Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2006 7:07:49 PM EDT
I wish to find a stainless steel, wide hammer and trigger that are mated for one another for my Smith and Wesson 686.  Any suggestions as to where I might find them besides going to the performance shop at S&W?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:09:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 1:00:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Years ago, you used to see articles in the gun magazines on "How to install your own target hammer and trigger in S&W revolvers".

The articles made it SOUND like these were "drop-in" parts, and you could just stick them in and be good to go.

The trouble is, the hammer and trigger "often" DO install with little trouble, BUT NOT ALL THE TIME.
In most cases at least some fitting is required.
Shortly after these articles appeared, I'd get a wave of S&W revolvers with non-functioning actions that had brand new hammers and triggers.

Another factor:  S&W has made changes to the internal parts over the years, and parts OFTEN are totally wrong and won't work.

While you can buy new hammers and triggers from parts suppliers like Gun Parts Corporation, Jack First, Brownell's and others, you simply can't guarantee that the parts will fit or work safely.

As above, send it in to S&W for a 100% RIGHT job.
Plus S&W has the correct parts and will install them at prices as good as most local gunsmith's.

Bottom line is, this is one of those things just enough people get away with to temp everyone else.
You're better off getting it done right the first time.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:34:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks a bunch.  That really sets things in perspective for me.  I'll check with S&W.  Appreciate the replies.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top