Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/7/2010 6:25:41 PM EDT
Help me find a comparable alternative that is neither a Kimber nor a 3 inch gun.

The compact size and 1911 platform are her main draws.

The Kimber brand and frame size are my main concerns.

Discuss.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:32:00 PM EDT
how about a defender?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:47:03 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 19119640:
how about a defender?

We've looked at them and they are definitely a consideration. My concern is still the 3 inch size. She is competent and is training with malfunction and clearance drills but I'd still be more comfortable with a less finicky size.

What are the Colt models with a Commander slide matted to an Officer frame?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:54:31 PM EDT
my kimber goes bang every time. excellent piece. look at the CDP Compact or the Stainless Compact.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:02:57 PM EDT
Originally Posted By vteng10:
my kimber goes bang every time. excellent piece. look at the CDP Compact or the Stainless Compact.

I had several extraordinarily poor experiences with Kimber customer service back when I had my TLE/RL II (external extractor model). The gun shot brilliantly when it was working correctly but I've become apprehensive about the schwartz safety and Kimber's uncanny ability to weasel their way out of warranty work.

I'm not completely opposed to the Raptor but my past experience with Kimber gives me pause when I think about owning another one.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:15:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Mobil1:
Originally Posted By 19119640:
how about a defender?

We've looked at them and they are definitely a consideration. My concern is still the 3 inch size. She is competent and is training with malfunction and clearance drills but I'd still be more comfortable with a less finicky size.

What are the Colt models with a Commander slide matted to an Officer frame?
CCO

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:11:05 AM EDT
Help me find a comparable alternative that is neither a Kimber nor a 3 inch gun.

Discuss.

With the introduction of the super carry I would probably look at that gun over the raptor. If you don't like the kimber line based off of past experience (perhaps the external extractor isn't the best they have to offer but I understand the beef with CS) take a look at STI. They have some 3 inch models that have good track records including the Elektra which was designed by and for women as they state it. They also have the guardian which is more of a commander size. Being in Texas you should be able to get your hands on them pretty easily.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:37:49 AM EDT
Les Baer Stinger
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:00:40 AM EDT
Recently got the Ultra Tactical II as a companion to my Tactical Pro II. No problems here only have about three hundred rounds or so thru it but so far its a tack driver.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:27:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/8/2010 12:34:30 PM EDT by Evil_Ed]
Get a Detonics Combatmaster. They're on ebay for not very expensive these days (well, cheaper than the Kimber would be new, anyway).

Victory Arms makes replacement recoil spring assemblies for them, so you can quickly swap out the old unit for a new set of springs without a mess.

Recoil isn't nearly as punishing on the Detonics as it is on the Kimber. I know; I had both. Sold the Kimber a while ago. It was nice, but it was somewhat punishing and just not pleasant to shoot after a couple mags. The Detonics, on the other hand, I can shoot all day and not have a problem with.

Just another option to think over..

Edited to add - these are the guys who pioneered the 3" size. Colt only stepped up after these guys exposed a market that Colt didn't have an entry for yet. The only times my gun has ever bobbled, it's purely been magazine spring related; springs not strong enough to feed the faster moving slide. I've never had a failure to feed, extract, or eject otherwise.

Actually I take that back - I did have some failures to feed with some Wolf .45ACP. Yes, that's right, I ran Wolf through mine, about 50 rounds. The Wolf's case mouth would get a little deformed sometimes, just enough to prevent it from feeding all the way in. Out of the 50, 3 rounds had this problem. Since no sane human on earth would ever actually use Wolf for anything other than giggles and blasting ammo, I don't consider it an important metric Otherwise, out of the 600 or 700 rounds I've had through it, almost all Wal-mart bought Winchester White Box (plus some Winchester hollowpoint +Ps), I haven't had a failure that wasn't magazine spring related. Yes, I know, 600-700 rounds isn't very much...it's been a rough few years ammo-wise; it wasn't until this year that Wal-mart finally actually kept ammo in stock locally...never mind the price is still $40 for a box of 100
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:28:24 PM EDT
Just picked up the Wiley Clapp Colt Commander, and I love it. Light, good sized, and puts rounds where I want em. The gun outshoots me everytime.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:11:22 PM EDT
We're looking at the STI Guardian. Its basically a Colt CCO set up.

Are there any issues we should be aware of with the Recoil Master recoil rod set up?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:20:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2010 1:23:14 PM EDT by Justin-Kase]

Discuss.

SGB's probably gonna ban me for mentioning it in the 1911 forums, but my wife who has her own CDP Ultra really likes the ergonomics and trigger of the M&P 45c. Might be worth at least seeing if it fits her hand.

ETA, I've had two other Kimbers a 4" Tactical Pro & 5" target, none including the wife's CDP ran 100% even with quality mags, but they looked good.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:37:07 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:53:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2010 5:55:05 PM EDT by Mobil1]
The MP45c is a gun I'd like to pick up at some point in the future but my wife prefers SAO over DAO (even if it is a nice DAO). I appreciate the suggestion, its already been on the table but like I said, she's sold on SAO.

The DW CCO is a nice looking gun. Any idea how the STI Guardian stacks up to it? I understand the DW is a higher dollar gun but as far as reliability goes, is there really going to be a difference?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:02:02 PM EDT
The MP45c is a gun I'd like to pick up at some point in the future but my wife prefers SAO over DAO (even if it is a nice DAO). I appreciate the suggestion, its already been on the table but like I said, she's sold on SAO.

The DW CCO is a nice looking gun. Any idea how the STI Guardian stacks up to it? I understand the DW is a higher dollar gun but as far as reliability goes, is there really going to be a difference?

Both guns should be solid. It is possible to get a bad apple but both companies put out reliable guns.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:04:00 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:19:56 PM EDT
I loved my STI Guardian. Only reason I sold it was to get an Ed Brown Kobra Carry.
Would be my choice if I were to get another production CCO size pistol.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:12:06 PM EDT
Other than requiring tools for field stripping, are there any reliability issues or technical problems I should be aware of with the Recoil Master recoil system?

I think the Guardian is the ticket. If it shoots well, I might have to buy another one for myself.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:16:07 PM EDT
Discuss.

If she want's a Raptor she wants is because it is pretty. Seriously, the only real difference between Kimbers more expensive offerings and their base models is cosmetic.

Quality is the same as any other Kimber, i.e. fine, and no better or worse than any of the other big names ever since they got ride of the stupid external extractor. I've never had any issues with my Ultra other than some bad ammo. (if the ammo won't fit a case gage I can't blame the pistol)

I'd recommend a Kimber Compact over the Ultra: 30 fps more muzzle velocity and another inch of sight radius, plus some theoretical increase in reliability.

Otherwise, I'd highly recommend the Dan Wesson CCO. But that probably costs more than a Raptor.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:10:53 PM EDT
Originally Posted By NVGdude:
Discuss.

If she want's a Raptor she wants is because it is pretty. Seriously, the only real difference between Kimbers more expensive offerings and their base models is cosmetic.

Quality is the same as any other Kimber, i.e. fine, and no better or worse than any of the other big names ever since they got ride of the stupid external extractor. I've never had any issues with my Ultra other than some bad ammo. (if the ammo won't fit a case gage I can't blame the pistol)

I'd recommend a Kimber Compact over the Ultra: 30 fps more muzzle velocity and another inch of sight radius, plus some theoretical increase in reliability.

Otherwise, I'd highly recommend the Dan Wesson CCO. But that probably costs more than a Raptor.

Yeah, she liked the look of the Raptor. I don't care if her gun is pink and glittery as long as it runs. If the Raptor is just as reliable as any other Ultra size Kimber then so be it.

But I think the STI Guardian and DW CCO have moved to the top of her list. We'd like to handle a CCO before committing to the Guardian. The aluminum frame is a big consideration in terms of weight and comfort of carry.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:48:13 AM EDT
Discuss.

Yeah, she liked the look of the Raptor. I don't care if her gun is pink and glittery as long as it runs. If the Raptor is just as reliable as any other Ultra size Kimber then so be it.

But I think the STI Guardian and DW CCO have moved to the top of her list. We'd like to handle a CCO before committing to the Guardian. The aluminum frame is a big consideration in terms of weight and comfort of carry.

I've picked up a woman's purse before and if she can handle that kind of weight then 5 ounces won't make much of a difference regardless of how she carries it!
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:08:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/12/2010 5:09:21 AM EDT by Mobil1]
Originally Posted By kchustle:
Discuss.

I've picked up a woman's purse before and if she can handle that kind of weight then 5 ounces won't make much of a difference regardless of how she carries it!

You pose an excellent point. But if the gun weighs too much, she might ditch all the delicious snacks she carts around for me.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:05:42 PM EDT

Discuss.

I've regularly shot and carried 3" Kimbers for about 4 years, without a problem of any type. I carry, daily, a 3" Kimber Ultra Tactical II.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 1:09:40 PM EDT
Your wife shouldn't ever be carrying in her purse ever, period. She should be on the body carrying or not carrying at all. Purse carry will make it harder to access the weapon and harder to retain it. She is most likely going to be the victim of a purse jacking or robbery by force anyway. With womens clothing I have found that my wife will only reliably carry a .380. 45'would be nice but unfeAsBle
Top Top