Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2005 4:12:32 AM EDT
Wilson Speed-Chute vs. S&A Magwell:

I recently received a Wilson two-tone Protector I ordered through MT_Pockets with a Wilson Speed-Chute installed. The blending of the Speed-Chute to the beveled magwell is essentially seamless. In the time between ordering the Protector and receiving it I have heard about the S&A magwell and it's popularity. What are the similarities/differences between the two? Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:59:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Similarities are that they both work well, and both have a large opening that extend below the gun, necessitating extended base pads on your mags.  The Wilson differs in that the well can be removed, since it's a two piece design.  The S&A is a one piece, but it's easy enough to have a spare mainspring housing to swap out if you ever want to change it.  

Most people like the S&A better for a couple reasons.  To most, it looks nicer.  Also, you can order square bottom grips that fit flush with the top of the magwell, resulting in a very finished appearance.  

If you decide to switch to an S&A, it will be narrower than  your mag well opening.  It will not impede function, and will strictly be a cosmetic issue.  Blending the two together for a really seamless fit involves grinding with both the frame and the magwell together.  IF you go this route, you will need the frame refinshed, and the Wilson well will probably no longer be blended to your frame.  A really good smith can blend an S&A close to your frame without grinding the frame itself, but it will not be the perfect match that you already have.  The Wilson well is every bit as functional though, so you're probably better off not switching.  Just my two cents worth though.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:58:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top