Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/1/2006 4:47:49 PM EDT
Not sure why Ruger hasn't made a SP101 lightweight carry revolver like Smith & Wesson and Taurus has offered.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:01:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Same reason Colt never made a .44mag for 50 years or so after S&W did: stupidity or laziness; take your pick.    
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:21:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Ruger has never been one to innovate..........
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:40:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I am sure they will. Just give them another 30 years.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:54:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Unless the method that they use with  investment casting cannot be used with aluminum or titainium.

Quoted:
Unless the method that they use with MIM frames cannot be used with aluminum or titainium.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MIM is not the same as investment casting, but I bet that their ability to cast AL alloy is the reason.

You are correct Combat_Jack, edited to correct my mistake.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:53:04 AM EDT
[#5]
There are two things that Ruger simply can not do...small and light.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:58:19 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Unless the method that they use with MIM frames cannot be used with aluminum or titainium.

MIM is not the same as investment casting, but I bet that their ability to cast AL alloy is the reason.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:01:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Ruger has never been one to innovate..........

Sure the designs are unremarkable, but Bill Ruger, for whatever issues he had, did innovate. He revived the SAA type pistol and the single shot sporting rifle. His .22 automatics are excellent little weapons--and a new design. His innovation was more in the casting process--there is a reason Ruger is known for their investment casting--and in his ability to sell sporting arms that everyone else thought would not be appreciated.

I still don't like Ruger products.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:25:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Ruger's CEO retired on Feb. 28. of this year(2 days ago)

Maybe the new one will be a little more innovative
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:17:29 PM EDT
[#9]
IMO, Ruger makes the best .22 pistols and semi auto .22 rifles. Evrything else, I could care less.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:16:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
IMO, Ruger makes the best .22 pistols and semi auto .22 rifles. Evrything else, I could care less.

Their single action revolvers are pretty nice too.  Rifles?  Centerfire pistols?

As to the original question?  If it ain't broke...
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:30:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Have you ever fired a full house load 357 in a lightweight S&W? Unpleasant is an understatement. The Sp101 Is a brick, and as such apeals to me as a hand cannon. I can't hurt it, and the lines allow for a good concealability.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:13:50 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't think they did because they are not gun right friendly.  They probably don't think CCW should be legal...

I bash on them but they did recieve the lucrative A-Team contract back in the 80's.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top