Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2002 11:51:52 PM EDT
How come so few posts? Come on now, let's see some activity around here. How about each of you posting a picture of your S&W and telling us why you like it.

Limit: one model per thread. No model mixing allowed.

Seriously, I can talk all day about the older Smith's but I really need you good folks to bring me up to speed on the newer ones. For example, what are the thrird generation models and why are they great yet can't be given away.

Help. Please.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 3:57:25 AM EDT
[#1]
I think the S&W poitical deal has soured many on them.  Also anyone who's into their wheelguns just posts in the revlover forum.  Oddly enough I've owned most of their major versions of autos and don't own a one now.  I got rid of them all well before and political deal.  But what the heck, I think I can remember most of them.

My first was a 3906.  That's the steel frame 3rd gen 9mm single stack.  It had very little recoil and was heavy and big for concealed carry in FL where I lived.  I never bothered with the 5906 (double stack 9mil) because I figured it would pretty much be the same, only heavier.  The pistol shot very well.  It never jammed, and it was accurate.  I trade it for something I can't remember, but I don't remember it usually so it didn't make much of an impression.  It was just a gun with a wierd safety.

Ross
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 9:05:41 AM EDT
[#2]
The 3rd gen (4 digit model numbers) autos were substantially more reliable than most of the older ones.

I had a 5906 for years, before the CHL was started up here.  As a travel gun it was fine, but for concealed carry it was less than ideal.  

The double stack mag meant the gun was as thick as a 2x4, and though recoil was negligible, the slide was so big and heavy it slowed recovery and the follow-up shot.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 6:52:55 AM EDT
[#3]
The third generation of S&W semi-autos was introduced in 1990 by four digit numbered models. The third generation also introduced ambidextrous safety/decocker levers and
double action only and decocker only models. Other innovations were new chamberings (.40 S&W, 10mm auto and .45ACP) and new Novak lo-carry three dot combat sights. The three-piece grips were replaced by polymer, one piece wrap-around grips.

The 10mm auto pisols, built on large .45ACP frames, were adopted by FBI and some police departments, but didn't impress the market
and were discontinued from production in mid-1990s. The .40SW caliber line, on the other hand, was built on the 9mm frames, and is still in production.  Later, S&W improved the third generation with introduction of TSW (Tactical Smith&Wesson) modifications, that featured an accessory rail, mounted under the frame, ahead of the triggerguard.  

The key to third generation S&W model numbering is as follows:

First two digits - caliber and frame type (for 9mm only).
39xx - 9mm single stack magazines
59xx - 9mm double stack magazines
69xx - 9mm compact, double stack magazines
40xx - .40 S&W
10xx - 10mm auto
45xx - .45 ACP

Third digit - trigger type and frame size
xx4x - DAO
xx5x - DAO, compact
xx8x - DAO
xx2x - DA w decocker
xx3x - DA w decocker
xx7x - DA w decocker, compact
xx0x - DA
xx1x - DA, compact
xx6x - DA, large frame

Fourth digit - Frame material (most models had stainless steel slides)
xxx3 - Aluminium alloy frame
xxx6 - Stainless Steel frame  
xxx4 - blued or blackened frame & slide

[edited to fix typos]
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 11:56:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't have a pic available (I'm at work, shhhh), but I pulled my 646 out of the cabinet last night and cleaned it up a bit to take to the range. Haven't shot it in a while. It is a bit unusual, but I've been competitive with it in pin shoots. I do get a lot of questions, that's for sure.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 2:19:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I, too, am a Smith fan. So you want to talk one gun per post or thread. I tell mine, then you tell yours?

Okay, I have a model 25, 6 1/2 inch barrel, 45 ACP, pinned and recessed, the old smith bluing (rich), pair of c.1950's grips on it (checkered diamond target), presentation box, and all the tools and clips (full and half moon). Shoots like a dream, and NO IT IS NOT FOR SALE! (or trade)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top