat to me.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:10:06 AM EDT
[#50]
I haven't shot the compact, but I do like the full size. It is a neat gun. I'd like one just as an example of the rotating barrel lockup.

Being able to use the same mags in a PCC and the way it breaks down are neat as well. Well thought out gun.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top