Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 3/10/2006 6:57:29 AM EDT
Share your experiences. Were you a happy gun addict before marriage, but now cant get what you want cuz the wife?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:07:41 AM EDT
just the opposite in my house, wife wants to be sure we have enough ammo for all guns, doesn't want to run out. just like me as far as seeing a gun and letting it follow you home, hell we just bought a couple of Super Snipers, one from the group buy and one while waiting for the group buy to come through, so my wife has only added to my addiction, God bless her!
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:16:54 AM EDT
My wife's not a gun enthusiast, but as long as I pay the bills and give her a few bucks to go outlet shopping now and then, she doesn't really care what I buy.

In fact, she recently told me I don't have to keep asking permission before making major gun purchases. I told her I'll let her fire my M16 when I get it
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:27:22 AM EDT
My wife is cool with it. We have been married for six months and I've bought four new guns during that time. She even went with me to Knob Creek in October and helped me pack out mags and ammo.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:43:22 AM EDT
My wife got a large bonus last Friday--on Sat. I baught a brand new Colt 6450 (9mm) and on Monday ordered over $600 worth of upper/LPK/stock from PK (which I already received, by the way--excellent service)

And I quit a good paying job last year to go back to college full time and get my degree----just had to brag, she's the GREATEST

(and no, she's not standing over my shoulder, reading this)
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:07:43 AM EDT

Originally Posted By AZ-Dave:
My wife got a large bonus last Friday--on Sat. I baught a brand new Colt 6450 (9mm) and on Monday ordered over $600 worth of upper/LPK/stock from PK (which I already received, by the way--excellent service)

And I quit a good paying job last year to go back to college full time and get my degree----just had to brag, she's the GREATEST

(and no, she's not standing over my shoulder, reading this)

damn! wish i had a suger mamma like that

my current gf said at one point she only wanted me to have 1 gun in the house if we get married. i told her there was absolutely no way that would happen, and she dropped it pretty quick. besides, she's startin to like shooting. just bought her her own 1911
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:43:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/10/2006 9:45:13 AM EDT by dumbyhotshot]
I try to get my gf to go shooting with me but she is more interested in clothes and decorating. She has a wather ppk that she keeps in her bedside table, but doesnt fire it much. She tells me to buy what I want, but I know she thinks Im being rediculous with all the gun buying. I have to agree with her to some degree, but dammit I NEED that 1911 to round out the handgun collection.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:10:05 AM EDT
get a new woman.

I built my wife a purple AK. Now she reminds me that since she works on Saturdays, I have to wait till sunday to go shooting so she can come along.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 12:11:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/10/2006 12:14:50 PM EDT by dakotasin]
my wife doesn't care anymore - but she used to. i wasn't really a gun nut before we were married. i liked guns, but was mostly a hunting nut. now, i'm a hard-core hunting addict and an incurable gun nut.

we had a huge fight about guns before we were married. i told her they were her before her, and they'd be here after she left. and everything was fine for awhile.

then, 3 years ago she told me 'no more guns'. an hour later i trudged my 480 ruger thru the door.

2 years ago she said 'no more guns'. and, well i'll be! lookit that! a new sig 229 just came home w/ me. a week after that she said it again, and damn! a new remington 700/leupold found its way into my truck. she gave up after that.

she's not anti, or even on the fence... her carry piece is a s&w 686, she's deadly to prairie dogs w/ her 223, and she can put a little whoop-ass to the pheasants w/ her 20 gauge mossberg... but when i got another new gun safe 2 x-mases ago and it was filled within 2 months, she thought i might need to slow down a little because i was running out of storage options... i think she's right this time...

so, no, my wife hasn't hindered me. i hinder myself just fine.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 12:53:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ArmedFerret:
get a new woman.

I built my wife a purple AK. Now she reminds me that since she works on Saturdays, I have to wait till sunday to go shooting so she can come along.

Maybe If I build her a pink AR she will shoot with me.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 1:32:31 PM EDT
i would seriously recommend it (and i was just joking on the "get a new woman" line; the Nuge says that all the time. ). just ask her if she wants you to build her a rifle that's only hers; make a big deal out of it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 1:34:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By dumbyhotshot:

get a new woman.

but first she will have to buy a purse, shoes, and who knows what else to go with it. and if she doesn't like it, ain't nobody gonna want to buy it.

my gf said a couple times she wants to learn to shoot but by taking a class which is fine by me. then she does nothing about it. maybe i will just sign her up and pay for it myself. i figure if she gets to go spend $300 on a coach purse then i can go spend $100 on ammo. but i am trying to keep myself to 4 guns for the time being. but i will probably up that to 5 this spring.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 1:42:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By aaronrb204:

but first she will have to buy a purse, shoes, and who knows what else to go with it. and if she doesn't like it, ain't nobody gonna want to buy it.

my wife just needed bra and thong to match. she isn't a big shoe/purse kinda girl.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:37:22 AM EDT

Originally Posted By aaronrb204:

my wife just needed bra and thong to match. she isn't a big shoe/purse kinda girl.

you are a lucky man. just tell me she was wearing clothes at the range cause i have caught some hot brass on my arms and legs and that ain't too fun. so i can't imagine what it would feel like on the small of the back or other tender areas.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:37:49 AM EDT
My wife says nothing and I do not ask her permission for anything. I do my best to take good care of her though and she knows I will pay the bills and put food on the table. If I was in a gun store just admiering something and some NAG started in on me and told me "Put that down you do not need it." I would go home with a new gun for sure. My wife is the greatest. She has some of her own guns but does not like them as much as I do. She is more into shoes and kitchen stuff which is fine buy me.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:40:29 AM EDT
She's not my wife, but...
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:45:23 PM EDT
My wife can't say a word because guns are cheaper than horses!!!
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:42:53 PM EDT
I've learned to say that I am buying the gun for 'her.' Realistically she doesn't even like shooting that much but as long as I'm buying 'her' a gun I seem to be in the clear!
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:26:59 PM EDT
I am planning to have my direct deposit to 2 different accounts. One will get 95% and 5% to the other. 5% is my gun account.

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:35:18 PM EDT
always keep an empty slot in the safe so it doesn't look full...and in the second safe so it doesn't look full either...and spread the artillery around the house and garage because it looks like a lot when it's all together but not so bad if she sees one at a time here and there.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:44:30 AM EDT
My wife doesnt shoot. She shows basically zero interest in it. Frankly, I think the reality of why I own and carry weapons scares her too much. I suppose it probably should...the idea that I would need to kill others in our defense is a pretty frightening proposition. Still, she is completely supportive. She knows why I carry, and never gives me any resistance about the money I spend on weapons. If anything, she has encouraged me to get what I feel I need. When I wasnt happy with one CCW, she said I should feel free to get another that was better suited for me. When I found a rifle that I had longed for most of my adult life she was happy for me when I put down the cash to bring it home. When I find a great deal on a used gun, she seems happy that I got a good bargain, rather than bitching about more guns I am spending money on.

If there are other priorities, then one needs to focus their finances where they must.
If the cash isnt the problem, then I suggest laying the truth out as it exists.
Keeping it bottled up inside will get you nowhere.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:09:32 PM EDT
we are thinking of buying a new house (with a large mortgage payment)
as we were talking about the budget she asked if I would still be able to shoot as often as I like

no trouble here!!

i guess I'm lucky!!!
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:21:18 PM EDT
No problems here, I make 2.5 times more than her and all our bills are paid and current then I use my money for what I want.

She has Bingo, I have weapons.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:17:29 PM EDT
Been married 40 years. When we got married I was a pretty steady drinker. After about 4 years we had a big fight one day and she told me that with the drinking and being gone shooting almost every weekend that she couldn't take it anymore. I give up drinking, but I still have my guns and my wife.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:36:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/12/2006 6:37:23 PM EDT by ADaughen]
My fiance can't see the need for a bunch of different guns, but her dad, my dad, and I are showing her the benefits. :D She didn't know her dad was an avid shooter. He never took her out with him. (He didn't have any sons and he never shared that hobby with his daughters)

She is a great shot with everything we have from the Ruger MkII to the 1911.

I just told her, she doesn't have to like guns, I just want her to know how to use them effectively to terminate any threat that might enter our new house.

She is to the point where we go shooting about every month together.

I have been getting some new guns, but I have been trying to get rid of my less desirable ones in the process. That way I am not spending small fourtunes on a stock pile I'll never be able to shoot. (Sell two ok guns to pay for one nice one == very little money out of pocket) And my cabinet also looks less crowded.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:57:09 PM EDT
I was agonizing over the decision of which pistol to get, when telling my wife about it she said In true ARFcom fashion...
"Just go ahead and get one, then save up the money to get the other one later"

I love my wife!!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:02:40 AM EDT
Get your pimp hand strong, tell that bitch to shut up and like it.

<hopes wife doesn't ever read this, or I'll get my ass kicked>
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:55:52 AM EDT
As long as I buy my wife a gun for every one that I own, she is fine with it.

She has:
SA 1911 with too many upgrades to mention (Damn thing is worth over 1.3k, grumble)
Berretta 96 .40 cal
S&W .38 on the way

I tried to convince her to sell the 1911 to fund our new kitchen building project but she gave me the finger. I'd have to agree with the above person that said get a new woman. Someone who understands will support your hobbies(if you keep them healthy), no matter what hobbies they are.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:15:30 PM EDT
I got Colt Series 70 for my wife...best trade I ever made...
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:08:23 PM EDT

I'd have to agree with the above person that said get a new woman. Someone who understands will support your hobbies(if you keep them healthy), no matter what hobbies they are.

Well with a very good job opportunity on the horizon I can see a new 1911 in hand soon. Just have to decide on kimber tle or some springer (a $1200 trp will really get her wondering about my new obsession).
Top Top