Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/13/2005 7:05:37 PM EDT
My friend and I have a ton of Wolf 45 ACP lying around which was originally intended as plinking ammo for a Llama 45 1911 clone we upgraded. That was until the retaining lug for the slide (?) basically broke off from the frame of the llama, rendering the firearm a $250 piece of wrought iron.

So the question which I am posing to y'all is: Will I in any way damage my most prized possession, my USP tactical 45 ACP with threaded barrel, by running the wolf ammo through it? I understand that the wolf ammo is a little dirty, and a little unreliable, but will I be in any way risking harm to the barrel, pin, or any other part by using this cheap ammo?

I don't care about having to use a little elbow grease to get all the little pieces of red sealant out of the crevices of the gun after firing. But I just want to know if any of you with much more experience than me have any ideas regarding putting the low quality wolf ammo through a very high quality gun.

Thanks!

Mike

michael.reichert@gmail.com
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:18:32 PM EDT
I've read other posts stating that USP45's jam hard on Wolf because the chamber is a bit tight. I don't own a USP, though...
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:26:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/14/2005 6:39:49 PM EDT by MissouriBob]
I wouldn't. Is it FMJ? If not, H&K recommends against it if I recall correctly. If it is the older coated Wolf ammo I wouldn't shoot that either.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:19:34 PM EDT
I had to buy another .45 so I could shoot the 990 rounds of Wolf I had bought. It only took ten rounds for me to figure out that my USP was NOT going to cooperate with the Wolf.

It is not a problem with the HK's. Although the HK chamber is a bit tighter than most (read "match"), I have never had a problem with any brass case manufacturer of ammo.

Some ass clown made a comment to me along the lines of, "If HK's are as good as they say, then it should fire any type of ammo." I just looked at him and said, "Well then if Mercedes makes such a smooth riding car, then does that mean I should be able to put square tires on it and it will still ride good"?

Point being: Wolf ammo is twice as bad as the worst brass cased ammo assembled on a Friday afternoon. If you can get it to work in your HK, it will not damage it. Just don't be supprised if it does'nt work though.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:28:55 PM EDT
I don't have a Tac but Wolf has always run fine in my USPF 45
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 1:13:48 AM EDT
CAUTION:HK firearms are designed to function with quality manufactured brass cased ammunition.Use of steel or aluminum cased cartridges is not recommended and could adversely affect safe and reliable functioning.For further information on ammunition selection, contact HK Customer Service at 703-450-1900

Out of my USP Owner manual..
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:22:12 PM EDT
In other words, thank for spending huge amounts of money on our merchandise, Please continue to spend huge amounts of money on ammo to feed this lovely device. No cheap ammo allowed.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:27:49 PM EDT
As tough as a USP is, I have a hard time believing that it would actually be damaged by Wolf ammo. I never tried Wolf in mine, so I can't comment on the reliability.

I personally think that shooting Wolf in an HK is kinda like putting a Hydrogen fuel cell engine in a Le Mans LMP1 racer, but to each his own
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:40:01 PM EDT
Good way to think of it... The price between wolf and good brass is not really that big, you buy the best gun and shoot the worst ammo???? What sense does that make, Wolf ammo 85.00 for 500, Federal American American Eagle 109.00 for 500. I want to drive that high performance sports car but I'm only going to put 87 octane in it..
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:55:10 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:51:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/24/2005 10:53:27 PM EDT by clubsoda22]

Originally Posted By newbe:
I had to buy another .45 so I could shoot the 990 rounds of Wolf I had bought. It only took ten rounds for me to figure out that my USP was NOT going to cooperate with the Wolf.

It is not a problem with the HK's. Although the HK chamber is a bit tighter than most (read "match"), I have never had a problem with any brass case manufacturer of ammo.

Some ass clown made a comment to me along the lines of, "If HK's are as good as they say, then it should fire any type of ammo." I just looked at him and said, "Well then if Mercedes makes such a smooth riding car, then does that mean I should be able to put square tires on it and it will still ride good"?

Point being: Wolf ammo is twice as bad as the worst brass cased ammo assembled on a Friday afternoon. If you can get it to work in your HK, it will not damage it. Just don't be supprised if it does'nt work though.

It's a valid argument, my glock feeds wolf all day long. It's my preferred practice round. The modern poly coated wolf is quality ammunition and any quality gun should feed it.

To correct your analogy, the only difference between your mercedes and my ford is you paid more, you have to buy premium gas and you wouldn't drive your mercedes through a mud pit because it's too pretty to get dirty.

Just kidding, i like my HK, just not as much as my glock. You buy expensive german hardware, expect it to have a uncomprimising palate and refuse to eat all but the finest ammunition. Don't like it? Buy a ford.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:06:51 AM EDT
Nearly all of the guns in the USP's class will shoot Wolf no problem. But, I guess that's the ammo's fault, yes?

I have run, not as practice but for my own curiosity, Wolf in Glocks, XD's, Beretta 92's, 1911's, on and on. No real problems, other than it's dirty.

But again, it's Wolf's fault the H&K's chamber is too tight.

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:51:00 PM EDT
I've fired wolf .40 though my HK. It had the occasional hiccup. Was good practice for malfunction clearence. Aside from a hard primer or two, no probs with wolf in my glocks.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:03:31 PM EDT
Wolf is harmful in any weapon in any caliber......My opinion.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:17:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By cdhicks99:
Wolf is harmful in any weapon in any caliber......My opinion.

You're right. After shooting 15,000 rounds in various guns over the years, I have a surplus of cash and that's harmful. I'm likely to go spend it on a new gun to tear up with more Wolf.

Jeesh, will the destruction ever end??

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:13:42 PM EDT
I have shot many thousands of rounds of Wolf ammo thru my AR-15's without any problems. But I won't shoot any thru my pistols. Wolf is steel case ammo. IMHO its harder on pistols.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:55:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 45ProCarry:
I have shot many thousands of rounds of Wolf ammo thru my AR-15's without any problems. But I won't shoot any thru my pistols. Wolf is steel case ammo. IMHO its harder on pistols.

How is WOLF ammo somehow magically harder on a pistol than anything else? I've shot WOLF .40 in my USP Compact and WOLF .45 in a genuine UMP-45 without issue.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:00:13 PM EDT
As an owner of several types and brands of pistols, I would be pretty pissed to find out that my handgun was non-functional with certain ammo. We all know that some pistols like some brands/loads better than others, but for it to completely not work with others....unsatisfactory. If my USP 40c didn't work with Wolf, I would most likely trade it in. If my Glock didn't work with Olympic....gone. Bottom line is, if I have to defend my life, or the life of others, my pistol better work with whatever I put in it. You never know what will be available to you in a given situation. And if Wolf will actually damage a gun more than Federal ammo will, that is one piece of shit I don't want. Manufacurer "RECOMENDATIONS" aside, I paid for it, I will shoot what I want. I use Winchester Ranger SXT's exclusively in all of my concealed carry guns, but when it comes time to hurt some paper....the cheaper the better. BTW, I am praying for the day FN comes out with a "cheap" 5.7x28mm round for my Five Seven. LOL!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:32:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Melvin_Johnson:

Originally Posted By 45ProCarry:

How is WOLF ammo somehow magically harder on a pistol than anything else? I've shot WOLF .40 in my USP Compact and WOLF .45 in a genuine UMP-45 without issue.

Shhhhh quit arguing with him. It's more Wolf for us if he doesn't shoot it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:10:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By fst96ss:
As an owner of several types and brands of pistols, I would be pretty pissed to find out that my handgun was non-functional with certain ammo. We all know that some pistols like some brands/loads better than others, but for it to completely not work with others....unsatisfactory. If my USP 40c didn't work with Wolf, I would most likely trade it in. If my Glock didn't work with Olympic....gone. Bottom line is, if I have to defend my life, or the life of others, my pistol better work with whatever I put in it. You never know what will be available to you in a given situation. And if Wolf will actually damage a gun more than Federal ammo will, that is one piece of shit I don't want. Manufacurer "RECOMENDATIONS" aside, I paid for it, I will shoot what I want. I use Winchester Ranger SXT's exclusively in all of my concealed carry guns, but when it comes time to hurt some paper....the cheaper the better. BTW, I am praying for the day FN comes out with a "cheap" 5.7x28mm round for my Five Seven. LOL!

Ya better get rid of that USP 40C quick cus it won't shoot that damn 9mm of .45 ammo and you said it should shoot what ever you put in it.. So just send it here I will get rid of it for you.. And well HK says don't shoot wolf... so better hurry.. Plus I could also use another HK..
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:20:10 PM EDT
I work for an agency that issues USP's. Our armorer specifically tells us not to practice with Wolf or Blazer as it will damage our weapons.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:25:18 PM EDT
I'm going to try to put the wolf ammo thing in a different light.

You buy a top of the line crate motor to drop into the uber-ride of your choice.

Assembly goes fantasticly.

You then find the cheapest gas on the face of the earth to go cruising with, despite hearing reports that it lacks the octaine needed to make the motor run to spec.

Does this make sense?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:30:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Rodent:
I work for an agency that issues USP's. Our armorer specifically tells us not to practice with Wolf or Blazer as it will damage our weapons.

from hk:

CAUTION:HK firearms are designed to function with quality manufactured brass cased ammunition.Use of steel or aluminum cased cartridges is not recommended and could adversely affect safe and reliable functioning.For further information on ammunition selection, contact HK Customer Service at 703-450-1900
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:32:10 PM EDT
It has been along time since I attempted to shoot Wolf in my USP 45, what I found was that some, like 4 or 5 or so in a box, was a little longer than standard cases. The extra length caused the case mouth to swage into the forcing cone. Once this happened the only way to clear it was a rod down the tube and push the round out. It's been years they may have fixed their QC issues, but the only pistols I will use wolf in are 9mm (had problems with failures to extract with 40 cal in both Glock and Sig).
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:47:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By tvarden:

Ya better get rid of that USP 40C quick cus it won't shoot that damn 9mm of .45 ammo and you said it should shoot what ever you put in it.. So just send it here I will get rid of it for you.. And well HK says don't shoot wolf... so better hurry.. Plus I could also use another HK..

I would get rid of it, but I like it.......and it shoots Wolf fine!!!
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:07:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By tvarden:

Originally Posted By Rodent:

from hk:

My agency only says we are allowed to fire ammunition provided by the agency in service weapons. Does that mean Speer or Hornady or WOLF ammo will damage my pistols? Also, what does your armourer or the HK rep. say about reloads?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:15:19 PM EDT
If your agency provides ammo, shoot that. Free is better than cheap.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:03:24 PM EDT
Unfortunately, my department can't keep up with my appetite for ammo!
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:43:38 PM EDT
Green Lacquer Wolf stuff jammed my USP .45 and I did not shoot in it while I shot Wolf in other hand guns with no problem.

But when the "poly" version came out , that issue is gone. No problem on the Tactical or the regular USP.

The "poly" version is the type you want to shoot but it is the Laquer Lacquer stuff, don't because it is not fun thing to see a jam like that. You will have press the slide against a string edge to get the case out.

I have no fear shooting the "poly" version though in any type of USP .45

My 2 bits on it.

This was with the .45 Ammo. My usp 9 had no issues on shooting the "old" type of wolf - never had a Jam. I just stayed away from shooting it after the .45 problem.

The "poly" case version of Wolf now if a good alternative source for plinking.

Top Top