Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2006 4:12:58 PM EDT
Sometimes with my xd 40, when shooting. The slide does not push the round into the chamber from the magazine. The round goes about 1/2 way from mag to chamber but does not go all the way in, causing the slide to stay half way open. Its not just the mag, it happens with all of my mags, i don't think im limp wristing either? when this happens usually all i need to do is touch the slide and it will go the rest of the way forward.

This is pretty frustrating because I've tried keeping the thing spotless and well oiled, but it seems like this happens regardless. It doesnt happen all the time, but sucks none the less.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 6:45:02 PM EDT
[#1]
What ammo are you using? should't make a difference but i was just wondering. It sounds like either the lips of the mag or feeding ramp. How ld is the gun? how many rounds through?
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 7:02:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Mine tends to do some what the same thing yours is doing. I fire a round or two and then click… no bang. I look at the slide at is sitting back Not enough to where I can see in the chamber but enough so that it will not fire. If I just tap the slid forward a little (if I caught it be for I pulled the trigger) it will fire. Does not happen a lot but once is enough.

I have given the gun a good cleaning since but I have not had a change to test it. Sorry
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 7:45:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
What ammo are you using? should't make a difference but i was just wondering. It sounds like either the lips of the mag or feeding ramp. How ld is the gun? how many rounds through?

The ammo i usually use is independence fmj. I'm pretty sure 180 grain but dong quote me on it. The gun was bought mid may. What do you mean by the lips of the magazine. I have had a problem with my speed loader lately. I push it down and try to put the next round in but the mag wont hold the rear of the round in, it pops out. I'm thinkin it may have spread a little. Could this be the source of my problems?
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 11:38:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Mine did this also. I sent it back to the factory and they returned it with a note saying they "reemed the chamber and tuned the extractor". Now in the last 300 rounds the gun runs 100% perfect. Send it back to Springfield with a picture and a note detailing the problem and they will fix the gun.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 8:55:00 AM EDT
[#5]
A little judicious polishing of the chamber mouth/ramp using some extremely light material should polish it up right nicely, IMO. That would cure the problem, I bet.

I would try different ammo, several brands actually. Not all guns like all brands.

Good luck!

Link Posted: 8/24/2006 4:49:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The ammo i usually use is independence fmj. I'm pretty sure 180 grain but dong quote me on it. The gun was bought mid may. What do you mean by the lips of the magazine. I have had a problem with my speed loader lately. I push it down and try to put the next round in but the mag wont hold the rear of the round in, it pops out. I'm thinkin it may have spread a little. Could this be the source of my problems?

The reason i asked amout the ammo is for the exact reason that BobCole said. Not all guns like all ammo. I've shot several guns that only like certin ammo. Also i've seen it happen once or twice that the feed lips of the mag(the top of the mag that actually holds the round in the mag) spread enough that it allows the round to move too far to one side so the round doesn't hit the feed ramp correctly and will cause a jam. normally just pushing the lips together ALITTLE might solve the problem. also make sure the feeding ramp is completely clean and that there are no burs or anything on that ramp. hopefully one of those solves it. trying different ammo is prob a good idea. .... pick up a box of winchester, federal, if you want the Reminton UMC or whatever but try that. if the other ideas don't work
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 7:13:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

not saying this is the problem but I'm pretty sure (positive actually) that should not happen!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top