Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2016 7:43:25 PM EDT
I have an STI Ranger II 1911 .45ACP. I just picked up a Wilson Combat Bulletproof Semi-extended Slide Release.

After I installed the Nighthawk Customs magwell/mainspring housing, I went ahead to reassemble the 1911 with the WC Slide Release.

I began to function test it and realized the safety would not engage. Then I realized that the slide was not all the way forward in the home position. It was about 1/16-1/32" bumped rearward. The slide did not sit flush with the frame. Upon racking the slide, I realized it was sticking a little bit.

What is the proper way to fit the slide release onto my 1911? I assume the pin itself may be to thick causing it to get locked up and not allowing the slide to move forward.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:20:35 PM EDT
[#1]
The slide stop diameter is greater than the original. You could turn down the slide stop or fit the barrel lugs. Either are best done by a gunsmith.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:32:23 PM EDT
[#2]
1911 parts need to be fitted.  They are generally not drop in replacements.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 11:14:52 PM EDT
[#3]
If you have your original slide release, use a good caliper or micrometer to measure your original slide release pin diameter.  Compare that to your new part.  This will give you an idea of how much material will need to be removed...IF this is indeed the issue.  My brain is a bit fuzzy right now and I can't think of what else it could be at the moment.

You will somehow need to EVENLY, along the whole pin, reduce the diameter of your new slide stop pin to the diameter of the old one.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 11:39:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Looks like you were able to assemble the gun.If so its not the slide stop pin diameter.Look at the inside part of the slide stop,
chances it needs some fitting on the underside of the slide stop.Slot underside of the slide stop needs to be checked that its clearing the frame
and not hanging up.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 3:04:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
1911 parts need to be fitted.  They are generally not drop in replacements.
View Quote

I realize this, hence I am inquiring how to properly fit the part and verify that my issue is solved my reducing the pin diameter.

I will mic the pin diameter later on and verify size vs factory pin. If that is the case, I can just send it to my smith to have it turned down a bit.

I did not think it was the other part of the slide release that was hanging up on the slide. Underside of my slide has not bumps or raised edges where it would ride through the slide stop. I didn't check the frame, thinking it wouldn't have affected how the slide to not seat home. But I'll take another look later on. The slide release works in terms of locking slide rearward and will insert without any resistance.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top