Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2006 7:23:02 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/27/2006 7:26:23 PM EST by KS_Physicist]
I am giddy at the fact that my wife has expressed an interest in a handgun, although she picked one that I don't know a whole lot about.

I'm aware that it's JMB's design post-1911; other than that, I'm kind of at a loss.

What price would I expect to pay for a new or like-new Hi-Power? Are there any reliability or servicability issues to be concerned with? Are they at all finicky about ammunition?

I figure a 9mm is a great caliber for her, and I might even convince her to get her CCW. I'd like for her to carry decent hollow point ammunition, which is why I am wondering about any potential feed problems.

I might spend the extra on her Browning and get my Springfield XD that I've been ogling for a while, but I AM starting to like the looks and reputation of the Hi-Power. I could live with 9mm. Perhaps I can find a deal on two...

Jim

p.s.--My wife has fairly petite hands. I see the HP is a double-stack gun;any comments on suitability for a petite woman's hands?
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 8:40:21 PM EST
The HP is a very simple and reliable design. My wife had to have one after my friend gave me his to break-in for him. She bought the model with the matte finish and ambidextrous safety. The grip fits her hand comfortably and the slide is easy for her to rack. After fifteen years, she hasn't had any feeding or reliability issues.

Hers looks a lot like this, but she has a Pachmayr grip.

See if you can find a range that will rent you one, to see if the grip fits her hand okay. I feel I have to warn you though. The 9mm HP is a 'gateway gun' and you will be buying her more guns down the road.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 9:09:12 PM EST

Originally Posted By coyote3:

See if you can find a range that will rent you one, to see if the grip fits her hand okay. I feel I have to warn you though. The 9mm HP is a 'gateway gun' and you will be buying her more guns down the road.

I'm going to check to see if the Bullet Hole in Overland Park, KS does rentals. I think they do.

As for it being a "gateway gun"...GOOD. :)

Jim
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 6:18:17 AM EST
I'm a 1911 shooter, but love the Hi Power. I'm not sure it would be the best gun for your wife though as it's at it's best when carried cocked and locked.

Here's a great site for Hi Power info. Check it out... www.hipowersandhandguns.com/HiPowerComments.html
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 12:04:43 AM EST
Your wife has impeccable taste for being a handgun "newbie"

She probably fell for it because it feels so good in the hand. It's one of those pistols (like a Luger) that just feels like a natural extension of the hand.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 5:31:02 AM EST
Prices will vary quite a bit, you will see them for $400 to $800. Keep in mind the FN Hi-Power is the same exact gun and almost always goes for less than the Browning marked ones. FN (Fabrique Nationale) makes them, not Browning.

If you shop around on the internet you should find better deals than locally...at least thats my experience. I found a NIB Browning HP with the matte finish in January for $500 on Gunsamerica. CDNNSports.com had the FN ones for $399 a while back but I believe they are out of the 9MM. I bought a .40 BHP from them a while ago. You will have to download their catalog, they don't post guns on their website. I'd also try gunbroker.com and auctionarms.com

Top Top