Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/20/2005 6:22:12 PM EDT
O.k, I actually serached this time and found no answer to my question in current topicso r in the archive, so here goes....

I've read more times than I could count that the S&A 'tail is the way to go on an SA, but when I talked to my smith to get a price quote, he said he liked to use Wilson Combat.

Then I researched and saw that Wilson uses a smaller radius than even the .220" of the S&A.

Some people have said the gap is minimal on the S&A, but there still is a little gap. If I can't get the 'tail looking clean (no gaps or poor fitting) I'll just stick with the stock 'tail.

I read somewhere that by using the WC 'tail, the gap can be eliminated since the WC uses an even smaller radius than the .220" S&A radius.

Anyone know if this is the case?

Also, isn't there someone else that uses the WC radius? Clark maybe?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:25:31 PM EDT
Both will work, the S&A looks better to me, and its the Brown that needs to have the tangs welded to fit.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:44:38 PM EDT
While I was waiting for replies, I saw a pic of the S&A. It's not bad at all. IT at least looks factory when installed. It's 85% function and 15% appearance to me, so I don't want to spend $200 or so on the install. It'll cost me around $100 as it is.

I just keep seeing these custom guns with the really tight looking 'tails, and I get envious. I like my SA, but I see a Caspian frame in my future.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:55:32 PM EDT
Wilson uses a compound radius. It's not actually smaller than the .220". It's just different. The main thing is that the Wilson, like the S&A, has a much lower top height. This is just not feasible with the .250 radius beavertails. Anyway, the Wilson or the S&A are the only two that really work well with SA frames, and that goes for Para too.

There are several others that share the same radius as the Wilson, but they don't have the low top surface of the Wilson. They are Clark, Caspian, Safari Arms, and King's. Clark just switched to a new .250" design. All of these have a top surface that is higher than the SA grip tangs.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:34:05 AM EDT
I just had a S&A put in my SA Champion recently. It looks like it came from the factory with it.
Top Top