Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2004 2:25:57 PM EDT
I hear that its performance is good and its just passed over all too often...
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 2:35:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Because these days about the only guns available for it are 1911s, and if you are going to have a 1911, why would you skip .45ACP when it works, and ammo is easy to find?
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 4:33:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Much like the 10mm, its time has long passed. The .357Sig & .40S&W clearly sounded its death nell, IMO.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 10:51:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Depends on what type of performance you are looking for.  If your looking for a carry weapon as stated above you can't beat the stopping power of the .40 cal.  The .357 Sig is an awesome load also, but can be pricey depending on your location (tuff to find around here at a decent price).  If you are just looking for a back yard target plinking gun, I'd say there is nothing cheaper and more fun than a .22.  Now if your into competition there realy is no good competition gun that I can think of that will chamber a .38 Super without modification.  I have a S&W Model 52 which is an older auto that fires a .38 Special Wad Cutter and a Clark long slide 1911 that fires the same type of cartridge, but they are both pretty rare and with the popularity (and lack of pentalizing these days) of the 9mm even those two weapons are obsolete.  They sure are Bullseye competition killers though.  My $.02
After all that I guess the easy way to say it, is that the .38's are obsolete...
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 8:12:54 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Much like the 10mm, its time has long passed. The .357Sig & .40S&W clearly sounded its death nell, IMO.

And the .45acp sounded the death nell of the .357Sig & .40S&W back in 1911.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 9:57:47 AM EDT
[#5]
(Lets try not to make this thread a pissing war on pistol cal rounds......)

Hey, I leared to shoot with a 38 Super, so it has a special place with me!!!

As mentioned, the 38 Super is/was mainly a compatition round.  The issue w/ the Super is the weak case design.  People were loading them to pressures the case was not designed to hold (so goes the story).

Also, the 38 Super has been downloaded from it's original glory.  The rounds that I leared to shoot with was bougth in the late 60's early 70's.  And I sware, on the graves of John Moses Browning and Sam Colt that those kicked compared to the "modern" loadings (availbe in bulk).  The Cor-bon stuff... well, I haven't shot those, but performace is said to be good.

(Side note- The 38 Super was chambered in the all famuous Tommy gun!!!  Now, imagine that!!!  Unfortunatly, the ones made were all full auto...no semi's..WAAAA)

One solution, was the 9x23 when it came out.  But piss poor advertising, lack of available ammo and ammo price was its doom.  Is it still available?  Yes, but finding ammo is difficult.  You can't walk into Walmart and ask for some.  And some gun dealers don't even stock it.... unless the area has lots of 38 Super shooters.  If you have an area w/ lots of Hispanics, there will be ammo.  The 38 Super is "famouse and popular" in Mexico.

There is a wildcat solution- the 38 TJ  (Todd Jerret).  It is an updated case design.  Externally, it has the same mesurments as the 38 Super, except it is rimless (like the 9mm Luger) and has a deeper extractor groove AND the webbing of 9x23.  So it is stronger and will work in 38 Super chambered guns.  But as of now, the ammo is all user loaded (the compation guys).

You could say that the 38 TJ did for the 38 Super as what the 45 Super did for the 45 ACP.... MAGNUMIZED the loading.

I am planning on making a nice hi cap 38 Super gun.  Bought myself a few 18 and 20 round Para Ordance 38 Super mags.  And tracked down a nice deal on a LDA 9-18.  All this gun needs is a barrel swap and it's ready to go....

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top