Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
4/22/2019 5:32:20 PM
Posted: 8/17/2006 7:53:31 AM EDT
I am considering a Wilson Protector, an Ed Brown Special Forces, and a Les Baer Premier II. Is there a lick of difference between these 3 very fine gun makers? I have drooled after a Wison for 20 years, but Ed Brown is drawing my attention nowadays. Anybody have experience comparing the three?
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 8:24:28 AM EDT
There are differences, but they are more differences in style and features than quality. All are fine examples of a semi-custom 1911.

Just pick the one you like most and buy it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 1:21:29 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 1:43:34 PM EDT
I went through the same buying process just a few weeks ago. I do not think that you can hurt yourself with any of the pistols that you are looking at. May I make one suggestion? Please consider the GRP or Talon from Nighthawk Custom. I bought the Talon. I am a VERY happy camper.
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 3:05:00 PM EDT
All are very nice. If you can, see them in person.

Consider adding NHC to your list.

How much are you willing to spend?
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 3:28:38 PM EDT
Owned all 3.

I'd go with the Ed Brown if it was me choosing.

If NHC were officially thrown into the mix, i would go with the NHC. Just since I haven't owned one yet..
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 4:03:22 PM EDT
I have owned a Baer TRS, Wilson CQB and a Nighthawk Talon. The Talon was nice, but there were some issues with it that I was not happy with. Nighthawk probably would have fixed them but they would have replaced the frame. The Baer was great and should have kept it. That leaves the Wilson, my favorite 1911 in the stable. They just make a great 1911. The Talon had fancy serrations on the top of the slide and the rear of the slide, other than that it is nearly the same weapon as the CQB but costs around $400 more. Both have excellent customer service and I don't think you can go wrong but my money goes to Wilson. I want to try a Brown but all the complaints about the poor customer service kind of scares me off.
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 4:30:57 PM EDT
I went with:

Link Posted: 8/17/2006 5:06:20 PM EDT
I bought a Wilson CQB in January and haven't had any regrets to date. The Aesthertics of Ed Brown's pistols just don't do it for me (most are ugly or tacky IMO and that bobtail grip is facking sacralige).

Overlooking that, I understand Ed Brown makes great pistols.
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 5:27:34 PM EDT
So I am a little confused. How much better will YOU be able to shoot when using one of those than a Kimber or Springfield? I understand avoiding the rattle factor, but other than that......????????????????
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 6:30:41 PM EDT
Considering on the Springer I owned you could unlock the barrel with verry little thumb pressure.

A 1000 times more accurate.
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 6:44:42 PM EDT
Do I have to say it ???
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 7:06:57 PM EDT
I've got 2 Baer's, and a third arriving tomorrow or Sat, and i've got a CQB, and one you didn't list but worthy of mention, a Springfield Pro. I could go into long discussion about the merits of each, but it boils down to two things. Personal preference and value for the dollar. If you can't tell by my ownership ratio, I give Baer the nod. Dollar for dollar, you can't beat them. A Baer will run at least $100 to $200 less then the other while giving up nothing in quality, accuracy, or reliability. The Wilson gets the nod in aesthetic quality. It reminds me more of a Brown in that it gives a refined look and feel where as the Baer is all business and as tight as a drum rather then smooth and refined. The Pro is somewhere in the middle, refined and smooth but tight. Where it comes a little short is the value for the price costing towards the top end. My final endorsement comes this way. What do I carry when I get to decide what I want to carry? My Baer Custom Carry.

later,
AJ
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 3:41:49 AM EDT
Thanks Guys..my best friend just got a Baer....the slide rails on the frame were not polished, but other than that it was tight tight tight. Leaning towards a CQB, but the Special forces is cool too.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 4:57:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/18/2006 4:59:14 AM EDT by STEEL1212]

Originally Posted By Gregory_K:
Considering on the Springer I owned you could unlock the barrel with verry little thumb pressure.

What....you need a bushing wrench to break your gun down
I still like my springers but if I was going to go semi custom I don't think it would be a wilson. To me, and this is MY opinion, they just seem like very nice factory pieces, where the Brown and Baer seem like a little more hand crafted. Again, this is my opinion YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 5:11:43 AM EDT
Another Nighthawk(Talon)owner here
Although I had issues at first, they were quicky resolved and it shoots like a laser.
Almost at 3k rounds and it's still tight as a drum.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 7:07:37 AM EDT

Originally Posted By STEEL1212:

I still like my springers but if I was going to go semi custom I don't think it would be a wilson. To me, and this is MY opinion, they just seem like very nice factory pieces, where the Brown and Baer seem like a little more hand crafted. Again, this is my opinion YMMV.

And perhaps one based on the pictures or one based 6' above the counter at the store. Grab a WC and check the slide to frame finish then the trigger up close. It's not possible to have that opinion once you really see/feel that kind of workmanship.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 7:38:28 AM EDT
I have felt wilsons, I have shot wilsons, they are very nice guns but I just don't think they are as nice as a Baer or a Brown. Like I said this is my opinion and yours evidently differs.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 7:48:47 AM EDT

I have felt wilsons, I have shot wilsons, they are very nice guns but I just don't think they are as nice as a Baer or a Brown. Like I said this is my opinion and yours evidently differs.

Yes, these are all just opinions. When you talking about this much money there are really very few differences in these pistols. I, for one, feel the Wilson is a much better value than the Brown and equal to the Baer. Baer's are normally just a little cheaper and are very well made. But for me it comes down to the service, should you need it. I have read (I know, it's just internet rumor) too many stories of Ed Brown (and employees) and Les Baer (and employees) being complete assholes on the phone. One well know dealer (always on louderthanwords.us forum) has even decided to quit selling Browns due to the horrible service. From his add "We are going to quit stocking Ed Brown products due to some customer service issues. They are great pistols but not reimbursing customers shipping cost for factory defects is not consistent with our customer service policy".

I'll consider a Brown in the future, but only because I have a very good local 'smith to fix any issues (should there be one) with the gun from the factory. Wilson (I should confirm this before I write it) and Nighthawk will send for the pistol, fix it and send it back to you no questions asked. Can't beat that.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 8:15:34 AM EDT
no bushing wrench required. I am talk abou barrel lock up to the slide. Was crap on the springer.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 8:24:47 AM EDT
Go with the Taurus PT45!!

(someone had to say it!)
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 8:56:01 AM EDT
Trigger time will tell if they are a "deal" or just worth less than what you paid.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 1:18:50 PM EDT

When I hold them, I think the exact opposite. Baers are very nice, but feel a bit rough. And Browns seem like nicely polished production pieces. I have owned a Brown, but not a Baer (although I'd like to!). I'm incredibly biased and will say so right up front. I LOVE my Wilson.

Link Posted: 8/23/2006 6:18:26 AM EDT
Great post, lots of good info. I'm looking into getting one of these pistols, and was curious how the RRA pistols compare. Any thoughts on those? The Pro Carry looks very nice to me.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 10:23:41 AM EDT
Have had all three. Still have the Wilson and the Baer, next 1911 will be another Baer. IMHO, Can't beat them for the money. Just my $0.02
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 2:43:45 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 2:49:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SGB:

Originally Posted By anykey:
Great post, lots of good info. I'm looking into getting one of these pistols, and was curious how the RRA pistols compare. Any thoughts on those? The Pro Carry looks very nice to me.

The RRA's rate right with the bunch, very nicely made semi custom 1911's.

I would take great pride in owning any of them.

Thanks. The Pro Carry seems to have all the features I'm looking for. I just need to fond someone who has a RRA I can handle before I throw down $1800.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 3:15:26 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SGB:

Originally Posted By anykey:

The RRA's rate right with the bunch, very nicely made semi custom 1911's.

I would take great pride in owning any of them.

Big 'ole +1. A "Smith's Smith" told me that if there were ANY semi custom he'd go with, that it would hands down be the RRA.
Top Top