Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/19/2008 5:25:43 PM EDT
I got a box of wolf 230gr FMJ Steel case, and some CCI Blazer 230gr FMJ as well.  My Kimber is a Custom Covert II full size, Chip 8rnd mags,.  It was broken in per kimber instruction with standard 230 ball.  On top of break in I have fired all manner of shit through it.  But neither the Blazers or the Wolf would run.  The crazy thing is it was not one particular problem.  I had slides locking back half way through the mag, FTE's, stovepipes.  Pretty much every 1911 mal.  I switched to a box of magtech and it ran like a champ.  The wolf really ran bad and part of me expected that, but another thought my Kimber could take it.  Have other people experienced this or does my Kimber just not like this ammo.  I usually don’t shoot wolf but I got it cheap.

Sorry if this starts a argument
Link Posted: 6/19/2008 10:20:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Both of my Kimbers ran 100% with Wolf.   Maybe you got a bad batch?
Link Posted: 6/20/2008 2:31:20 AM EDT
[#2]
You could be right I had thought about that.  But the CCI too?
Link Posted: 6/22/2008 1:12:01 AM EDT
[#3]
My Custom Classic will eat anything feed to it. Except some early handloads that i didn't bother to check OAL. I've heard others say their Kimbers are sensitive to certain ammo types tho.

This probly didn't help any but I thought I would add my 2cents.
Link Posted: 6/25/2008 2:16:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I personally hate wolf and blazer ammo.  I usually shoot WWB 230g ball for target and use WWB 230 JHP for my carry ammo.  They both shoot fairly consistenly with each other.

Wolf and Blazer are both dirty and I hate the thought of completely stripping my 1911 after every session just because I shot cheap ammo.  To me its worth spending a little more on decent ammo and WWB uses Lake City brass.

YMMV

Link Posted: 7/6/2008 9:32:07 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Wolf and Blazer are both dirty and I hate the thought of completely stripping my 1911 after every session just because I shot cheap ammo.  To me its worth spending a little more on decent ammo and WWB uses Lake City brass.

YMMV

+1 -
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 7:42:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Wolf is the only ammo my Kimber wouldn't feed reliably, my Glock doesn't like it either.
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 7:24:55 AM EDT
[#7]
I’ve never shot wolf ammo because most ranges in my area don’t allow it, but I’ve had problems shooting CCI thru my Kimber in the form of multiple FTF’s.  I used CCI for the first hundred rounds thru my DW with many FTF’s, now I’m using Federal and don’t have that problem anymore.  Maybe it was the tight tolerances of the DW?

On the other hand I’ve shot CCI thru my Sig 1911 and my XD45 with absolutely no problems so far.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:54:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Wolf is shit, but what I've put through my Custom II ran fine.......dirty, though......

I don't like it 'cause I reload, so all those cases are useless to me.....and it's dirty, and the troubling reports of "bad batches" keep cropping up.....squibs, over-charges, etc.....
Link Posted: 7/28/2008 5:01:25 AM EDT
[#9]
My Custom II eats it but god is it dirty.
Link Posted: 7/30/2008 11:29:05 PM EDT
[#10]
thats funny i just got a pro covert II and my first 50 rounds were magtechs and the first two clips the first round failed to fire but then i cleaned it and oiled it ( i was told after every 50-100 rounds clean and oil for the first 1000-2000 rounds told that was kimbers break in and found other sites saying the same thing) but the 2nd set of 50 rounds was blazer and i did not have a single problem and i am using kimber 8rnd mags i guess guns are picky gun to gun on ammo my ar15 will take wolf ammo no problem but my dads hates it both are identical models and we use the same mags
Link Posted: 8/1/2008 7:50:13 PM EDT
[#11]
My 4" barreled Kimber chews through both Wolf and CCI with no problems at all.  Quite acceptable accuracy for cheap ammo too.  I personally have never had an issue with any of either, through any of my guns(including my AR).  

I would personally give Kimber a shout(first check that your shooting Wolf doesn't void your warranty) and see what they have to say.  Will probably tell you to shoot "better ammo".  If you know a good gunsmith that you trust, maybe give them a call and see if they have any solutions or can check the specs on your pistol.  

Good luck and safe shooting!
Link Posted: 8/3/2008 6:02:28 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Both of my Kimbers ran 100% with Wolf.    

+1
Link Posted: 8/5/2008 11:17:14 AM EDT
[#13]
My Ultra Carry II has ate everything I've put through it, including at least 500 rounds of Wolf and some 230 grain lead cast reloads.

Either a bad batch of both ammos you just happen to catch at the same time, or a pecularity of the gun.
Link Posted: 8/14/2008 6:02:21 PM EDT
[#14]
My first Kimber (a Custom Stainless II) ate everything and anything I fed it.

My new CDP (5") has only had 200 rounds of wolf so far, but had no problems. I finally have a variety of ammo standing by, but no time. I have confidence, though.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top